EVgo Charging Rate Issue

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iPlug

Anyone else run into a similar problem?

Our 24 month benefit of No Charge to Charge expired last month. We have a Leaf on a 3 year lease. We had occasionally been using the EVgo network to do CHAdeMO charging for free.

A couple days ago, we went to charge at a CHAdeMO EVgo station expecting to have to pay this time around.

We thought we were prepared and understood the pricing after we opened the EVgo app where they advertised $.20/min CHAdeMO (walk up rate). We also double checked at their website prior to charging and they advertised a no session fee and no monthly fee “pay as you go” rate also at the the same $.20/min. No other obvious gotcha rates could be found. At the station we swiped our card and no pricing information showed. At first we were doubtful the Leaf would charge as our No Charge to Charge plan had expired. But the charging session started without incident.

Did this mean they forgot to deactivate our No Charge to Charge plan and give us a free charge? Quite the opposite - instead, we were charged $13.30 for a 20-21min charging session.

When I questioned them on this they insisted I defaulted to a higher (unadvertised) rate and credited back the erroneous charges as a “courtesy”. I provided them screenshots of the advertised walk up rate that they claimed was higher than $.20/min, but they could not come up with a plausible explanation. Ultimately, they noted they would forward this to IT for correction, though it still shows this $.20/min rate in my EVgo app after refresh right now.

Happy to continue to support the EV charging community (occasionally use and pay for Chargepoint, SemaCharge, and Blink), but will have to take business elsewhere until they can show the problem is fixed.

Not the same problem, but it took me weeks to get my EVgo NCTC card activated. After several emails in which the support person first insisted I hadn't activated my card, then offered to activate it (I had followed the activation procedure from the start) if I sent my number (they didn't do it) to a 10 minute call at the charging station in which they finally activated the card (and tried to activate the wrong station) I got my first charge the other night. Don't trust these people. It may be more incompetence than criminality, but that matters little in effect, except when they cancel charges.

Maybe I’m holding them to too high a standard. Would like to think they are part of the larger EV community and looking out for each other, trying to do the “right thing” and not taking advantage of others.

That’s why I was asking, hoping my case is an uncommon exception, one off sort of thing, rather than a pattern of behavior.

Their current advertised rates are actually quite reasonable as far as commercial rates go, if that is what they are actually charging.

You don't automatically get the 20 cent rate, you have to have that rate plan on your account. I just added CHAdeMO to my RAV4EV so was using EVGo for the first time in a long time, and they would have used my older, obsolete and more expensive rate plan if I didn't have them change it.

davewill said:
You don't automatically get the 20 cent rate, you have to have that rate plan on your account. I just added CHAdeMO to my RAV4EV so was using EVGo for the first time in a long time, and they would have used my older, obsolete and more expensive rate plan if I didn't have them change it.

Like I said, the $.20/min was advertised to me on the EVgo app. EVgo also confirmed I should have been charged the "walk up rate" and they confirmed that the rate should have showed on my EVgo app. It did. It was and is still $.20/min. I have the screenshots and I sent them these. They offered no plausible explanation. So yes, I should automatically get that $.20/min rate.

Also, they advertise only two plans of which only one is really a plan. Would they grandfather you into a hidden rate of $0.01/min if that existed? Nope. So to deploy a hidden high rate is quite shady.

Even if my walk up rate (non-plan rate) wasn't advertised at $0.20/min (again, it was) it would be unethical to charge more than the advertised base rate, which incidentally is the same.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending them. I was pissed they saw nothing wrong with leaving an obsolete plan that charged me MORE than their most expensive advertised rate on my account.

Back