Help with charging options

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quetzal

tl;dr Get cheap EVSE, update wiring for stock L2 EVSE, or buy a more expensive EVSE like a Juicebox?

Hi everyone, new member here and super excited to be a part of this cool kids club. Still learning my way around this crazy EV world. I searched but couldn't find the specific answers to my question.

I have a 2018 SV with the fast charging cable. The question I have is how I should go about L2 charging at home. I have an older outlet with a 10-30 plug in my garage. I've thought about getting a cheaper evse like the Duosida but I'm worried about this potentially affecting warranty? Is a cheap evse a concern about car damage, fire damage, or any other safety hazard?

If I don't go this route I've priced an electrician coming in to update the wiring and socket to be 40 amps and a 14-50 plug to get full 6.6 L2 charging. The price though is about the same as a nicer EVSE like a Juicebox which as I understand would balance my current amps and maximize available charge rate if I continued to use my current 10-30 plug with the 30 amps? In this scenario what would be the smartest option, updating my wiring and using my stock L2 EVSE with 6.6 charging, or getting a juicebox with a bit slower charging.

How committed to EV's are you and how long do you expect to be in your house?

I think the best options are to 1) get a JuiceBox or equivalent and charge at 30 * 0.8 = 24A using a NEW 10-30 plug or 2) update the wiring and 14-50 plug and use the Leaf's EVSE cable. If you upgrade the wiring, I'd go to 6AWG or whatever is required for 50A (40A continuous) as continuous loads are rated for 0.8 times nominal.

If you think you might be getting a bigger EV in the future and you will still be in your current house, 2 makes more sense long term since the wiring will already be upgraded for 40A charging if/when needed. If you want to keep your options open, 1) would allow you to take the JuiceBox if you move or sell the Leaf.

I'd go with the electrician. You'll have faster more efficient charging, and the added benefit of having the electrician's eyes on the wiring to know that everything is up to snuff (and code), as opposed to the old 10-30 in unknown condition.

An electrician will do a visual inspection, and you should be able to negotiate a modest fee in advance. If the existing wiring is fine, a used EVSE Upgrade EVSE ($300) could be semi-permanently installed there and you could safely charge at 16 amps, which is fast enough for an overnight charge. If the wiring is bad, a good electrician will deduct most or all of the cost of the inspection from the cost of the wiring job.

Get the JuiceBox. Run it at 24a on the existing circuit. If you ever get a car with a bigger charger, or move to a new place that needs wiring run, then put in a bigger circuit, and reuse the JuiceBox. Enough people here have gotten the Duosida that it's probably OK, but it seems like the wrong place to be cheap, especially for daily use.

You can't get 30 amps out of a 10-30 outlet, just to be clear -- I mean, you can, but not for sustained use, like charging a car. For that, you're supposed to downrate it to 80% -- hence the 24 amps cited above.

I don't think you should be concerned about a Duosida, but it might be reasonable to worry about the existing wiring.

You can't get 30 amps out of a 10-30 outlet, just to be clear -- I mean, you can, but not for sustained use, like charging a car. For that, you're supposed to downrate it to 80% -- hence the 24 amps cited above.

The OP seemed to understand that, but it doesn't hurt to note it for others. It's a shame that Nissan screwed up yet again by including a charging cable that can't be safely used with most dryer circuits. They must think most Americans live in or near RV parks.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to go the electrician upgrading the outlet route. Think long term that'll be best. Now to search for more reasonable quotes.

Back