GE Durastation Mod

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwblues

I would like to put a timer on my Durastation EVSE. Rather than just switch the power off and on with a heavy relay I would think it could be done with a low level switch. The board seems to have a lot more capability than I am using. Has anyone looked at this before?
I'm not sure if GE would tell you anything like that.

Many have put timers on other EVSEs. It really depends on how the EVSE acts on power up. Some, at least OpenEVSE can have the timer built in., My OpenEVSE has a timer built in but since Anaheim has no tiers I do not use it. It really helps in PG&E or Edison lands to charge in the middle of the night for cheap rates. If you have tiers a timer is a good thing.

The way OpenEVSE works is that it opens a window for charging. The defaults are 5 min after midnight and 5 min before 7AM. Most cars will finish well before 7AM. T%he settings are adjustable but most use the defaults.

I just need a very simple timer. I am retired and have no fixed schedule. I would just like to charge it for an hour or maybe a little more trying it keep it under 80%. Using the timer in Leaf requires too much effort to set each time.
I have an old microwave oven timer which can be set up to 99 minutes but it would require a 30 amp relay if I put it in the 240 VAC power lines. I assume there is a better way to do this.

If you wire a relay that is controlled by the timer to interupt the pilot signal, that should simulate pulling the plug and both the car and the EVSE will disconnect.

OpenEVSE pulls the pilot to 12V for standby. That has worked in both Leaf's The eGolf, And Both of my B;s. Since the pilot is only a low current signal it would be easy to use a small relay to pull the pilot line to 12V. That is assuming that 12V is easy to find in the durastation. It is very low current. I assume that 15V from the output op amp would work.

Back