mikeEmike

Re: Schneider EVSE

Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:My thought is that it is common for houses to have 200A service, but having more than 40A dedicated to EV charging would violate the load panel calculation.

Is there some specific rule related to EVSEs that this would violate? How is it different than any other continuous load when doing a load calculation? I'm in the same boat as well (200A service, have the Schneider EV2430WS, want to add another EVSE eventually). I think it should be possible, at least in my case because I have more than 40A to spare, but I'm planning on having an electrician come out to do a real load calculation when I get ready to add another EVSE since I don't know all the load calculation rules (obviously).

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Tue May 21, 2013 10:43 am

I assume the pilot signal is only read by the car at the time of initial connection and does not renegotiate dynamically. So you'd have to decide whether you wanted 16+16 or 32+0 (or lower amounts as suggested) before connecting either of the plugs.

This would be an easy upgrade for anyone getting a second EV who already had an EV with the 40A circuit installed. Just swap the units, no rewiring needed.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

davewill

Tue May 21, 2013 10:43 am

mikeEmike wrote:Is there some specific rule related to EVSEs that this would violate? How is it different than any other continuous load when doing a load calculation? I'm in the same boat as well (200A service, have the Schneider EV2430WS, want to add another EVSE eventually). I think it should be possible, at least in my case because I have more than 40A to spare, but I'm planning on having an electrician come out to do a real load calculation when I get ready to add another EVSE since I don't know all the load calculation rules (obviously).
I don't think so, especially if the "double" EVSE is one unit, with a sticker stating <=32a as the max current. There would be no reason to treat it differently than one with a single cord and plug on it.
LTLFTcomposite wrote:I assume the pilot signal is only read by the car at the time of initial connection and does not renegotiate dynamically. So you'd have to decide whether you wanted 16+16 or 32+0 (or lower amounts as suggested) before connecting either of the plugs.

This would be an easy upgrade for anyone getting a second EV who already had an EV with the 40A circuit installed. Just swap the units, no rewiring needed.
The cars do adjust dynamically. It's part of the spec (and Ingineer has reported testing it in the past).
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

LTLFTcomposite

Tue May 21, 2013 10:49 am

mikeEmike wrote:Is there some specific rule related to EVSEs that this would violate? How is it different than any other continuous load when doing a load calculation? I'm in the same boat as well (200A service, have the Schneider EV2430WS, want to add another EVSE eventually). I think it should be possible, at least in my case because I have more than 40A to spare, but I'm planning on having an electrician come out to do a real load calculation when I get ready to add another EVSE since I don't know all the load calculation rules (obviously).

I overgeneralized in that statement, my calculation came out to 201 amps with the 40A EVSE circuit, and I'm thinking for a lot of people with 200A service they too would be over the limit with a second 40A circuit. Not to mention I had to wafer up a couple other circuits to free up a slot, and now I'm maxed out on wafers with no more slots. I can get a 20-20 double pole wafer, but I don't think they make a 40-40 wafer.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra

LTLFTcomposite

Tue May 21, 2013 11:05 am

davewill wrote:]The cars do adjust dynamically. It's part of the spec (and Ingineer has reported testing it in the past).

There you go, no switch would be needed then. So for a given input capacity X amps (most commonly 32A on a 40A breaker):

First cord connected - supplied with X amps
Second cord connected - first cord reduced to X/2 amps, second cord supplied with X/2 amps
Current draw on either cord reduces below some threshold (when charging finishes) - cord that finished reduced to some minimal amount Y (for climate control/TMS) and other cord increases to X - Y
Either cord is disconnected - remaining connected cord's supply is increased to X amps
LTL

mikeEmike

Tue May 21, 2013 11:54 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:

I overgeneralized in that statement, my calculation came out to 201 amps with the 40A EVSE circuit, and I'm thinking for a lot of people with 200A service they too would be over the limit with a second 40A circuit. Not to mention I had to wafer up a couple other circuits to free up a slot, and now I'm maxed out on wafers with no more slots. I can get a 20-20 double pole wafer, but I don't think they make a 40-40 wafer.

Thanks for clarifying. The electrician I have used in the past isn't familiar with EVSEs, so if there was something specific, I wanted to be sure either he or I caught it.

Maybe you can use a subpanel for the EVSEs to get yourself some more space?

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Tue May 21, 2013 2:14 pm

One of the reasons I came up with the upgrade is to avoid these panel sizing issues. Many homes have 100A (or less) panels, and adding a 40A circuit for the Nissan-recommended AV EVSE puts most over limit. In more than one case, we had customers report estimates approaching $20,000 to upgrade the electrical system in old homes to be code compliant with the new EVSE installation. In many cases the homes in question already have an existing dryer outlet, which typically allows at least 24A of EVSE loading, so this avoids the need to modernize the entire system at great expense just to get level 2 charging.

As EV's get more common, this problem will only get worse. In theory, I could offer a "ganged" connection between 2 upgraded units to allow safe sharing of a single 30A (or less) circuit.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Tue May 21, 2013 9:45 pm

Ingineer wrote:In more than one case, we had customers report estimates approaching $20,000 to upgrade the electrical system in old homes to be code compliant with the new EVSE installation.

Ouch!!! My father had his circa 1940, 1500 sq ft home re-wired for half that price, to include a whole new drop, exterior main panel, interior sub panel, and dedicated circuit for central HVAC which the house lacked.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Tue May 21, 2013 11:19 pm

RonDawg wrote:Ouch!!! My father had his circa 1940, 1500 sq ft home re-wired for half that price, to include a whole new drop, exterior main panel, interior sub panel, and dedicated circuit for central HVAC which the house lacked
It can all get stupid fast in some of the old Victorians around here. Many still have knob-and-tube!

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

mikeEmike

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:31 am

I came across this thread on the RAV4EV forum. It looks like the older model Schneider EVSE (EV2430WS) can potentially have issues with overheating when maxed out...not an issue for LEAFs with the 3.3kW charger but it could be for those who have the 6.6.kW charger and the Schneider EV2430WS. Note that the EV2430WS was not covered by the recall that Schneider had on the later EVSEs, but Schneider still took care of this customer's problem.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&start=15

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”