nrvous
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:12 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2018

Using 2018 Leaf EVSE for Chevy Volt

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered before...

I wanted to make sure it'd be OK to use the EVSE that came with my 2018 Leaf (240V) on my Chevy Volt (J1772 @ 3.6kW/16amps) Pretty sure it should be OK but wanted to check. Can someone please tell me if this would work?

Thanks!

WetEV
Posts: 2993
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Using 2018 Leaf EVSE for Chevy Volt

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:14 pm

nrvous wrote:Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered before...

I wanted to make sure it'd be OK to use the EVSE that came with my 2018 Leaf (240V) on my Chevy Volt (J1772 @ 3.6kW/16amps) Pretty sure it should be OK but wanted to check. Can someone please tell me if this would work?

Thanks!
The EVSE advertises how much current it can supply.

The car doesn't take more than that, and doesn't take more than what the car can take.

Should work fine.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1493
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:14 pm
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357
Location: Anaheim

Re: Using 2018 Leaf EVSE for Chevy Volt

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:06 pm

WetEV wrote:
nrvous wrote:Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered before...

I wanted to make sure it'd be OK to use the EVSE that came with my 2018 Leaf (240V) on my Chevy Volt (J1772 @ 3.6kW/16amps) Pretty sure it should be OK but wanted to check. Can someone please tell me if this would work?

Thanks!
The EVSE advertises how much current it can supply.

The car doesn't take more than that, and doesn't take more than what the car can take.

Should work fine.
An L1 EVSE is 12A A L2 EVSE can be 30A. In any event the EVSE tells the car how much current is savable. The car takes only what it needs. A volt at 240V would take only 14A and it would ignore the rest.

The J1772 spec has two parts. First the EVSE tells what current is available via the pilot. Then if there is enough current the car takes what it needs. If there is lessor current than the car can take then it matches the current available.
:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e
White Ioniq limited.It sits just fine

nrvous
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:12 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2018

Re: Using 2018 Leaf EVSE for Chevy Volt

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:33 pm

Awesome! Thanks folks. I went ahead and connected my Leaf EVSE to my 2018 Volt and it is happily charging away on L2 (16amps/3.6kW).

Will be much nicer to precondition the car on L2 than the stock L1 charger for tomorrow morning Toasty warm and full battery :)

Thanks again everybody!

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1493
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:14 pm
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357
Location: Anaheim

Re: Using 2018 Leaf EVSE for Chevy Volt

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:05 pm

nrvous wrote:Awesome! Thanks folks. I went ahead and connected my Leaf EVSE to my 2018 Volt and it is happily charging away on L2 (16amps/3.6kW).

Will be much nicer to precondition the car on L2 than the stock L1 charger for tomorrow morning Toasty warm and full battery :)

Thanks again everybody!

by the way, a Volt does not charge at 16A @240V. I made an OpenEVSE for a VOLT owner with a current meter. The Owner was under the impression that it charged at 16A but it really charges at 14A. That is still much faster than using the supplied L1 EVSE.
:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e
White Ioniq limited.It sits just fine

nrvous
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:12 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2018

Re: Using 2018 Leaf EVSE for Chevy Volt

Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi Glenn,

That's really interesting and I never thought much about this before. The 2018 Gen2 Volt has an acceptance rate of 3.6kW, the earlier models were 3.3kW I believe.

Whenever I charge my car with my Juicebox, the amperage gauge has always displayed a steady reading anywhere between 15.9 to 16 amps, not 14amps. And the acceptance rate is not always 3.6kW as I would have expected. Here's a screenshot from the JuiceBox Control Dashboard:


Image

The amperage and voltage has some variance but P=IV and it does work out to 16A

Assuming 3.6kW which is the spec acceptance rate, it actually would be 15amps*240V=3600.

Are the JuiceBox gauges off (which would be really odd), or is the difference due to some sort of efficiency loss?

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1493
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:14 pm
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357
Location: Anaheim

Re: Using 2018 Leaf EVSE for Chevy Volt

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:10 pm

This was years ago so the car may have been first generation. In any event I confirmed the meter cal and He found a listing on a Volt forum saying 14A. That made him satisfied.
:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e
White Ioniq limited.It sits just fine

nrvous
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:12 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2018

Re: Using 2018 Leaf EVSE for Chevy Volt

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:28 pm

Got it...that one must have been the 3.3kW (14a*240v=3360W) Thanks Glenn!

Oilpan4
Gold Member
Posts: 722
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: Using 2018 Leaf EVSE for Chevy Volt

Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:07 am

All J1772 protocol evse units are supposed to work on all J1772 charge ports.
2011 white SL leaf with 2014 batt.
Chargers: Panasonic brick moded for 240v, duosida 16a 240v and a 10kw setec portable CHAdeMO
Location: 88103

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”