Using 2018 Leaf EVSE for Chevy Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrvous

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered before...

I wanted to make sure it'd be OK to use the EVSE that came with my 2018 Leaf (240V) on my Chevy Volt (J1772 @ 3.6kW/16amps) Pretty sure it should be OK but wanted to check. Can someone please tell me if this would work?

Thanks!

nrvous said:
Hi,

I wanted to make sure it'd be OK to use the EVSE that came with my 2018 Leaf (240V) on my Chevy Volt (J1772 @ 3.6kW/16amps) Pretty sure it should be OK but wanted to check. Can someone please tell me if this would work?

Thanks!

The EVSE advertises how much current it can supply.

The car doesn't take more than that, and doesn't take more than what the car can take.

Should work fine.

WetEV said:
nrvous said:
Hi,

Thanks!

The EVSE advertises how much current it can supply.

The car doesn't take more than that, and doesn't take more than what the car can take.

Should work fine.

An L1 EVSE is 12A A L2 EVSE can be 30A. In any event the EVSE tells the car how much current is savable. The car takes only what it needs. A volt at 240V would take only 14A and it would ignore the rest.

The J1772 spec has two parts. First the EVSE tells what current is available via the pilot. Then if there is enough current the car takes what it needs. If there is lessor current than the car can take then it matches the current available.

Awesome! Thanks folks. I went ahead and connected my Leaf EVSE to my 2018 Volt and it is happily charging away on L2 (16amps/3.6kW).

Will be much nicer to precondition the car on L2 than the stock L1 charger for tomorrow morning Toasty warm and full battery :)

Thanks again everybody!

nrvous said:
Awesome! Thanks folks. I went ahead and connected my Leaf EVSE to my 2018 Volt and it is happily charging away on L2 (16amps/3.6kW).

Will be much nicer to precondition the car on L2 than the stock L1 charger for tomorrow morning Toasty warm and full battery :)

Thanks again everybody!

by the way, a Volt does not charge at 16A @240V. I made an OpenEVSE for a VOLT owner with a current meter. The Owner was under the impression that it charged at 16A but it really charges at 14A. That is still much faster than using the supplied L1 EVSE.

Hi Glenn,

That's really interesting and I never thought much about this before. The 2018 Gen2 Volt has an acceptance rate of 3.6kW, the earlier models were 3.3kW I believe.

Whenever I charge my car with my Juicebox, the amperage gauge has always displayed a steady reading anywhere between 15.9 to 16 amps, not 14amps. And the acceptance rate is not always 3.6kW as I would have expected. Here's a screenshot from the JuiceBox Control Dashboard:

9wBnBR.jpg

The amperage and voltage has some variance but P=IV and it does work out to 16A

Assuming 3.6kW which is the spec acceptance rate, it actually would be 15amps*240V=3600.

Are the JuiceBox gauges off (which would be really odd), or is the difference due to some sort of efficiency loss?

This was years ago so the car may have been first generation. In any event I confirmed the meter cal and He found a listing on a Volt forum saying 14A. That made him satisfied.

Back