Inside EVSE, outside J1772, run through conduit?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brycenesbitt

Has anyone modified their EVSE, so the unit can stay inside, but the charging cable goes through a hole in the wall?
I'm seeking an EVSE where I can disconnect the charging cable long enough to run through a 1" conduit hole, then put everything
back.

JuiceBox support says it can'be be done easily with JuiceBox.

There are wall passthroughs with rubber grommets and covers that would do this job and be able to pass the whole plug.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JGC7WNK

71yBl1ofuxL._SL1500_.jpg

Other solutions I’ve seen over the years on this forum:

1. Making a small “doggie door” in the wall (even lockable with a doorknob) so you can reach in and get the J1772 handle without having to open up a garage door.

2. Making a small channel in the cement immediately below the garage door so you can close the door without pinching the cable.

I thought about putting in a small cat door or something but just setting the garage door on the cable works fine for me.
But I have the 12 amp charger and the cable is very thin. I don't think it would work with a 24 amp charger.

Only problem with cutting a divit in concrete is not everyone has a grinder, with concrete wheel laying around. I do because I do my own tile and concrete work.

Big holes like that are problems in stucco, because stucco is not actually waterproof.... the water shedding layer is the tar paper behind the stucco. Cutting such a hole, and making it not making a subtle leak, is hard. I live in a house with no "weep" at the bottom of the stucco.

Back to the original question: what does it take to just run the cord through a smaller hole?

My location is not a garage, the garage is elsewhere. My parking area comes up to an otherwise blank stucco wall. I also live in a high theft/high homeless area, where people steal... anything. Inside is more secure I hope.

Yep, that is why any holes I cut in stucco are minimum of 2 feet off the ground.
You definitely want any holes above the rain splash splash back level around your house.
Nothing worse than a window or dryer vent or conduit hole sitting just above ground level.

brycenesbitt said:
Back to the original question: what does it take to just run the cord through a smaller hole?
You might be best off building your own OpenEVSE. Then you could run the cord through before attaching it inside the EVSE.

I've been thinking about getting a product like this:

51-KU5U6WRL._SX679_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Garadry-Garage-Door-Threshold-Seal/dp/B01FMM55IC

It's a little over a half inch thick, so I think I could simply cut it transversely to make a channel/tunnel that's just big enough for the diameter of the EVSE cable.

Right now, I use a hacky sack right at the end of the garage door and run the cable right beside the hacky sack. Sounds ridiculous, but it actually works quite well :)

Back