What is the most cost effective level 3 public charging brand

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charging networks are like utilities...most of the time, you don’t have a choice of proviider. You use whatever’s available wherever you’re at, which is why it’s recommended you sign up for multiple networks that operate in the area where you plan on going with the car. (Yes I know in Texas and maybe a few other places you can choose your electricity provider, but that’s not the norm.)

While evGO has a set pricing scheme for a given region, other networks like ChargePoint do not, and the prices are set by the owner of the property where it’s located. You really need to look at PlugShare, find out what charging stations you’re likely to use, and look up the prices.

Is one place that charges 30 cents a kWh for 40 kW "cost effective" compared to a place that charges 20 cents a kWh for 20 kW ?

The only possible answer is ymmv

Location, reliability, cost in that order. My drives favor some ChargePoint locations that are close to the end of the drive when charging would be quicker. But reliability has me charging sooner and slower as non-working sites have put me on L2 for hours to make the next DCFC. That sorting puts me on EVgo most frequently here in Southern California, but I also use ChargePoint and Recargo. No useful EA sites for me yet, but many in the works. Belong to, and check apps for most providers and crosscheck with PlugShare on every trip.

SageBrush said:
Is one place that charges 30 cents a kWh for 40 kW "cost effective" compared to a place that charges 20 cents a kWh for 20 kW ?

I guess I was vague in my question, but you bring up an interesting point. I was looking for the best price but I got a lot more info that I can sort out ....thanks!

Rigatony said:
SageBrush said:

I guess I was vague in my question, but you bring up an interesting point. I was looking for the best price but I got a lot more info that I can sort out ....thanks!

No Rigatony... Your question was fine... The problem is that when you write something on this site, someone finds an exception to your statement and begins debating you about the "meaning" of your post... I clearly understood that you wanted to know the cheapest level 3...

Personally, At this state of electric cars, I do not believe in paying for charging. I will charge level 2, and will find level 3 chargers at Nissan dealers and other FREE charging with the chargepoint app... Good luck

I hoped charging locations would move to sort like of what gas stations have now. A big sign and what the cost per kWh is. It would only make since if they switched to that but I am sure some like a connect fee, idle fee, rate of charge fee or just a flat fee, and some you have to have an account or be a member all of which is weird when your really just purchasing the kWh's.

Do we have to pay a dollar fee to park in front of a gas station pump or pay for how long you are in front of that gas pump or for how fast the gasoline is dispensed?

I know I am just dreaming, but it would be a LOT less confusing for regular folks if it was obvious and you could just pay with you cc like a gas pump. Sure have a discount of you want to join or some deal again similar to gas stations , but.....

Getting back to the question though, I think it depends on what you have near where you are, I don't think you can say for example Chargepoint is always the cheapest, heck they vary rates and fees across town for us.

If OP is asking which network has the lowest cost per kWh, I think it is usually EVgo but things can get tricky because rates are usually per minute, some places have a fee just to start, and both the car and the charger can affect kW rates.

My impression is that EA is the most expensive for short sessions due to the initial fee.

evGO eliminated connection fees quite some time ago (was $4.95 per session) for even non-subscriber members. BUT you have to change your plan to the new "Pay as You Go" plan, it's not automatic.

https://www.evgo.com/charging-plans/

If you live in Oregon or Washington, Webasto (formerly Aerovironment) offers unlimited charging for $20/month. If you charge a lot, that can be the cheapest option.

BrockWI said:
I hoped charging locations would move to sort like of what gas stations have now. A big sign and what the cost per kWh is. It would only make since if they switched to that but I am sure some like a connect fee, idle fee, rate of charge fee or just a flat fee, and some you have to have an account or be a member all of which is weird when your really just purchasing the kWh's.

Do we have to pay a dollar fee to park in front of a gas station pump or pay for how long you are in front of that gas pump or for how fast the gasoline is dispensed?

I know I am just dreaming, but it would be a LOT less confusing for regular folks if it was obvious and you could just pay with you cc like a gas pump. Sure have a discount of you want to join or some deal again similar to gas stations , but.....

Getting back to the question though, I think it depends on what you have near where you are, I don't think you can say for example Chargepoint is always the cheapest, heck they vary rates and fees across town for us.

In some ways it would make sense to sell energy in energy units only (I wish my home electricity and natural gas services worked like that, I frequently end up paying more in delivery and service charges than for the energy I actually use), but there are some important differences between EV charging and buying gasoline. Even fast charging is much slower than filling a gas tank, and people tend to get bored and wander off while waiting. A flat per hour rate encourages them to return and drive away or switch to L2 when their charging rate starts to slow down, freeing the charger for others.

BrockWI said:

evGO and ChargePoint stations are like that. No there's no gigantic overhead sign, but on the screens they do advertise the cost. And both will take a credit card payment at the charging station; ChargePoint uses RFID that also works with Apple Pay and Android Pay (but you can call the 800 number if your card isn't PayWave) but evGO stations are set up for swipe/chip/RFID.

Titanium48 said:
A flat per hour rate encourages them to return and drive away or switch to L2 when their charging rate starts to slow down, freeing the charger for others.

Actually, what discourages people from "hogging" charging stations is to charge an increasing fee per minute once the car is done charging. Electrify America charges a 40 cent/minute "idle" fee, more than the charging cost of 30-35 cents/minute.

Back