pksd1
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 565
Location: San Diego (Rancho Penasquitos)

$6,700 estimate to install Blink EVSE by Sunwest Electric

Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:20 pm

My friend just got an estimate to install Blink charger at his home and its whopping $6740. Since I am not an electrician (neither is my friend) I was wondering if someone can answer some questions.

1. Has anyone else got a similar estimate ?
2. Does EVproject let you get a second opinion from another contactor ?
3. Does anyone know any qualified electricians in San Diego area that can perform at least part of the upgrade (i.e. upgrade the panel to 200A; majority of the cost)

I will post the cost breakdown as soon I figure out how. :)

Here it is:
Image
Last edited by pksd1 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1 Blue SL-ETEC
Delivered: Earth Day 2011 - April 22 -upgraded to LEAF#2 after two years
#2- 2013 Dark grey- SL - April 2013 - Leased

User avatar
Jimmydreams
Posts: 1500
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:44 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0175
Location: Oceanside, Ca.
Contact: Website

Re: $6,700 estimate to install Blink EVSE by Sunwest Electric

Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:29 pm

pksd1 wrote:My friend just got an estimate to install Blink charger at his home and its whopping $6740. Since I am not an electrician (neither is my friend) I was wondering if someone can answer some questions.

1. Has anyone else got a similar estimate ?
2. Does EVproject let you get a second opinion from another contactor ?
3. Does anyone know any qualified electricians in San Diego area that can perform at least part of the upgrade (i.e. upgrade the panel to 200A; majority of the cost)

I will post the cost breakdown as soon I figure out how. :)


Call Baker Electric. (760-745-2001) They did my install and were great. (for the record, I'm in the EVP, so I didn't pay anything. Baker certainly knows what they're doing, so I would expect costs to be reasonable.)

Tell them Jim Hamilton sent you. ;)
JimmyD
http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar
Blue SL Leaf delivered 1/7/2011
EVP participant. EVSE: Blink
6.75kW PV solar

pksd1
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 565
Location: San Diego (Rancho Penasquitos)

Re: $6,700 estimate to install Blink EVSE by Sunwest Electric

Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:32 pm

Jimmydreams wrote:
pksd1 wrote:My friend just got an estimate to install Blink charger at his home and its whopping $6740. Since I am not an electrician (neither is my friend) I was wondering if someone can answer some questions.

1. Has anyone else got a similar estimate ?
2. Does EVproject let you get a second opinion from another contactor ?
3. Does anyone know any qualified electricians in San Diego area that can perform at least part of the upgrade (i.e. upgrade the panel to 200A; majority of the cost)

I will post the cost breakdown as soon I figure out how. :)


Call Baker Electric. (760-745-2001) They did my install and were great. (for the record, I'm in the EVP, so I didn't pay anything. Baker certainly knows what they're doing, so I would expect costs to be reasonable.)

Tell them Jim Hamilton sent you. ;)


Will do Jim...I will pass this on to my friend right now. He is in shock right now, not sure if he wants to go ahead with LEAf purchase anymore, and its coming in 7 days :(
#1 Blue SL-ETEC
Delivered: Earth Day 2011 - April 22 -upgraded to LEAF#2 after two years
#2- 2013 Dark grey- SL - April 2013 - Leased

thankyouOB
Posts: 3583
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:14 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442
Location: Coastal LA

Re: $6,700 estimate to install Blink EVSE by Sunwest Electric

Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:42 pm

that bill makes some sense. But it doesnt jibe with my experience with Sunwest and Ecotality.
I would call Ecotality.
I had a non-standard install that came in about $300 over the $1200 in free charges, and it did not include most of those charges.
However, he does need a new panel, which indicates the existing service is substandard. that could explain the issue and all the extra hourly charges and the need to have a city inspection.
He prolly has 100 amp service and no room to add the car to the existing load. that was not the case at my house.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

ENIAC
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224
Location: Sun Diego, CA USA

Re: $6,700 estimate to install Blink EVSE by Sunwest Electric

Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:53 pm

Shouldn't there at least be a $1200 credit shown? Also a 200 amp panel is like $175 not $1100. I suggest you get quotes from several electricians to upgrade the service and then get a free EVSE install from the EV Project.
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

pksd1
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 565
Location: San Diego (Rancho Penasquitos)

Re: $6,700 estimate to install Blink EVSE by Sunwest Electric

Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:08 pm

Another thing I noticed, they are charging him almost $1000 to repair stucco. How can it take 12 hours to repair stucco? He is thinking, instead of getting ripped of at the pump, he is going to get ripped off by the electicians. This can't be good for EV sales. I wonder how many people in future will get a bitter taste from buying an EV.
#1 Blue SL-ETEC
Delivered: Earth Day 2011 - April 22 -upgraded to LEAF#2 after two years
#2- 2013 Dark grey- SL - April 2013 - Leased

User avatar
LEAFer
Posts: 2647
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000215
Location: Sacramento Area

Re: $6,700 estimate to install Blink EVSE by Sunwest Electric

Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:19 pm

I thought to be approved for EVP they already required 200A panel ? Or ... whatever the requirements were/are ... they should have forseen that in this case EVP makes no sense.
2011 Silver SL+QC [Mfg: 11/2010] 36mo/15k LEASE
06Jun2013 Status [28.5 months][34,173 miles][11 bars]
Lost CapacityBar 6/6/13 @34,173 miles while in LEAF Battery Monitor: 83.41%, 71.4F (avg); cool overnight;

thankyouOB
Posts: 3583
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:14 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442
Location: Coastal LA

Re: $6,700 estimate to install Blink EVSE by Sunwest Electric

Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:28 pm

LEAFer wrote:I thought to be approved for EVP they already required 200A panel ? Or ... whatever the requirements were/are ... they should have forseen that in this case EVP makes no sense.


The panel size is assessed by load in the house. If you dont have AC or electric stove and dryer, you can accommodate the Leaf with 100 amp service.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

cashu2
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:50 pm
Location: Santa Clarita, CA

Re: $6,700 estimate to install Blink EVSE by Sunwest Electric

Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:28 pm

No way! The best parts are "inspection wait time hours" @ $60 per hour for 4 hours, $240 to wait around? And my favorite, "travel time" @ $62.50 per hour for 12 hours for a total of $750! Is this electric company in a different state??

Glenn
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:32 pm
Delivery Date: 02 Jul 2011
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: $6,700 estimate to install Blink EVSE by Sunwest Electric

Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:44 pm

pksd1 wrote:My friend just got an estimate to install Blink charger at his home and its whopping $6740. Since I am not an electrician (neither is my friend) I was wondering if someone can answer some questions.

1. Has anyone else got a similar estimate ?
2. Does EVproject let you get a second opinion from another contactor ?
3. Does anyone know any qualified electricians in San Diego area that can perform at least part of the upgrade (i.e. upgrade the panel to 200A; majority of the cost)

WOW! Doesn't even include costs for the EVSE or the meter. Must have been a heck of a stucco repair. The costs for Travel and Wait Times seem outrageous to me, maybe that's why my business should be reclassified as a non-profit. :)

But at least they gave him that all important 19¢ discount!!

Glenn

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”