Mobile charging vehicle to rescue stranded EV's

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingineer

http://nation-e.com/index.php?dir=site&page=content&cs=3437

angel%20car%20charging.JPG

2-3 Kwh in 15 minutes? A good start, I suppose. But why not use a larger capacity source pack with a DC quick charge option?

Apparently does not use L2 EVSE AC J1772?

If it did, it could still only deliver about 3 miles of energy (less than 1kWh) in 15 minutes (1kWh in 20 minutes) to a 2011 LEAF (that has the "3.3 kW" charger).

I can deliver mobile L2 charging from my PHEV Prius indefinitely (as long as I have gas).

I can deliver up to about 6kWh without using any gas.

If I construct a CHAdeMO controller, I could DC fast charge at up to 20kW. (Still waiting for the CHAdeMO standard)

-Phil

Are you volunteering to be a mobile LEAF rescue service? Aren't you busy enough with your normal business and the EVSE upgrades? :lol:

Actually, part of the "charging" standard for ALL EVs (and PHEVs) should be (have been) a car-to-car charge/fuel share mode.

Then, any other "EV" passing by could easily help another out-of-efuel vehicle.

I guess that would have helped the EV Revolution too much, so it was not included, even as an option.

Without being exotic or trying to transfer efuel really quickly, an inverter with L1 (or L2) AC output would probably be sufficient for "rescue", using a standard "portable" EVSE.

Or, perhaps a special J1772R (Rescue) AC-Output mode for the "donor" vehicle, and a simple J1772-to-J1772 "jumper" cable?

Could have been an option or even an "accessory", to help avoid the "extra cost" arguments.

Imagine one "fallen" LEAF sliding to a stop, telling Carwings of the problem and location. Then, Carwings notifies any signed-up, willing "donor"-capable LEAFs in the vicinity, and within minutes two people get to meet.

We can either decide to help each other, and even PLAN to do it, or we can wait for the Government to come rescue us. Note how well that worked after Katrina!

Garygid said:
snip: "Imagine one "fallen" LEAF sliding to a stop, telling Carwings of the problem and location. Then, Carwings notifies any signed-up, willing "donor"-capable LEAFs in the vicinity, and within minutes two people get to meet.

We can either decide to help each other, and even PLAN to do it, or we can wait for the Government to come rescue us. Note how well that worked after Katrina!"

Or, you can fall in love, get married, have lots of rugrats, and live happily everafter! :lol:

GeekEV said:
2-3 Kwh in 15 minutes? A good start, I suppose. But why not use a larger capacity source pack with a DC quick charge option?

We have a mobile DC Charging prototype vehicle that delivers a full Level 3 charge in 20 minutes. Video available on our website.

http://www.realacpower.com

Full story available at www.realacpower.com/news.html

Back