hill
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659

Re: Aerovironment EVSE install information

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:45 pm

Wow! How long is that cable? It looks like it'd choke a hippo!

Layla
Delivery Date: 23 Jan 2012

Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:40 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
Ready2plugin wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
It's not semantics, it's the wrong definition completely. There is a reason we made an EVSE area and if one posted in that area they would have at least seen the description the EVSE forum area. People can be lazy but there are huge differences here, if you have been on this forum for some time you should know the difference, newbies may not and it's no big deal. We can surely say kwh and kw are the same? People come here to learn, once they learn some proper terminology it's plain lazy to keep saying it wrong and say "you know what I mean".

Nissan's Leaf website even has it listed as "Charger Installation" - they even did a video about it. If someone wants to call it a charger, then let them, as long as they know there is a difference. People still call copy machines, xerox machines....and I don't go around correcting them :P .

Nissan is wrong. Copy machine and Xerox are synonyms, the is a charger on the leaf and there is a: power cord or charge cord, the box outside the car is not a chargers, if it were there would be two chargers. GM also calls the Volt an EV.

Copy machine and Xerox are NOT synonyms! Nor are Kleenex and tissue; Jacuzzi and hot tub; or Band-Aid and adhesive bandage!

(And, I'm sorry, as I know the post I am quoting is from a million pages back.)

Clippy
Delivery Date: 07 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 0823

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:20 pm

Layla wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
It's not semantics, it's the wrong definition completely. There is a reason we made an EVSE area and if one posted in that area they would have at least seen the description the EVSE forum area. People can be lazy but there are huge differences here, if you have been on this forum for some time you should know the difference, newbies may not and it's no big deal. We can surely say kwh and kw are the same? People come here to learn, once they learn some proper terminology it's plain lazy to keep saying it wrong and say "you know what I mean".

Nissan is wrong. Copy machine and Xerox are synonyms, the is a charger on the leaf and there is a: power cord or charge cord, the box outside the car is not a chargers, if it were there would be two chargers. GM also calls the Volt an EV.

Copy machine and Xerox are NOT synonyms! Nor are Kleenex and tissue; Jacuzzi and hot tub; or Band-Aid and adhesive bandage!

(And, I'm sorry, as I know the post I am quoting is from a million pages back.)

But is a charger the same as a Charging Station?
100% Elektrisch, 100% BMW, 100% Fruchtbar

lpickup
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 312310

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:46 am

Clippy wrote:
But is a charger the same as a Charging Station?

It is when you're discussing your car with an EV neophyte who keeps asking what kind of mileage it gets. I'm not about to correct them on their use of the word "charger". If that's what they want to call it, fine!
...Lance

Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310)
Delivered: 12/23/16
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138)
Delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16
NOGA$4ME Blog

myrtlebeachbums
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5888

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:08 am

Okay, the quote came back from AeroVironment for the installation of an L2 charger, and it is so outrageous that it's hysterically funny.

So here's the "giant post-it note" of the EVSE that they put on the wall while reviewing my garage.

My breaker panel, which has plenty of space for the new breaker, is immediately to the left of this picture. There's probably one wall stud separating the breaker panel and where I want the L2 charger to go.

The quote?

Item Description Quantity Unit Price Line Total
Installation Permit and Processing 1 0 0
AV EVSE-RS Charging Dock, Wall Mount, 15' Cable 1 746.00 746.00
Shipping and Delivery 1 49.95 49.95

Okay, not too bad. How about labor?

Item Description Quantity Unit Price Line Total
Installation 1 1221.87 1221.87

$1,221.87 to run maybe two to three feet of wire and a grand total of an hour if the guy stops to have a beer with me before he's done.

Yeah, no. Thanks anyway. If work doesn't put in the L2 chargers so I can charge up at the office, I'll just be hitting EVSEUpgrade.com.

Oh I would also mention that while they put the Leaf "Post-It" on the wall, this was for a Mitsubishi I. I've since canceled my order for the I and bought a 2011 Demo Leaf. I found it amusing that they were using Leaf pics for a Mitsubishi install though. Even the quote had Nissan all over it. Mitsubishi would be so thrilled. ;)
Last edited by myrtlebeachbums on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

davewill

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:12 am

That's why nobody here recommends getting a quote. $2200 seems to be AV's minimum charge no matter how simple. Just buy an EVSE (or get yours upgraded) and have any electrician put in the 240v receptacle.

P.S. you need the URL to the actual JPEG file, not to a page that shows it. I right clicked the image on your link and chose "copy image location":

2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

myrtlebeachbums
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5888

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:22 am

Thanks! Edited my post accordingly, and yeah - that quote is insane!

hill
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:35 am

myrtlebeachbums wrote:. . . . . . . . . . snip . . . . . . . $1,221.87 to run maybe two to three feet of wire and a grand total of an hour if the guy stops to have a beer with me before he's done.

Yeah, no. Thanks anyway. If work doesn't put in the L2 chargers so I can charge up at the office, I'll just be hitting EVSEUpgrade.com. . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip
Mine, according to AV, was the 1st on Orange County ... October of 2010. They must have been counting on the fact that there was a 50% tax credit, and thus, priced accordingly. If it hadn't been for the fact that I only had to pay 1/2 - I wouldn't have been the 1st ... rather I'd have been the last ... person on earth that is.
:D

rumpole
Delivery Date: 19 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 15266

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:06 pm

I made a YouTube video of my Aerovironment EVSE install. It's at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R61LyUJEupM

I don't really have anything against AV's installation price, since it's meant to be a "concierge" type process. I just wish they would let people know that up front, to avoid sticker shock. It might sour some of the public on the Leaf, especially those who don't read MyNissanLeaf, and aren't "in the know" ;) Hopefully, they can learn about buying the EVSE cash-and-carry and getting it installed separately. I told my dealer how I had mine installed for about $1000, so hopefully, she'll let other potential customers know.
2012 Brilliant Silver SV followed by 2014 Gunmetal Grey SV and now 2016 Kia Soul EV
Bumper Sticker: This Is What The End Of Gasoline Looks Like -> Get it and others at http://www.zazzle.com/leptoquark

Alric
Delivery Date: 16 May 2012

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi everyone,

Wish I had read this thread before I was scammed out of the $100 estimate fee. This is my gouging in Stoughton, WI.

Shipping and Delivery 1 49.95

Charging Dock, Wall Mount 25' Cable 1 721.12

Installation Permit and Processing 1 120.00

Custom Installation 1 1,606

Total(before tax) $ 2,497.08

Sales Tax $ 119.49 Total US $ 2,616.57

This is very distasteful in what has been otherwise a great experience. I will attempt purchasing the charger separately and finding an independent electrician that can do the install.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”