OpenEVSE - Open Source Charging Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today the cable is the most expensive part, once they are more common the premium price should come way down. The rest of the EVSE can be built for under $100.

adric22 said:
So you could build your own EVSE? That sounds great but wouldn't the J1772 connector still be the most expensive part?

Yes the J1772 plug is an expensive piece.

http://www.tucsonev.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KJD said:
adric22 said:
So you could build your own EVSE? That sounds great but wouldn't the J1772 connector still be the most expensive part?

Yes the J1772 plug is an expensive piece.

http://www.tucsonev.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not necessarily. Apparently you can import them from China for about $50, or even less in quantity. Not sure about shipping or tariffs though, and there's no way to know if it would fit well except to buy one and see. http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/490352213/SAE_J1772_Plug_CE.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

johnr said:
Apparently you can import them from China for about $50, or even less in quantity. Not sure about shipping or tariffs though, and there's no way to know if it would fit well except to buy one and see.
The problem is that the quality varies enormously between vendors... I've been told about a J1772 plug that got stuck in a Leaf and required disassembly of both to remove it.

KevinSharpe said:
The problem is that the quality varies enormously between vendors... I've been told about a J1772 plug that got stuck in a Leaf and required disassembly of both to remove it.
Kevin, I'm wondering what happened to the vendor quotes you were getting for the J1772 connector. I would only recommend Dostar, if we could not get a more reputable vendor to supply us. Problem is that most of them are geared towards volume orders and corporate clients.

surfingslovak said:
Kevin, I'm wondering what happened to the vendor quotes you were getting for the J1772 connector.
Most of the vendors want very large volume commitments and that's proving difficult for us because in the UK the government has now committed to using "mennekes" connectors on our charging stations.

We have therfore manufactured a 32A mennekes-to-j1772 cable which is being tested by a number of Leaf drivers in the UK. Here's one being used yesterday;

http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthread.php/4688-Testing-Ecotricity-s-charging-points

We are making some minor changes to the cables based on the feedback we have received and will manufacture a new version early next year with a target retail price of £200 (~$320) initially. I fully expect this price to drop during the year.

I'm not sure that I can help you in the US because we are no longer planning to buy just J1772 connectors but rather complete cables...

surfingslovak said:
I would only recommend Dostar
They do make good products... only problem I have with them is the lack of a locking mechanism at the car (something we've had requests for).

I just sent an inquiry via alibaba for a Q1 price and shipping cost for evaluation of the DSS-EV32P, and asked if they can supply an 8m cable instead of their standard 5m cable.

Their Plug drawing does not show any locking mechanism.

Terrific job Chris...and THANK-YOU! My brother will thank-you, one co-worker will thank-you,...every little bit will help bring down the cost of the EVolution.

@GaryGrid:
Just got a quote from a Chinese Company via Alibaba for one J1772 32amp, 4 meter cable; For one unit "FOB," the price was 131 USD. Since their ad says $34 to $50, I think much of the price is in shipping. Thus the barrier is not the price of the item but the other associated costs. Feel free to speculate on what those are.

fotajoye said:
@GaryGrid:
Just got a quote from a Chinese Company via Alibaba for one J1772 32amp, 4 meter cable; For one unit "FOB," the price was 131 USD. Since their ad says $34 to $50, I think much of the price is in shipping. Thus the barrier is not the price of the item but the other associated costs. Feel free to speculate on what those are.

Freight On Board specifically means it does NOT include shipping.

Usually the term is used with where the product physically is, i.e.: FOB Yakima, Washington., which means that what you buy will be sitting in Yakima until you arrange and pay for shipping.

Below are the quotes I received from Dostar earlier this year. In my experience, these quotes are usually net of shipping. Unless you are ordering a larger batch, which could be anything between 10 to 30 pieces, they will want to send it via air. Dostar quoted me 4.5 kg worth of air freight via UPS at $113. Any customs charges would be on top of that.

I believe that the only economical way to get this done is to place a group order and use ground shipping. I provided Kevin Sharpe with several vendor leads, but based on his earlier comment, I imagine that it turned out to be even more expensive, if not plain impossible to get these plugs from a major vendor like Yazaki, REMA or ITT Cannon.

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

My quote was an attempt to have them ship one unit for testing, i.e., fit, finish and quality. It looks like the FOB (Freight On Board) quote is a definite no go.

Does anyone have a contact in China who would be willing to price out 10-20 units packed and shipped to the U.S.?

fotajoye said:
Does anyone have a contact in China who would be willing to price out 10-20 units packed and shipped to the U.S.?
Dostar will do that for you but it isn't cheap once you include shipping and customs... we are buying complete cables in 100+ quantities to minimise these factors...

Back