Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Re: Chademo vs SAE

Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:21 pm

Just because Tesla has opened up their patents doesn't mean that others can commercialize Tesla's IP for free....Notice that there was no talk of licensing arrangements?

scottf200
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:45 pm

NYLEAF wrote:
GRA wrote:I have seen no evidence at all that not knowing which standard to back was holding up QC installations.
NY State has said that they have not installed Quick Chargers at the Service Plazas on the NYS Thruway because of the uncertainty with charging standards. They are waiting to see which standard "wins".
Was that before dual chargers were available?

http://insideevs.com/abb-launches-sae-c ... ger-in-us/
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
Volt = 53+ mile BEV up to 100 MPH, then 40 MPG hybrid with a 9 gal gas tank
RIP Tesla Model X P90DL - Sig:603 | 2011 Volt to kid | 2016 for wife | 2012 other kid

TonyWilliams

Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:53 am

scottf200 wrote:
NYLEAF wrote:
GRA wrote:I have seen no evidence at all that not knowing which standard to back was holding up QC installations.
NY State has said that they have not installed Quick Chargers at the Service Plazas on the NYS Thruway because of the uncertainty with charging standards. They are waiting to see which standard "wins".

Does anybody have a price on one of these bad boys? I'm guessing at least double the price of a single CHAdeMO charger from Nissan ($15k).

hill
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659

Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:03 am

The contact person over the two dual format QC's in Orange county could tell you. He's bee pretty quick when ever someone has had an inquiry.

GRA

Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:07 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:
scottf200 wrote:
NYLEAF wrote:NY State has said that they have not installed Quick Chargers at the Service Plazas on the NYS Thruway because of the uncertainty with charging standards. They are waiting to see which standard "wins".

Does anybody have a price on one of these bad boys? I'm guessing at least double the price of a single CHAdeMO charger from Nissan ($15k).

I can't remember where I read it so can't provide a link, but the cost of a dual-standard charger was said to be about 5-10% higher than a single standard. For NYLEAF, has New York state shown any great interest in installing _any_ kind of public charging equipment, whether EVSEs or QCs, or have most of them been done by local governments and/or private concerns?
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

kieranmullen
Delivery Date: 16 Aug 2013
Leaf Number: 020781

Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:48 pm

I'm thinking about purchasing a place which is the entrance to wine country in the area.the building has more than enough power to support a couple of quick Chargers actually but if I were to try one I wonder what the return on investment would be. I could use it for myself I suppose to. does one invite another company has to set up a charger there? Why the need for all the fobs and cards why not a simple credit card reader? too many islands with their own cards and system. Does anyone have any leads on which company could do this?
2012 SL 5-29-14 6,000 Miles 6-16-15 24,562 (all bars)

GRA

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:11 pm

kieranmullen wrote:I'm thinking about purchasing a place which is the entrance to wine country in the area.the building has more than enough power to support a couple of quick Chargers actually but if I were to try one I wonder what the return on investment would be. I could use it for myself I suppose to. does one invite another company has to set up a charger there? Why the need for all the fobs and cards why not a simple credit card reader? too many islands with their own cards and system. Does anyone have any leads on which company could do this?

Tony Williams could tell you a lot, and I expect so could this company/guy:

http://sunspeedenterprises.com/the-paci ... e/ptreyes/

Also, there's a guy in the Modesto area who has his own, private CHAdeMO QC, which he's happy to let others use if you let him know you're coming. It's listed on Plugshare as 'Ray Main Sales', phone number is (209) 681-2772.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:01 pm

kieranmullen wrote:I'm thinking about purchasing a place which is the entrance to wine country in the area.the building has more than enough power to support a couple of quick Chargers actually but if I were to try one I wonder what the return on investment would be. I could use it for myself I suppose to. does one invite another company has to set up a charger there? Why the need for all the fobs and cards why not a simple credit card reader? too many islands with their own cards and system. Does anyone have any leads on which company could do this?

The average price to install a Nissan DC FC is $49K, according to Nissan.

If someone else is doing the billing, then you need to split revenue with them.

How much would you bill per minute or per charge? What would a rough estimate be of your overall revenue?

It's tough to see a positive cashflow if you're paying for everything (equipment, installation, energy bill, insurance, maintenance, billing fees)...

TonyWilliams

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:14 pm

GRA wrote:I can't remember where I read it so can't provide a link, but the cost of a dual-standard charger was said to be about 5-10% higher than a single standard.

Yes, I'm aware of the talking points, but things aren't looking so rosy for the future of either CHAdeMO or the CCS standard (after BMW and Nissan met with Tesla about Superchargers).

Again, I seriously doubt that the ABB dual plug charger is 15% more than the $15k Nissan one.

TonyWilliams

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:17 pm

kieranmullen wrote:I'm thinking about purchasing a place which is the entrance to wine country in the area.the building has more than enough power to support a couple of quick Chargers actually but if I were to try one I wonder what the return on investment would be. I could use it for myself I suppose to. does one invite another company has to set up a charger there?

First, tell me the budget for this project and I'll see what I can pencil out.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”