LEAF Manager, alternative carwings app for android

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The default Nissan app,, works great, so when I have an add free app that costs nothing (Well rather is included in the purchase of the car)

What can yours do that is special? (widgets are not special in my books, they waste power and increase the potential for errors)

XeonPony said:
The default Nissan app,, works great, so when I have an add free app that costs nothing (Well rather is included in the purchase of the car)

What can yours do that is special? (widgets are not special in my books, they waste power and increase the potential for errors)

I'm not the author of the app, but I can state its advantages to me:

First of all, I don't agree that the Nissan app works great. Well, it is better than it used to be, but it frequently would get "logged out" and you'd have to go through a login process. Really stupid IMO.

Second, the app can be programmed to do an automatic update when it detects loss of a given Bluetooth device, which normally you would set as your car's Bluetooth (you don't actually have to connect to the car's Bluetooth, it just monitors when it appears/disappears). The effect of this is that you can get an auto-update whenever you get out of the car so that the state of charge and climate setting is pretty much always accurate. With the default app you need to specifically refresh (well, you could set it to auto-update whenever you start the app, but if you are in and out of the app for whatever reason, it is creating unnecessary updates (which are really slow in case you hadn't noticed!) So you get updates precisely when you want them, and ONLY when you want them. AND, it happens quietly in the background without you ever having to manually initiate it.

This is important by the way, not just for accuracy of the state of charge display, but also if you use the app to turn on climate control. If you use the default app to turn on climate control, the climate control on button will be greyed out. So after you drive the vehicle and want to pre-heat/cool again, if you go into the app, you will need to do a refresh to un-grey out the Turn Climate On button. Which again, takes forever!

Finally, you may think that widgets are not that special and waste power and increase the potential for errors (I would disagree with this, or at the very most say that the amount of power wasted and potential for "errors" is extremely minimal. But what do you get for that? You get a SINGLE BUTTON access to the climate control and start charging buttons (and request update). No getting into the app, re-logging in, requesting a refresh, waiting for the refresh, then hitting Turn Climate On. Just hit a single button and be done with it. I would say that this feature alone has saved me hours over the past several years. WELL worth it in my opinion.

...Lance

So in my books there is no real advantages.

the current Nissan app is all I need.

I do not need constant updates and such. not hard to take the time to open and get the update.

Leaf Manager is great. Easier, better and faster than Nissan's app. Even though it takes ages compared to my Tesla app.
I don't pay any attention to the ads so they don't bother me.

Leaf Manager not working at this time. Keep getting pop-up saying due to changes at carwings app is not working, stay tuned for updates.

Leaf Manager not working at this time. Keep getting pop-up saying due to changes at carwings app is not working, stay tuned for updates.

Neither app lets me log in. The only way I can use carwings is to go through the Nissan owners portal. That works, so have given up on the other apps.

Yep, same here. Looks like nobody is going to do any upgrades until Nissan implements their cellular data and stabalize it.
Like so many things, I hope their improvements don't make things worse.

jkline said:
Neither app lets me log in. The only way I can use carwings is to go through the Nissan owners portal. That works, so have given up on the other apps.
Re: the NissanConnect app, provided you've updated to the latest version for iOS or Android, see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=457396#p457396 and the response afterward.

Both the iOS AND Android versions of NissanConnect have worked fine for me since April 2, 2016.

gyathaar,

I've got a strange problem with my LEAF Manager. I recently got a new LEAF (traded in my old one). I went through the process of removing the old vehicle and adding the new one to CARWINGS/NissanConnect. Everything seemed to work fine with the NissanConnect app and even LEAF Manager is working fine with the exception of the widget display. The SOC% and other information is displayed correctly, but all the bars are black. Within the app itself it looks normal. It's just the widget display that's an error.

I have tried removing/adding the widget and even uninstalling/re-installing the entire app, deleting app data, clearing cached data, etc. but I cannot get the colored bars to appear on the widget. Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks!

3obZ2zA6YPLhFaGd7

https://goo.gl/photos/3obZ2zA6YPLhFaGd7

lpickup said:
gyathaar,

I've got a strange problem with my LEAF Manager. I recently got a new LEAF (traded in my old one). I went through the process of removing the old vehicle and adding the new one to CARWINGS/NissanConnect. Everything seemed to work fine with the NissanConnect app and even LEAF Manager is working fine with the exception of the widget display. The SOC% and other information is displayed correctly, but all the bars are black. Within the app itself it looks normal. It's just the widget display that's an error.

I have tried removing/adding the widget and even uninstalling/re-installing the entire app, deleting app data, clearing cached data, etc. but I cannot get the colored bars to appear on the widget. Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks!

3obZ2zA6YPLhFaGd7

https://goo.gl/photos/3obZ2zA6YPLhFaGd7

The bugged bars in widget is for newer leafs (2016+ model)
They report 0-240 bars instead of 0-12

Unfortunately I will need to do a big recode of the app to fix this bug.. the percent number should work thou..

Leaf Manager quit working for me Feb 21 and hasn't worked since. I am getting a 401 Unknown Error which I have never seen before. NissanConnect EV app and website both work fine but Leaf Manager does not.

Anyone experiencing this same outage?

Have you updated the app? Nissan sunset some old URLs that the app was using, but the app was updated and it's working fine again for me.

VitaminJ said:
Leaf Manager quit working for me Feb 21 and hasn't worked since. I am getting a 401 Unknown Error which I have never seen before. NissanConnect EV app and website both work fine but Leaf Manager does not.

Anyone experiencing this same outage?

If you haven't updated first do that, then go to the settings screen and log in again. It should work after that.

Thanks for the tips, guys. It's working now. It was up to date but I had to uninstall, restart, and reinstall to get it working again.

Hi Everyone,

I just picked up a 2013 SL with a 2G radio. Short of paying to upgrade the hardware, is there any way to use Leaf Manager or any other remote control capability? Or is everything ultimately routing through Carwings, which recognizes that I have outdated hardware and won't initialize until I upgrade, which I'm hesitant to do. Has anyone paid to do this and found it worthwhile?

Thanks.

Snlj said:
Hi Everyone,

I just picked up a 2013 SL with a 2G radio. Short of paying to upgrade the hardware, is there any way to use Leaf Manager or any other remote control capability? Or is everything ultimately routing through Carwings, which recognizes that I have outdated hardware and won't initialize until I upgrade, which I'm hesitant to do. Has anyone paid to do this and found it worthwhile?

Thanks.

LEAF manager ultimately uses Carwings. Without the 3G radio your car simply cannot communicate to the outside world. The only (very limited) thing you can do is set timers to turn on HVAC, start/stop charging, etc.

I did end up paying for the 3G upgrade because I used several features multiple times per day. I used pre-heat/pre-cool when leaving work every day. I verified SOC at least once per day. And getting a text when charging stopped on my LEAF, as rare as that may have been, is still peace of mind for me.

However, one month after getting the upgrade there was an incredible rebate for a new LEAF ($10K) and I couldn't say no to that. So yeah, in my case it wasn't worth it :lol: (well, it did help me to negotiate another $250 in my trade-in).

For some actually practical advice though: I will say that people are pretty polarized whether they use the telematics or not. There are some that believe it is pretty critical and inherently necessary while owning an EV. Others never use it (and certainly those with S trim levels do not!) The standard Nissan app is very basic and a pain to use (hence one of the reasons LEAF manager exists). Even those that do take advantage of the telematics have a love/hate relationship with it. And it is slow. Commands and status requests take far longer than you think they should in 2017, but they don't take forever (usually between 30-60 seconds--another benefit of LEAF manager--with the widget buttons you can just hit a button and then go do something else).

I would say that if you live in a moderate climate and don't have a great need for pre-heat/cooling your car, and you don't foresee having to check your SOC much (the reason I did was because I was trying to be a good EV neighbor at work and unplugging when I had enough charge, not necessarily hours after the car was full), then you should probably hold off on getting the telematics upgrade. But if either of those things are not your case, then I would say that you should take advantage of the fact that you probably got a wonderful deal on the 2013 and an extra $100 is probably going to make your car complete.

Back