mark1313
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:09 am
Delivery Date: 20 May 2011
Leaf Number: 001024
Location: Phoenix Arizona.

Re: Any other 6 year owners out there?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:21 am

April of 2011 in Phx AZ ........58000 miles ....2nd battery has loss 4 bars .....Main battery and headlight replaced .....I bought the car based on a You Tube video by Nissan that said the Leaf would lose 10% of its battery capacity after 100,000 miles ....
LOL in how wrong they were ...

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 11958
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Any other 6 year owners out there?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:56 am

mark1313 wrote:April of 2011 in Phx AZ ........58000 miles ....2nd battery has loss 4 bars .....Main battery and headlight replaced .....I bought the car based on a You Tube video by Nissan that said the Leaf would lose 10% of its battery capacity after 100,000 miles ....
LOL in how wrong they were ...


Sucks you just missed a 2nd warranty replacement!
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles. 2016 S30 (build 10/2016); 22,003 miles. 363 GIDs, Ahr 82.34, Hx; 101.21% kwh 28.1 QCs 190, L2's 213
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna
Gold Member
Posts: 6969
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Any other 6 year owners out there?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:24 pm

mark1313 wrote:I bought the car based on a You Tube video by Nissan that said the Leaf would lose 10% of its battery capacity after 100,000 miles ....
LOL in how wrong they were ...

Do you have a pointer to that video? I've seen other Nissan videos with claims that turned out to be untrue but not those specific numbers (e.g. viewtopic.php?p=469608#p469608).

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 11958
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Any other 6 year owners out there?

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:01 am

cwerdna wrote:
mark1313 wrote:I bought the car based on a You Tube video by Nissan that said the Leaf would lose 10% of its battery capacity after 100,000 miles ....
LOL in how wrong they were ...

Do you have a pointer to that video? I've seen other Nissan videos with claims that turned out to be untrue but not those specific numbers (e.g. viewtopic.php?p=469608#p469608).


I only remember the "10% after 5 years, 20% after 8 years" or something along those lines. The reality is miles never were a good barometer since there is easy miles, stop and go miles and "drive like a nut" miles....
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles. 2016 S30 (build 10/2016); 22,003 miles. 363 GIDs, Ahr 82.34, Hx; 101.21% kwh 28.1 QCs 190, L2's 213
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sboschert
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 10:54 am
Delivery Date: 26 May 2016
Leaf Number: 002337

Re: Any other 6 year owners out there?

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:32 am

We're considering either selling or paying for a new battery pack in our 2011 blue Leaf, 26,000 miles, 10 bars left but we have to make a regular longish trip that the Leaf can't quite do any more. I saw one post from a San Diego owner saying he paid about $1200 for a new battery pack. Anyone have other examples of the cost? We're in San Francisco. We love our Leaf, so might go that route.

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9465
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: Any other 6 year owners out there?

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:31 am

I've got another little niggle with my car now - just the last week my passenger seat has developed a squeak. Probably the seat springs, since I can make it happen by wiggling my tush. All the more noticeable in an otherwise quiet car.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 70,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

User avatar
ttweed
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:31 am
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1317
Location: La Jolla, CA
Contact: Website

Re: Any other 6 year owners out there?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:31 am

Randy wrote:Took delivery of VIN #191 in January 2011. Still have it and drive it every day...Almost 50K miles...Have 8 bars of capacity (lost 4 bars)...

Useful range is about 35 miles on freeway, slightly more on city streets...

I've been very happy with the car, except for the battery...

May 16 Edit: Even though I'm way out of the battery capacity warranty, I called Nissan to see if they would offer assistance on a battery replacement. I had a battery test done at the local dealer, and Nissan offered me an 80% / 20% replacement deal, so I had my battery replaced recently for about $1,230...Happy camper....Guess-o-meter now reaches over 100 with full charge and some down-hill....I smile even though I know I can't go quite that far...And getting the regen function back is very nice as well...Thanks, Nissan....


Haven't been on the forum in awhile, but we passed 6 years in April and now have 71,095 miles on the car, using it daily and enjoying the renewed range since getting the same 80/20 deal on a new battery as Randy 10,000 miles ago. We would have bought a new Bolt by now if Nissan had not helped us out with the battery replacement cost. As it is, the car got a new lease on life for $1200, and it seems to be a better battery than the original as far as degradation goes so far. The guessometer shows 120 miles regularly on a full charge still. We can now wait several years to see what the new generation of EVs brings. We won't settle for less than 200 mile range, though, so I'm disappointed that the new Leaf coming for 2018 is only a 40KWH pack. What's up with that?

I'm on the list for a new Mission E at the local Porsche dealer (depending on what the final MSRP is). Can't wait to see that car on the road and be able to test drive it.

TT
Tom Tweed
La Jolla, CA
Plowshare Media
2011 SLe #1317 del. 4/1/11
1st bar lost at 31,953 miles
2nd bar lost at 38,685 miles
3rd bar lost at 50,711 miles
4th bar lost at 59,758 miles after 64 months
Battery replaced at 61,307 miles.

aphextron
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:04 am
Delivery Date: 03 Aug 2017

Re: Any other 6 year owners out there?

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:25 am

ttweed wrote:
Randy wrote:Took delivery of VIN #191 in January 2011. Still have it and drive it every day...Almost 50K miles...Have 8 bars of capacity (lost 4 bars)...

Useful range is about 35 miles on freeway, slightly more on city streets...

I've been very happy with the car, except for the battery...

May 16 Edit: Even though I'm way out of the battery capacity warranty, I called Nissan to see if they would offer assistance on a battery replacement. I had a battery test done at the local dealer, and Nissan offered me an 80% / 20% replacement deal, so I had my battery replaced recently for about $1,230...Happy camper....Guess-o-meter now reaches over 100 with full charge and some down-hill....I smile even though I know I can't go quite that far...And getting the regen function back is very nice as well...Thanks, Nissan....


Haven't been on the forum in awhile, but we passed 6 years in April and now have 71,095 miles on the car, using it daily and enjoying the renewed range since getting the same 80/20 deal on a new battery as Randy 10,000 miles ago. We would have bought a new Bolt by now if Nissan had not helped us out with the battery replacement cost. As it is, the car got a new lease on life for $1200, and it seems to be a better battery than the original as far as degradation goes so far. The guessometer shows 120 miles regularly on a full charge still. We can now wait several years to see what the new generation of EVs brings. We won't settle for less than 200 mile range, though, so I'm disappointed that the new Leaf coming for 2018 is only a 40KWH pack. What's up with that?

I'm on the list for a new Mission E at the local Porsche dealer (depending on what the final MSRP is). Can't wait to see that car on the road and be able to test drive it.

TT


Would you mind sharing your experience with Nissan getting them to agree to the 80/20 deal? My 2011 is showing 8 bars just barely out of warranty.

opencar
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:31 am
Delivery Date: 01 Jun 2011
Location: San Diego Coastal

Re: Any other 6 year owners out there?

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:33 pm

glad to see some of us early adopters able to stick with it. 6 yrs, 2 mo in San Diego. Lizard appears to be outperforming the original battery & no significant out of pocket expenses so far on any repairs. fingers crossed. Looking forward to the M3!
1st bar- 22K, 27mo, Ah=55.29
2nd- 33K, 37mo, Ah=51.54
3rd- 41K, 46mo, Ah=47.47
4th- 49K, 53mo, Ah=43.28
Warranty Lizard- 50K, Oct'15
Jun'16- 56K, Ah=66.14
Aug'17- 70K, 22mo, Ah=59.9

Armand
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 7:25 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Aug 2011
Location: SF Bay Area (San Mateo)

Re: Any other 6 year owners out there?

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:04 pm

It's been a while since I posted. I took delivery in August 2011. I knew when I bought this car that I would be the first and the last owner! For the first three years my wife drove it 60 miles daily down to San Jose and back, taking advantage of the diamond lane on 101. The car sat under scorching sun down in San Jose during working days. The wife changed job, moved on to a BMW 4 series and the leaf has continued to serve the family. My daughter drives it around town now. It may have terrible resale but I am not thinking about selling it. It will serve us for a long time to come. It would be great to get a new battery. Glad to see some folks are getting assistance. Will try the Nissan # to see if I can take advantage of it too.

Battery loss history:
1st bar at 33k miles in November 2013
2nd bar at 47k miles in December 2014
3rd bar at 54k miles in May 2016

Back in January, I was around 45.5 AHr. Expecting it to drop the 4th bar any time now.
______________________________
2011 Leaf SL - etec, delivery 8/26/2011
Lost first CB at 33,204 miles, 26 months on 10/27/2013
Lost second CB at 46,750 miles, 36 months on 12/6/2014

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”