Other Nissan Models w/Bio-Suede Interior?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaxdmax

I am sorely tempted by 17,500 off the price of a new car and the most appealing model LEAF to me is the SV. I'm willing to pay for the nav and power systems but want to make sure that I'll be happy with the fabric. There aren't any SVs anywhere near me so I'd like to find some other model that has the same faux suede. I'll be really disappointed to get a car only to wish I'd spent just a little more for leather. (though given my budget situation every thousand bucks isn't really just a little)

Anyone know about the materials in the Sentra or other cars? The website doesn't make it easy.

Thanks

My 2016 SV bio-suede seems to be holding up quite well. Cleaning involves vacuuming and a quick wipe down with a damp microfiber cloth. Light scrubbing with a mild detergent will lift out any skin oils that can accumulate on the door handles and head rests. The fabric seems similar to Alcantara I've had in another vehicle.

Downside: Bio-suede can build a static charge as you exit the car, but holding onto the door frame helps.

A suggestion: go look at some used LEAFs to see how the bio-suede has held up over time vs. the leather. I thought leather showed more wear over time on the cars I looked at.

Bio-Suede is available in a light gray color which will be cooler in the summer and give the cabin a light, airy feel. Dark bio-suede gives the interior a tidy look and hides dirt. Leather is only available in black.

There are other items on the SL such as automatic LED headlights, HomeLink auto-dimming mirror, fog lights, heated rear seat, and the 12V solar panel on the spoiler. One could add aftermarket versions of some those to the SV, and the solar panel on the spoiler doesn't really do anything but add another thing degrade in the sun.

My experience: I liked the recycled plastic (cloth) material in the 2011. It was light colored, but still easy to clean. I would have purchased a 2015 SL with the lighter colored cloth if it had been available, but I had to settle for black leather. There are many features missing on the SV that I was unwilling to give up. The dealers make it seem like it is just a choice between cloth and leather, but the main difference is all of the other SL features that are not available on the SV even as optional extras. If you have been looking at SLs, make sure you understand what features you are giving up before ordering an SV. I am not sure about 2017, but the SV had halogen headlights in 2015. In 2011, I soon learned that the bright white LED light reflects off animals and objects in the road much better than the yellowish glow of halogen headlights to give more reaction time.

I'm in Charlotte and according to the Nissan inventory search page there are only 7 SLs and 11 SVs within 250 miles and none within 100 so all I've seen is a single S. There are precious few used available thought I'll have to look harder - I hadn't searched outside metro-Charlotte.

My original notion was to get a cheap car that I'd be satisfied with for local driving. We haven't driven anything other than a top of the line with leather seats anything since 2002 but I have 2 kids headed to college next year...

When you buy a car you're really buying the depreciation over the lifespan, or ownership-span, as the case may be. I'll have to do a little 3 and 5 year research to see residual values for the various trim lines.

Ex: If a 33,000 S w/charge is worth 12,000 in 3 years then the real cost is 21,000. But if you get 17,500 off then you're buying 3 years of automobile for $3,500. Pretty sweet.

If a 37,800 fully loaded SL is worth 13,000 in 3 years (rough!) then the real cost is $24,800. If you get 17,500 off then you're buying 3 years of automobile for 7,300. Still pretty sweet but 3,800 less sweet. (106/month over 3 years)

If the real numbers are materially equal to my fictional numbers then I think I'm about to talk myself into the SV.

More crunching...

Back