2015 Leaf S with 12-bars - Range/GOM 71miles on 100% charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckyleaf

Hi,

I am looking to buy a 2015 Model S with 12k miles and 12-bars on dashboard. The only concern is that the range (GOM) only shows 71miles on 100% charge !!! I am aware that range/GOM depends on earlier ride but I have never seen so low even on my 2013 model which used to show 81miles with 11 bars and 101miles when it had 12-bars.

I am planning to check with LeafSpy, but is this a concern? Is it worth checking with Nissan Service center on the state of the battery?

----------- from my earlier post --------
My 2013 Nissan Leaf got totaled recently. I am looking into buying a used 2015 Leaf S from a local auto dealor (not a Nissan dealor). This was a lease return and sold at an auto auction recently.

Total Price (including TTL) : $11K
Model : 2015 Leaf S
Mileage : 12K miles
Battery : 12-bars
Factory warranty : 3-months remaining
Leased in Texas earlier.

CarFax report looks clean. Should I get the battery inspected at the dealorship or 12-bars a good indicator?

My initial preference was to do another lease but there are no 2017 models and 2018 models seem to be 1-2 months away. 2018 model lease pricing is not yet out and I don't expect to be cheap at least in Q1'2018.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
-----------
Thanks

The 'leased in Texas' might be cause for concern. BMS resets aren't generally done on 11 bar cars, but with it being a late model, it's possible that it lost a bar and someone reset it.

I wouldn't worry about what the GOM shows, it's pretty much useless for estimating battery health...

An extended drive test is really the only way to know for sure what the range is. Given that you had a 2013, you've got a good feel for how weather conditions impact "real world" range, so you should get a good sense of the battery health just by taking it for a long drive.

I would personally want the Leaf Spy stats too, to correlate those with the range test. It could very easily be close to dropping a capacity bar, but you won't know that for sure unless you have the Leaf Spy SOH, AHr, and Hx stats.

Should have mentioned that when you test drive it, checkout what tires are on there and that they have a decent amount of air pressure as that can impact range enough to make an otherwise healthy Leaf feel like a loser.

Back