IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Re: I have a Leaf, so now what?

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:30 am

So I may have just had a setback (or setforward??). The Golf's transmission died. I'm not sure if forking over $2,000 for repairing a +500,000 mile car is such a good idea. As of now I'm getting my 1972 Super Beetle running. But I do plan on keeping my eyes open for something a little more modern, unless the charging infrastructure finally decides to catch up first, in which case I'll just keep my Leaf. I don't have much for a down payment, so if I find a car that I just can't pass up either I'll sell or trade in the Leaf or sell the Bug or both or just wait until I've saved enough.
2013 SL 50,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:36 pm

I hope you have a propane heater for the Beetle!
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium and no QC, a 2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, and 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

tattoogunman
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2016

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:01 pm

IssacZachary wrote:So I may have just had a setback (or setforward??). The Golf's transmission died. I'm not sure if forking over $2,000 for repairing a +500,000 mile car is such a good idea. As of now I'm getting my 1972 Super Beetle running. But I do plan on keeping my eyes open for something a little more modern, unless the charging infrastructure finally decides to catch up first, in which case I'll just keep my Leaf. I don't have much for a down payment, so if I find a car that I just can't pass up either I'll sell or trade in the Leaf or sell the Bug or both or just wait until I've saved enough.

I had a yellow Super :) You'll have to click the link, cannot get the pic to upload

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MkaSgEWeEnSzMn9dlReonboztgHrvHcW

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:06 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:I hope you have a propane heater for the Beetle!

No I don't. But I do have
  1. Stock OEM heat exchangers on the exhaust that are covered in heat exchanging fins unlike all cheap aftermarket junk.
  2. I put the engine thermostat back, which I've been told is one of the main reasons people froze in these cars. The thermostat limits air to the engine and directs more air to the heat exchangers and the cabin. It was popular to take the thermostat off your brand new VW back in the day and then complain about heat.
  3. This particular Bug has a nice, hardly used (if ever used) stock auxiliary heater that I am also installing.
2013 SL 50,000 miles.
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

LeftieBiker

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:26 pm

How does the auxiliary heater work?
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium and no QC, a 2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, and 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:27 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:How does the auxiliary heater work?

It has two air circuits with a motor that turns a blower fan in both. In one circuit it draws in outside air, sprays gasoline into it which is ignited by means of a glow plug, then blows the hot exhaust gasses past a heat exchanger, then back out of the car. The other circuit draws air from inside the cabin, blows it through the heat exchanger and then back into the cabin.

The neat thing is that it is independent of the engine, so I can preheat the cabin using less fuel and producing less emissions without idling and wearing out the engine.

Although mine's an antique, Eberspacher still makes these.

https://www.eberspacher.com/products/fuel-operated-heaters/air-heating.html

I had once contemplated on installing a similar unit on my Leaf that uses propane. After all, using fuel for heating can be well over 90% efficient. Much better than using fuel for propulsion.
2013 SL 50,000 miles.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:30 pm

IssacZachary wrote:Although mine's an antique, Eberspacher still makes these.

They're the same company that makes the crappy heater that went into the 2011 and 2012 Leaf + (gen 2) Toyota Rav4 EV. Their heaters look like the top unit at https://www.eberspacher.com/products/el ... aters.html.

Not sure about whether the PTC heaters in 2013+ Leafs still come from them.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:45 pm

cwerdna wrote:
IssacZachary wrote:Although mine's an antique, Eberspacher still makes these.

They're the same company that makes the crappy heater that went into the 2011 and 2012 Leaf + (gen 2) Toyota Rav4 EV. Their heaters look like the top unit at https://www.eberspacher.com/products/el ... aters.html.

Not sure about whether the PTC heaters in 2013+ Leafs still come from them.

Was it the heater to blame or Nissan's lack of insulation? Technically any electric resistance heater is 100% efficient. But if that heat is used to heat the motor compartment instead of the cabin. Then again maybe the unit itself sheds a lot of heat in the motor compartment and not just the metal tubing.
2013 SL 50,000 miles.

LeftieBiker

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:25 pm

Yes, I now seem to remember something about a 'gasoline heater' for the Beetle. I was a Volvo guy, so never learned any more about it. Aside from a '62 P220 wagon that I loved otherwise but didn't heat well despite a 'windowshade' radiator shroud, all of my Volvos had good heaters.

Technically any electric resistance heater is 100% efficient.

Yeah, that old saw bugs me no end. All electric heaters are "100% efficient" only because any lost energy is in the form of heat, which gets added back in. Heaters actually vary wildly in how effective they are in heating a given space, under varying conditions...

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:15 am

IssacZachary wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:I hope you have a propane heater for the Beetle!

No I don't. But I do have
  1. Stock OEM heat exchangers on the exhaust that are covered in heat exchanging fins unlike all cheap aftermarket junk.
  2. I put the engine thermostat back, which I've been told is one of the main reasons people froze in these cars. The thermostat limits air to the engine and directs more air to the heat exchangers and the cabin. It was popular to take the thermostat off your brand new VW back in the day and then complain about heat.
  3. This particular Bug has a nice, hardly used (if ever used) stock auxiliary heater that I am also installing.

Back when I had my Beetles the reason I froze was the salt used on the roads had turned the heat-exchanger shouds into swiss cheese by the time the cars were cheap enough for me to afford them :P . After some work with aluminum pie pans my heating system was brought back up to where you could actually de-ice the windshield after a spirited half-hour drive.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”