Recent experience with new Leaf - wow! :)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nubo said:
kennethbokor said:
I'm just sticking up for the new Leaf since I am seeing more negative news than positive coming mostly from people who have no idea about EVs and the Leaf.

I find your condescension unbecoming especially when it's in service of promoting your video channel.

Plenty of people here with lots of EV and LEAF experience. And anything that suggests further weakness in the battery is a reasonable concern to those who have LEAF experience. If a 2018 with significantly more capacity can be beat by several hours in a days' drive by an older LEAF, it raises questions for someone even if they never plan on multiple QCs in a day or never QC at all. It raises the possibility that the new battery might be even more heat-susceptible than previous ones. There may be other explanations but given the car's history the worry should not be discounted.

I'm perfectly willing to wait and see, and there is plenty about the LEAF that I do like. I've leased two and purchased the 2nd. But that doesn't make me want to bury my head in the sand; the car has had some drawbacks. So what "you're seeing" may make more sense if you open your eyes and look through some of the most active threads on the forum over the last 7 years to understand the opinions of people who do have an idea about EVs and LEAF, instead of barging in with a shiny video channel and a dismissive attitude.

The concern is absolutely valid. Nissan has a bad track record with regard to battery degradation and other defects.

The problem I, and I’m sure a lot of others, have is the toxicity. Insulting Leaf owners/lessees on a forum called My Nissan Leaf is pretty weird. I’ve been called an idiot, a sucker, poor, and a lot of other names simply for arguing that the 2018 Leaf has positive aspects and that the new batteries are likely last longer due to different chemistry (as opposed to the “Lizard” pack, which was apparently just a different electrolytic solution).

There’s absolutely room for negative comments. Not everyone will have a positive experience. But in my very short time on the forum, it seems like Tesla fans and (understandably) salty pre-2018 Leaf owners are trying to drag everyone down.

jonathanfields4ever said:
Nubo said:
kennethbokor said:
I'm just sticking up for the new Leaf since I am seeing more negative news than positive coming mostly from people who have no idea about EVs and the Leaf.

I find your condescension unbecoming especially when it's in service of promoting your video channel.

Plenty of people here with lots of EV and LEAF experience. And anything that suggests further weakness in the battery is a reasonable concern to those who have LEAF experience. If a 2018 with significantly more capacity can be beat by several hours in a days' drive by an older LEAF, it raises questions for someone even if they never plan on multiple QCs in a day or never QC at all. It raises the possibility that the new battery might be even more heat-susceptible than previous ones. There may be other explanations but given the car's history the worry should not be discounted.

I'm perfectly willing to wait and see, and there is plenty about the LEAF that I do like. I've leased two and purchased the 2nd. But that doesn't make me want to bury my head in the sand; the car has had some drawbacks. So what "you're seeing" may make more sense if you open your eyes and look through some of the most active threads on the forum over the last 7 years to understand the opinions of people who do have an idea about EVs and LEAF, instead of barging in with a shiny video channel and a dismissive attitude.

The concern is absolutely valid. Nissan has a bad track record with regard to battery degradation and other defects.

The problem I, and I’m sure a lot of others, have is the toxicity. Insulting Leaf owners/lessees on a forum called My Nissan Leaf is pretty weird. I’ve been called an idiot, a sucker, poor, and a lot of other names simply for arguing that the 2018 Leaf has positive aspects and that the new batteries are likely last longer due to different chemistry (as opposed to the “Lizard” pack, which was apparently just a different electrolytic solution).

There’s absolutely room for negative comments. Not everyone will have a positive experience. But in my very short time on the forum, it seems like Tesla fans and (understandably) salty pre-2018 Leaf owners are trying to drag everyone down.

Amen, Brother. What is striking is that most of the haters were never actually harmed by Nissan or the LEAF. It would be very easy for me to hate the LEAF as I suffered battery degradation and ultimately had my battery replaced under warranty. But, overall, it has been a good experience with low acquisition, maintenance and running costs not to mention the time I have saved. Couple that with the new battery and it's like having a new car. As for the new car, time will tell.

Another point I will add is that most other LEAF owners I have met in the real world (not hiding behind some font on the Internet) have been overall very positive about their LEAF experiences.

It is very heartening to see that there are others here that feel the same as I do.

jonathanfields4ever said:
Nubo said:
kennethbokor said:

We are trying to drag Nissan up. You are reaping some rewards of some hard fought customer battles and we continue to try to help them to improve their product.

Evoforce said:
We are trying to drag Nissan up. You are reaping some rewards of some hard fought customer battles and we continue to try to help them to improve their product.

Destroying Nissan to save it, eh?

WetEV said:
Evoforce said:

I own three of their vehicles. I think they have dinged their own battery reputation and thus their electric vehicles are quick to depreciate. I would like to hope that soon I could put good batteries in my otherwise fantastic cars and maybe get a spike in value too. The Nissan Dealer Service Center told me not to buy one and that they were disposable cars. I felt insulted and... I had already bought one. Sure all cars are disposable... eventually. Of course, they meant, once the warranty expired.

Evoforce said:
WetEV said:
Evoforce said:

I own three of their vehicles. I think they have dinged their own battery reputation and thus their electric vehicles are quick to depreciate. I would like to hope that soon I could put good batteries in my otherwise fantastic cars and maybe get a spike in value too. The Nissan Dealer Service Center told me not to buy one and that they were disposable cars. I felt insulted and... I had already bought one. Sure all cars are disposable... eventually. Of course, they meant, once the warranty expired.

Amusing.

As Nissan's battery life is mediocre at best in hot places, and you live in a hot place, you need to tell everyone how bad Nissan is, even though your cars are "otherwise fantastic".

My experience with the Leaf is all fantastic. Yet that is the best case, not the worst case. I live in a cool place, I have the best battery Nissan has made to date, and so on.

A balanced view would point out both the disadvantage of Nissan's battery life in hot places, and the advantages of Nissan's battery: No TMS energy drain while parked for long periods of time*, no fires after accidents, lower cost and higher reliability.

I'm not sure why the "rain on Nissan's parade" is in full force, other than Nissan isn't T esla.

*Unless cold enough that the battery heater is active.

WetEV said:
Evoforce said:

With friends like..., well you get the picture. I live in one of the worst climates in terms of heat and am very satisfied with my LEAF experience. Sure, my first battery degraded, but Nissan took care of the problem. Tesla has had plenty of issues, but so far they have managed to keep the early adopters happy. Nissan doesn't seem to be afforded the same courtesy. It's far too early to judge whether or not Nissan got it right on the 2018 LEAF.

Back