Possible Widespread 2018-19 Traction Battery Quick Charge Problems

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
It's more likely that it's the same ATM that the e-NV2000 has always had. That is some fans inside the pack.

I agree. I don't see how they could refit the existing 40kwh pack for a liquid TMS that would do anything but cool the outer surface.

E-NV200 has a refrigerant based evaporator with fans. It's good enough for daily fast charging.
60kWh Leaf could actually use that with hardly any modifications to the vehicle body.

arnis said:
E-NV200 has a refrigerant based evaporator with fans. It's good enough for daily fast charging.
60kWh Leaf could actually use that with hardly any modifications to the vehicle body.

What is interesting, is that in my discussions with Nissan Corporate Executives, they didn't want to do that with their batteries because of condensation concerns within the battery pack.

Evoforce said:
arnis said:

What is interesting, is that in my discussions with Nissan Corporate Executives, they didn't want to do that with their batteries because of condensation concerns within the battery pack.
They can take a Tesla apart and learn how it is done.

SageBrush said:
Evoforce said:
arnis said:

Probably already have!

Evoforce said:
SageBrush said:
Evoforce said:

Probably already have!
One should hope so, and that was my point: Nissan provided a BS excuse.

Evoforce said:
arnis said:

Tesla's solution is pretty complex and weight is significant.
Condensation shouldn't be a problem, battery is almost airtight.
Mitsubishi iMiEV actually blew AC air through the pack. Same air we get into the cabin.
And it worked fine.
There might be condensation on the exterior surface of battery case, but that
doesn't matter at all.

If I had to design a system, I'd have heat exchanger block (refrigerant to glycol) near the compressor and then
transport chilled glycol into convector(radiator) with small fan inside the pack with lightweight plastic
airduct to the rear. Leaf MUST have a fan inside the pack to stabilise temperature between cell modules better.
It works even without AC activated. And this system supports heat scavenging form the drivetrain.

Fan should be 120x120x38. Convertor 120x120x30...50 mm. This block will cost less than 100€ per vehicle.
Heat exchanger and control another 100€. Some piping...
And that one will be good enough for endless travelling. It should handle half of AC system capability.
Definitely enough for 70-80kW charging rate and works well in case of overheating chemistry.

I like how you all continue to come up with expensive solutions to a problem that Nissan doesn't seem to feel they have.

They do not care about fast charging in the 2018 LEAF. If you do, this isn't the car for you.

Joe6pack said:
I like how you all continue to come up with expensive solutions to a problem that Nissan doesn't seem to feel they have.

They do not care about fast charging in the 2018 LEAF. If you do, this isn't the car for you.

I can tell you they know this is a huge issue but it's marketing's job to play it down. Have you ever talked to any of their engineers from Japan? I have spoken to several of them personally including the lead for the entire project. Do you really think Nissan thinks this is not a huge issue? Perhaps not in 2011 but they are not stupid or in denial. When they have TMS expect them to make that very clear with new marketing and PR.

I can tell you they know this is a huge issue but it's marketing's job to play it down. Have you ever talked to any of their engineers from Japan? I have spoken to several of them personally including the lead for the entire project. Do you really think Nissan thinks this is not a huge issue? Perhaps not in 2011 but they are not stupid or in denial. When they have TMS expect them to make that very clear with new marketing and PR.

I just got off the phone with 877-664-2738 and I can tell you that at least they do not care AT ALL that the charge rates suck. They argue that it is normal and that Nissan does not promise any specific charge rate. I asked them why 2016 leaf pulls more power that 2018, and they could care less. Just like they did not care about 2011 leaf battery degradation until lawsuit was filed.

EVDRIVER said:
Joe6pack said:

They already have TMS ... on the e-NV200!! https://electrek.co/2018/04/24/nissan-e-nv200-electric-van-new-40-kwh-battery-pack/

"Interestingly, the battery pack is not exactly the same as the Leaf because Nissan actually includes an active thermal management system in the e-NV200."

As you've said, it's marketing's job to downplay the severity of the problem, but they most definitely are concerned about it.

Joe6pack said:
Your reasoning is circular. You may as well say "Nissan fitted the '18 LEAF with a crap battery so they must LOVE crap batteries."

tcherniaev said:

I just got off the phone with 877-664-2738 and I can tell you that at least they do not care AT ALL that the charge rates suck. They argue that it is normal and that Nissan does not promise any specific charge rate. I asked them why 2016 leaf pulls more power that 2018, and they could care less. Just like they did not care about 2011 leaf battery degradation until lawsuit was filed.

There, you proved my point.

SageBrush said:
Joe6pack said:
Your reasoning is circular. You may as well say "Nissan fitted the '18 LEAF with a crap battery so they must LOVE crap batteries."

This thread isn't about the battery. It's about quick charging. Nissan designed it to do exactly what they wanted it to do. Sorry it bothers so, but they will sell a crap ton of these things and no one will care about quick charging speed. To the average LEAF buyer, 22 kW on the second level 3 charge of the day will mean very little.

tcherniaev said:

That's the Nissan North America customer support line. They're supposed to help you with issues like how to plug your car in, and how to pay your monthly lease payments.

When I asked them to put in a feature request to "bring back the 80% charge limit" on the 2016 leaf that was on my 2013 leaf, they told me that there was NOTHING they could do about it. If they could implement a smoother braking experience in firmware and put out a TSA for it (http://learnbyblogging.com/jerky-brakes-on-my-nissan-leaf-how-i-got-it-fixed-upgrade-the-app/), they could've brought back the 80% charge limit with little effort. The purpose of that customer support line is to tell you how to use the car within its limitations, nothing else. Not even to provide feedback back to corporate. It's not a reflection of the rest of Nissan.

OTOH, I put in a request that did supposedly get to Nissan Corporate. I asked about special ordering an SL with cloth seats. The response was that the SL was their 'top of the line car' and that if I wanted cloth seats I should order a loaded SV. This after I noted that Around View now comes only with the SL. They really don't care what customers think, or want, as long as we buy the cars.

LeftieBiker said:
OTOH, I put in a request that did supposedly get to Nissan Corporate. I asked about special ordering an SL with cloth seats. The response was that the SL was their 'top of the line car' and that if I wanted cloth seats I should order a loaded SV. This after I noted that Around View now comes only with the SL. They really don't care what customers think, or want, as long as we buy the cars.

Mass production means a limited set of choices. Need to satisfy enough customers, not every customer. Do they care what you think? Not if you are not in the target group. Want to drive 500 miles days with 4 QC sessions? You are not in the target group of customers.

Back