Please post your latest June 2018 30kWh battery software upgrade feedback here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coupedncal

Like most of the 30kWh owners, i too received a message on the console to take the vehicle in for a software update for the Li-Io Battery Controller (LBC). Was wondering who has gone through the upgrade and what was the result post this software upgrade? Are you seeing any difference in miles to empty or battery bars in your normal driving? And those who had lost a bar or more on their battery meter, did this update revert their bars back to full 12 bars?

New forum member here, from Sweden. I've got a Leaf manufactured in May 2016.

I got the software upgrade this week, June 20th. I have noticed a change in the relationship between the range meter and the battery percentage meter. For example when down at 45 kms remaining range, battey meter might show around 20% now vs closer to 10% before. It also seems I get more distance per percent used. For example a trip that used 80-85% of the capacity now uses 75-80%

I am still new to EV's and the Leaf. I bought it 10 weeks ago and have driven around 6000 miles so far, and I have mainly used the percentage display as my "fuel gauge". I learned early that the GOM is way to optimistic so I haven't paid much attention to it. I have a feeling it may be more accurate now with the new software but I have done too few trips to be sure.

Don't know if my info is confusing to read but please ask me and I will try to explain better and tell you more about my observations so far.

Copy and pasted my reply from a similar thread below.

So, had the Software update this morning. Not much to report yet. We are about 55 KM to the dealer. Arrived at the dealer with about 72 percent left after charging to 100 overnight. They did the update and then put it on the charger as I went off to the mall to kill time. Typically a full battery reads 184 to 188 KM for us. GOM is actually very acurate for our type of driving. Most speed limits here are 90 KMH and the route has some 50 and 70 KMH stretches as well as a short stretch of maybe 10 km at 100 KMH. Hilly windy route but starts and finishes at same altitude. I always drive at the speed limit and on cruise. Temp set on auto at 24 degrees.

After the update GOM read 196 KM at 99 percent. Arrive home with 75 percent and a combined GOM and trip odometer of 202 km. This is probably a little better than normal but not much. Maybe 6 or 8 KM better. So what did I notice. Well, the biggest change was that 4 bubbles of regen were available at 95 percent as opposed to 90 percent. Other than that pretty much the same.

We have a 450 km trip coming up in a few weeks that will involve a couple fast charges. I'll report in then on any changes.

New forum member from the UK.

I have owned a 30kWh Tekna new from the end of December 2015; it was one of the earliest ones off the line in Sunderland. It has done 38700 miles.

Not having looked at any owners forum for months, I became aware that my summertime battery capacity appeared to have fallen since my driving pattern is fairly consistent and this time of year brings ranges of 120 miles and occasionally above. Not this year; indicated ranges at 100% charge hovered around 100 miles no matter how carefully I drove and how low I kept my speeds. So when I checked the forums and saw the stuff about rapidly deteriorating batteries I decided to see my dealer, just 5 miles away. Just before I did, I saw the news of the BMS software upgrade that had been issued in the USA.

It was a total surprise to my dealer, who went to check on his computer and discovered that Nissan UK had issued a similar modification notice within the previous day. I booked in for the software change, since checks on rapid chargers that showed the exact number of kWh being delivered gave figures of around 21.5 kWh for a battery showing an indicated 10% charge at the beginning of charging, a massive capacity reduction. The software upgrade was done on 21st June 2018.

After the software change, I recharged to 100% on a home charger (approximately 7 kW) and got an indicated range of 105 miles at 100%; not good. I have driven the car around since and its indicated range appears to be rising slightly pro rata to the indicated percentage energy left, so I have hopes for the software change.

I bought Leaf Spy Pro just after the software upgrade and am looking at the results now. At 43.9% SOC (the car reports 44%), Leaf Spy reports 11.5kWh, 148 GIDs and a SOH of 95.24%. The battery cells page is showing min/avg/max figures of 3.742/3.748/3.754 respectively. Hx is shown as 83.33%.

If anyone would care to interpret the above, please do so. It appears to me that the car is showing its battery is in an excellent state of health but the range and capacity are way below what they should be but perhaps I am interpreting my experience and the above data incorrectly.

webeleafowners said:
Copy and pasted my reply from a similar thread below.

So, had the Software update this morning. Not much to report yet. We are about 55 KM to the dealer. Arrived at the dealer with about 72 percent left after charging to 100 overnight. They did the update and then put it on the charger as I went off to the mall to kill time. Typically a full battery reads 184 to 188 KM for us. GOM is actually very acurate for our type of driving. Most speed limits here are 90 KMH and the route has some 50 and 70 KMH stretches as well as a short stretch of maybe 10 km at 100 KMH. Hilly windy route but starts and finishes at same altitude. I always drive at the speed limit and on cruise. Temp set on auto at 24 degrees.

After the update GOM read 196 KM at 99 percent. Arrive home with 75 percent and a combined GOM and trip odometer of 202 km. This is probably a little better than normal but not much. Maybe 6 or 8 KM better. So what did I notice. Well, the biggest change was that 4 bubbles of regen were available at 95 percent as opposed to 90 percent. Other than that pretty much the same.

We have a 450 km trip coming up in a few weeks that will involve a couple fast charges. I'll report in then on any changes.
Including pack temp and DCFC charging rate slope if possible

Charged it to 100 percent this morning. Road trip today. Figured I would post the output graph of the Juicebox as I noticed a couple things.

It started to taper at exactly 95 percent. Maybe a little earlier than normal? Not sure.

The sawtooth thing towards the end of the taper is not something I have seen on any previous charge session...ever.

Total range slightly higher than normal. Normally we are mid to high 180's vice this 197. When it was new it was mid 190's for our driving patterns. Road trip of about 160 KM today but no fast charge planned. Real range for us is always pretty much the same as the GOM. We have lower speed limits in this valley. Mostly 80 to 100 KMhr.

I have no idea if any of this is useful to anyone but I contribute what I can.

42265256324_2d8bf261cc_c.jpg

42082497885_f5d43b70c4_c.jpg

2017 SV Version reporting here!

While I dont have Leaf spy, it does report higher GOM compared to before. Normally it says about 110 for range and now it is saying about 135.

I drive 80 miles a day and I do notice my battery level reporting 1 or 2 more bars left compared to before. I havnt tested pushing the limit of the new software but it feels that my car was affected by the bug.

John (webeleafowners),

The sawtooth pattern during charge tapering looks a lot like my 2015 has always done. I never saw it with my 2011--it charged at its full 3.3 kW rate until almost full and then tapered over the last few minutes.

When I got the ODBII connector and Leaf Spy, it was December, and it had 2500km on the odometer. SOH in LeafSpy was 86%.
It was the same in April at 5500km. Full charge was 24.3kwh. I did a recalibration (drain to turtle, then charge to 100%) and this bumped SOH to 88%.

After the software update, SOH is now showing at 95%, and 26.4kwh at full charge. I just did a 125km trip yesterday, (100%-28%, driving at 85-100kph into a headwind) and the amount of kwh in LeafSpy seems to match the km/kwh on the dash.

Just had the software update today.
When from 9 bars back up to 12

Before:
AHr=54.14
SOH=68%
Hx=66.95%

After:
AHr=68.12
SOH=85%
Hx=66.70

Got mine done today.

Current Odo: 8,292

Pre-Reprogram
Battery health bars: 9/12
AHr: 52.91
SOH: 66.57%
Hx: 65.77%

Post-Reprogram
Battery health bars: 12/12
AHr: 68.27
SOH: 85.90%
Hx: 65.75%

August 7 updated at 51,731 km manufactured Nov. 2015

Pre update:
Ahr 73.8
SOH 92.58
Hx 85.89

Post update:
AHr 76.67
SOH 96.47
Hx 85.88

I am wondering why there is so few posts from people who have had their software updated. Has anyone been tracking the results over several months since they had the update?

Haven't had my software update yet. I am waiting for the standard service next month. It appears that the results posted here are somewhat mixed. Not all seem to be seeing a significant improvement. I am really disappointed that I am seeing about 90% SOH with Leaf Spy Pro at less than 10,000 miles and less than 1 1/2 years since I purchased the leaf.

I think there hasn't been a lot of response since in most cases the change is minimal. If you're around 90% SOH now I'd guess you will be in the mid-90's SOH after the update. So what? I doubt you'll notice any increase in performance or range but now the car will report a more accurate SOH. That should help predict future performance/degradation which is about the only real benefit of the update as far as I can tell.

The other factor is resale value - it would be hard to sell a used LEAF without the software update due to the apparent premature battery degradation.

Here are my results after three months (service done 6/21/18, car purchased 8/7/17):

Ahr SOH Hx
Before: 73.27 92.19 86.09
After: 76.98 96.86 86.81
+3 weeks: 77.22 97.16 87.39
+3 months: 76.82 96.65 86.41

I have not charged to 100% recently so this may affect results somewhat. I consistently see more range on the GOM but I have no tests to show objective data.

Overall I don’t see much change in Ahr, SOH and Hx since the update. ODO now 4,500 miles.

joeriv said:
Here are my results after three months (service done 6/21/18, car purchased 8/7/17):

Ahr SOH Hx
Before: 73.27 92.19 86.09
After: 76.98 96.86 86.81
+3 weeks: 77.22 97.16 87.39
+3 months: 76.82 96.65 86.41

I have not charged to 100% recently so this may affect results somewhat. I consistently see more range on the GOM but I have no tests to show objective data.

Overall I don’t see much change in Ahr, SOH and Hx since the update. ODO now 4,500 miles.

Thanks for you response. I purchase mine on 4/24/17, and have just under 10,000 miles. I am guessing the the degradation of my battery is similar or worse than your's. Right now with no update it is hovering around 89 to 90% SOH. It varies quite a bit depending how I charge and drive. I live in St. Louis, MO where we have fairly hot summers often in the mid 90s.

Back