cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: I have a Leaf, so now what?

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:39 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:A 2001 Camry is a poor choice, while an identical-looking 2003 Camry is a good choice.

FWIW, they are not identical looking.

2001 was a different generation and looks totally different inside and out from a 2003. The switch over happened w/MY 2002 (https://www.carsdirect.com/toyota/camry). I was considering a new Camry back in late 01 and thus the 02 Camry was on my list.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:09 am

cwerdna wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:A 2001 Camry is a poor choice, while an identical-looking 2003 Camry is a good choice.

FWIW, they are not identical looking.

2001 was a different generation and looks totally different inside and out from a 2003. The switch over happened w/MY 2002 (https://www.carsdirect.com/toyota/camry). I was considering a new Camry back in late 01 and thus the 02 Camry was on my list.

Yeah, my memory glitched on that. 2002 was indeed the first year for that redesign, and the first year only did worse in crash testing and had lower reliability, IIRC. We almost bought one used, not expecting Toyota to have the same first year production quality issues as, say, GM. I assume that they changed something in the body shell to improve the crash rating, but it wasn't apparent what that was.

Our '95 Camry LE, BTW, was very reliable and economical for years, suffering only from the lousy degrading anti-sway bar bushings that rattled until you spent $300+ to have them replaced. Then, as it got older, the gas vapor recover system failed several times, and IIRC the gas tank actually developed a leak and had to be replaced. It was a great car - until it wasn't. When I sold it for $1200 it still ran great, but I had to warn the buyer not to fully fill the gas tank, or it would stink of raw gasoline...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:11 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:If Toyota-Scion is still using that 1.5L oil-burner, then even a new Toyota-Scion four would be a good choice for leasing only.

I have a '04 Scion Xb with a 1.5L engine, over 100k and haven't ever had to add oil between 5k oil changes :)
Oh I agree, the rear hatch handle is a POS, mine broke several years back and have tried gluing it multiple times, only to have it re-brake :(
I finally just made a handle attached to the 2 upper license plate screws and haven't had any issues since :)
What years of the 1.5L are supposed to be bad?
FWIW I've had far more problems with my Nissan than either of our Toyotas('07 Prius and the '04 Xb) :)
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:19 pm

The Scion 1.5L four had the oil burning problem through 2006, and I believe it lasted as long as they made XB, but I can't give you a year. They must have finally gotten tired of ignoring the design issue while replacing motors, and redesigned it.

Check Ebay for rear door handles reinforced with metal inserts. That's what I got my GF for her XB, and while they aren't super high quality they are far better than the OEM handles. (Now I'm trying to figure out why her panic alarm keeps going off randomly.)
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Well, I got the Bug sold. So now I'm down to my 1985 VW Golf and $12,000 cash for a Prius. I'm now leaning more towards a used Prius C. I don't want a car that costs more than what makes financial sense, and the Prime looks like it may be out of my personal range. But I also don't want a car so old and used that I might as well as be sticking my finger in the socket again.

By going by what financial experts recommend I shouldn't spend much more than one third of my yearly income on a car. So 1/3 of around $30,000 is about $10,000. I also want a car that doesn't have any more than 75,000 miles or 5 years on it, but also gets stellar fuel mileage. So that pretty much narrows it down to a used Prius C. That will also let me keep out of debt so I can have money for other important things.
2013 SL SOLD :cry:
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid CURRENT

2k1Toaster
Delivery Date: 12 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 420903

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:37 pm

IssacZachary wrote:Well, I got the Bug sold. So now I'm down to my 1985 VW Golf and $12,000 cash for a Prius. I'm now leaning more towards a used Prius C. I don't want a car that costs more than what makes financial sense, and the Prime looks like it may be out of my personal range. But I also don't want a car so old and used that I might as well as be sticking my finger in the socket again.

By going by what financial experts recommend I shouldn't spend much more than one third of my yearly income on a car. So 1/3 of around $30,000 is about $10,000. I also want a car that doesn't have any more than 75,000 miles or 5 years on it, but also gets stellar fuel mileage. So that pretty much narrows it down to a used Prius C. That will also let me keep out of debt so I can have money for other important things.

We have a C as well. It is basically the Gen-2 Prius shrunk down in Gen-3 years with a different smaller battery. It is VERY small though considering how gigantic the Prius is.
2013 Nissan Leaf SV with every option
2013 Prius C Package 4
2012 Lexus RX450h
2006 Prius Gen II, pIV
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
2001 Honda Civic EX
1997 Honda Prelude SH
1981 DeLorean DMC12
and more...

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:18 pm

2k1Toaster wrote:We have a C as well. It is basically the Gen-2 Prius shrunk down in Gen-3 years with a different smaller battery. It is VERY small though considering how gigantic the Prius is.

I haven't quite ruled out the regular Prius since that would be my wife's and my preference. But I have a hard time finding a used Prius for as low as a used Prius C. And I don't want a 150,000 mile car for $10,000 that I have no idea how it's been treated and maintained. I've been down that road too many times to want to try that again. And if a 3 to 5 year old Prius costs some $15,000 to $20,000, I might as well as get a new Prime with the federal and state tax credits of $4,500 and $5,000 respectively.

I guess I could still try to shoot for a Prime or similar. But I don't think that would make the most financial sense. I guess I could make the excuse that I need a better car for driving as much as 30,000 miles per year so need the better car. But still, I would have to go accross the whole country to find a cheaper Prime. Even the "hail damaged sale" Primes in Colorado are all more than $30,000. That means I'd have $12,000 down payment, then take out a $23,000 loan to get the car and pay about $4,000 to $5,000 in taxes and fees, get $9,500 some time next year so I can pay less than half the loan off, and still have some $14,000 to pay off just to get the car of my dreams. For some reason the numbers just don't seem to crunch unless I could go to Virginia or Washington to get a Prime. And that would save me some $3,000 to $4,000 is all.

2k1Toaster
Delivery Date: 12 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 420903

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:35 pm

IssacZachary wrote:
2k1Toaster wrote:We have a C as well. It is basically the Gen-2 Prius shrunk down in Gen-3 years with a different smaller battery. It is VERY small though considering how gigantic the Prius is.

I haven't quite ruled out the regular Prius since that would be my wife's and my preference. But I have a hard time finding a used Prius for as low as a used Prius C. And I don't want a 150,000 mile car for $10,000 that I have no idea how it's been treated and maintained. I've been down that road too many times to want to try that again. And if a 3 to 5 year old Prius costs some $15,000 to $20,000, I might as well as get a new Prime with the federal and state tax credits of $4,500 and $5,000 respectively.

I guess I could still try to shoot for a Prime or similar. But I don't think that would make the most financial sense. I guess I could make the excuse that I need a better car for driving as much as 30,000 miles per year so need the better car. But still, I would have to go accross the whole country to find a cheaper Prime. Even the "hail damaged sale" Primes in Colorado are all more than $30,000. That means I'd have $12,000 down payment, then take out a $23,000 loan to get the car and pay about $4,000 to $5,000 in taxes and fees, get $9,500 some time next year so I can pay less than half the loan off, and still have some $14,000 to pay off just to get the car of my dreams. For some reason the numbers just don't seem to crunch unless I could go to Virginia or Washington to get a Prime. And that would save me some $3,000 to $4,000 is all.

It's one of those things that you hate now, but you'll love later. A Prius keeps its value unlike a Leaf. For the first 4-5 years I owned my Prius it was absolutely worth more than I paid for it even with the additional miles. As of today a hundred thousand miles later, she's worth half of what I paid easily, and I could get 75% of what I paid if I waited patiently on Craigslist.

Why not go find one? That's what I did again. Bought it on eBay, flew to EWR, exchanged the money, insured it, and drove it cross country back to Colorado in 27 hours. Done. Did a similar thing with the DeLorean, bought in Michigan site unseen, flew up, exchanged money, drove it back. Nothing like 27 hours solid in a vehicle to learn all about it.
2013 Nissan Leaf SV with every option
2013 Prius C Package 4
2012 Lexus RX450h
2006 Prius Gen II, pIV
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
2001 Honda Civic EX
1997 Honda Prelude SH
1981 DeLorean DMC12
and more...

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:02 pm

2k1Toaster wrote:It's one of those things that you hate now, but you'll love later. A Prius keeps its value unlike a Leaf. For the first 4-5 years I owned my Prius it was absolutely worth more than I paid for it even with the additional miles. As of today a hundred thousand miles later, she's worth half of what I paid easily, and I could get 75% of what I paid if I waited patiently on Craigslist.

Why not go find one? That's what I did again. Bought it on eBay, flew to EWR, exchanged the money, insured it, and drove it cross country back to Colorado in 27 hours. Done. Did a similar thing with the DeLorean, bought in Michigan site unseen, flew up, exchanged money, drove it back. Nothing like 27 hours solid in a vehicle to learn all about it.

Yes, patience is a virtue, and I think you are right that I just need to keep looking.

For me it probably won't be so much about the value in money as reliability and longevity. I plan on driving some 30,000 miles per year or more. In 6 or 7 years I may put some 200,000 miles on the car. By that time it might not be worth all that much. But if it's a good car that will last that many miles and more and not be a car we wished we hadn't bought, that's the important part.

GRA

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:58 pm

IssacZachary wrote:Yes, patience is a virtue, and I think you are right that I just need to keep looking.

For me it probably won't be so much about the value in money as reliability and longevity. I plan on driving some 30,000 miles per year or more. In 6 or 7 years I may put some 200,000 miles on the car. By that time it might not be worth all that much. But if it's a good car that will last that many miles and more and not be a car we wished we hadn't bought, that's the important part.

Have you ruled out an Ioniq PHEV then? Remember, it's base MSRP is $24,950 compared to $27,100 for a Prime, so there's $2k right there with zero miles on it and the same subsidies, not to mention 5y/60k basic, 10y/100k powertrain and lifetime HEV battery warranties. If you're going to keep it that long and put that many miles on it, it just seems like you should try to go new with a warranty. Always assuming you like the car, of course. Checking CR's take on the Prius C, its test score was 66 versus 77 for a regular Gen 4 Prius (73 for the Prime and 66 for the Ioniq HEV, not the PHEV), as well as being smaller. A regular-size Prius is a lot more versatile than the C and gets better mileage, and the same would apply to the Ioniq. Given the federal and state credits/rebates there's absolutely no reason for you to consider the Ioniq HEV, and you couldn't find a used one in your price range anyway. If interested, you might want to have a look at http://myioniq.com/forum/
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”