Valdemar
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: 2011 Leaf total loss with new battery replaced in 7/2016

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:16 am

mwalsh wrote:
vgonzalez wrote:
Valdemar wrote:$5.5k if you keep the car or if they take it?
5.5K if they keep the car but not sure how much will the insurance want for me to keep the car, my question is what is a good price to pay the insurance for the car?


Like I said in my post, I paid $400 for a six year old Ford Focus. Your LEAF is now at least 6.5 years old.

How about you ask the insurance company what the salvage value is?


I paid $4,500 for my '11 Leaf 2 years ago, perhaps a bit less - don't remember how the math worked out, but it was $12k to surrender or $7.5k to keep, there were taxes mixed in the formula.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
53.92AHr, SOH 84.5%, 140k miles

9kW Solar

vgonzalez
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:23 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2011
Location: Concord, CA

Re: 2011 Leaf total loss with new battery replaced in 7/2016

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Valdemar wrote:
mwalsh wrote:
vgonzalez wrote: 5.5K if they keep the car but not sure how much will the insurance want for me to keep the car, my question is what is a good price to pay the insurance for the car?


Like I said in my post, I paid $400 for a six year old Ford Focus. Your LEAF is now at least 6.5 years old.

How about you ask the insurance company what the salvage value is?


I paid $4,500 for my '11 Leaf 2 years ago, perhaps a bit less - don't remember how the math worked out, but it was $12k to surrender or $7.5k to keep, there were taxes mixed in the formula.


Here are the final numbers after talking and negotiating with the insurance, the total loss settlement value is $6,602 - $500 deductible = 6102 minus - $1064 to buy the car back - $500 alignment repair - $3000 body shop repair = $1500 to spend on a vacation. I guess I am keeping the car. Thank you for all for the provided information.

Valdemar
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: 2011 Leaf total loss with new battery replaced in 7/2016

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 pm

2011 doors are aluminum, double check with the shop if they took that into account. You will lose a good part of that $1500 when you try to sell a salvage title, unless of course you plan to keep the car until the wheels come off.

In your position I'd be very tempted to save the repair and salvage title DMV registration headaches, take the money and use it to lease a Honda Clarity EV if Leaf range covers your needs, as 3 years down the road the salvage-titled Leaf will be worthless with much degraded pack, not counting additional repairs you might run into on the way there. Current deal on the Clarity is $200/mo for 36 months, $1,500 at signing, 20k miles/year, and you get the CVRP rebate back, the deal runs till the end of this month - good timing.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
53.92AHr, SOH 84.5%, 140k miles

9kW Solar

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 4949
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: 2011 Leaf total loss with new battery replaced in 7/2016

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:23 am

If you don't insist on cosmetic perfection and allow the body shop to source used parts, sometimes body work can get cheaper. A lot of places are used to meeting insurance requirements to make the car like it had never been wrecked, and a budget minded place can often do better. Of course at $3K, you may have already done that.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9518
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: 2011 Leaf total loss with new battery replaced in 7/2016

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:54 am

Valdemar wrote:In your position I'd be very tempted to save the repair and salvage title DMV registration headaches,


I don't remember the salvage title being a big deal at all. I did need an inspection by a DMV registered repair shop, but there was one right by work and all the DMV was interested in were brakes and lights (headlamp alignment seemed to be a big deal). I also think my insurer wanted to take a quick look too, but that was just a formality.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 76,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

Valdemar
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: 2011 Leaf total loss with new battery replaced in 7/2016

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:07 am

mwalsh wrote:
Valdemar wrote:In your position I'd be very tempted to save the repair and salvage title DMV registration headaches,


I don't remember the salvage title being a big deal at all. I did need an inspection by a DMV registered repair shop, but there was one right by work and all the DMV was interested in were brakes and lights (headlamp alignment seemed to be a big deal). I also think my insurer wanted to take a quick look too, but that was just a formality.


No big deal, just 4 hours of my time and $100 or so wasted.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
53.92AHr, SOH 84.5%, 140k miles

9kW Solar

vgonzalez
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:23 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2011
Location: Concord, CA

Re: 2011 Leaf total loss with new battery replaced in 7/2016

Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:30 pm

Valdemar wrote:
mwalsh wrote:
Valdemar wrote:In your position I'd be very tempted to save the repair and salvage title DMV registration headaches,


I don't remember the salvage title being a big deal at all. I did need an inspection by a DMV registered repair shop, but there was one right by work and all the DMV was interested in were brakes and lights (headlamp alignment seemed to be a big deal). I also think my insurer wanted to take a quick look too, but that was just a formality.


No big deal, just 4 hours of my time and $100 or so wasted.


Thank you for the heads up on the DMV, the insurance has acknowledge that yes the car will continue under my insurance policy.

Valdemar
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: 2011 Leaf total loss with new battery replaced in 7/2016

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:32 pm

vgonzalez wrote:
Valdemar wrote:
mwalsh wrote:
I don't remember the salvage title being a big deal at all. I did need an inspection by a DMV registered repair shop, but there was one right by work and all the DMV was interested in were brakes and lights (headlamp alignment seemed to be a big deal). I also think my insurer wanted to take a quick look too, but that was just a formality.


No big deal, just 4 hours of my time and $100 or so wasted.


Thank you for the heads up on the DMV, the insurance has acknowledge that yes the car will continue under my insurance policy.


You are welcome. The insurance rate may go up, or not, I carry only liability now that my car is salvaged but my understanding you can usually still buy collision/comprehensive but they may want to see your car first. As for DMV I had to go to 3 different places:

a) a CHP office with paperwork about repair and parts used, I guess they wanted to make sure I didn't use parts that were stolen
b) a certified salvage inspection shop
c) DMV office - auto club doesn't do salvage title registrations

I'm not totally sure about the total cost of the above, it may have been more than $100, I know it registered in my memory as an expense I didn't plan for.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
53.92AHr, SOH 84.5%, 140k miles

9kW Solar

vgonzalez
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:23 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2011
Location: Concord, CA

Re: 2011 Leaf total loss with new battery replaced in 7/2016

Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:19 am

Valdemar wrote:
vgonzalez wrote:
Valdemar wrote:
No big deal, just 4 hours of my time and $100 or so wasted.


Thank you for the heads up on the DMV, the insurance has acknowledge that yes the car will continue under my insurance policy.


You are welcome. The insurance rate may go up, or not, I carry only liability now that my car is salvaged but my understanding you can usually still buy collision/comprehensive but they may want to see your car first. As for DMV I had to go to 3 different places:

a) a CHP office with paperwork about repair and parts used, I guess they wanted to make sure I didn't use parts that were stolen
b) a certified salvage inspection shop
c) DMV office - auto club doesn't do salvage title registrations

I'm not totally sure about the total cost of the above, it may have been more than $100, I know it registered in my memory as an expense I didn't plan for.


I am documenting the California process and wiil be posted here for others to know.

Valdemar
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: 2011 Leaf total loss with new battery replaced in 7/2016

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:49 am

I would like to learn about your reasoning to keep a salvaged Leaf over a 3 year Honda Clarity EV lease I mentioned earlier.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
53.92AHr, SOH 84.5%, 140k miles

9kW Solar

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”