Hi and LeafSpy Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrvous

Hi all

New owner here of a 2018 Leaf S. I've been fascinated by the car ever since it came out and finally it came time to take the plunge. Love the car and really happy with it!

From what I've read everyone says to start tracking battery stats from the start using LeafSpy. I've been searching and searching but cannot find a definitive answer on which OBD-2 bluetooth dongle to use with LeafSpy running on an iPhone8. It seems like many have had success with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/LELink-Bluetooth-Energy-OBD-II-Diagnostic/dp/B00QJRYMFC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Is this the one to get or is there a better/cheaper one that works? Sorry for the newbie question.

Thanks!

nrvous said:
https://www.amazon.com/LELink-Bluetooth-Energy-OBD-II-Diagnostic/dp/B00QJRYMFC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Is this the one to get or is there a better/cheaper one that works? Sorry for the newbie question.

Thanks!

That's the one I bought & it works great. I bought a cheaper one about 6 years ago & that worked fine for my then Kia & I was using when I first got my Prius but after so many minutes or miles of being plugged into the OBDII port would make the car throw a master warning that would require me to pull over, remove the the adaptor, power cycle the car & then reinstall the cheaper adaptor.

My hope is the new adaptor is of higher quality & won't freak out the Leaf CanBus like the Prius CanBus used to.

Thanks. I just realized I already own an OBD-2 reader that I've used on my other cars. Could I use that instead of the bluetooth dongle just to take some readings like once per month? I don't need to leave it plugged in all the time. I'm afraid I'll brick the car or something!

nrvous said:
Thanks. I just realized I already own an OBD-2 reader that I've used on my other cars. Could I use that instead of the bluetooth dongle just to take some readings like once per month? I don't need to leave it plugged in all the time. I'm afraid I'll brick the car or something!

If it is a typical OBDII scanner for gas/diesel/hybrid cars, it will not work with the LEAF because purely electric cars are not required to follow the OBDII standard (and most do not). Nissan uses the OBDII hardware so the dealer test equipment (Consult 3+) can access the electric cars with suitable software. You need LEAF Spy for either Apple or Android along with a suitable wireless OBDII adapter. I recommend that you get LEAF Spy Pro because it lets you read and clear diagnostic trouble codes and perform some maintenance functions.

Back