Level 2 charging question, 2018 Leaf, SL, Technology package

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@cwerdna & others I totally get the concern about using a NEMA 14-50 on a 40A circuit breaker when technically the receptacle is rated for 50A.

Practically speaking the odds of someone plugging in a electric oven or a welder are the primary other possible appliances & both are very unlikely scenarios and if a welder is to be employed then said person would likely have enough knowledge of residential wiring to know they needed bigger wires to support the greater amperage draw.

To address your question/concern about a 40A Tesla UMC being plugged in; the breaker would trip from an over current because too much amperage was being drawn on the circuit which would lead to a technically competent person(homeowner &/or electrician) to determine bigger wires are needed or you could simply adjust your Tesla home charging UMC EVSE to 32A & all would be perfectly safe & happy albeit a slightly lower charge that practically speaking is irrelevant in day to day use.

My point was simply there's perfectly safe ways to save some money while being safe because of the charge limitations of the car.

I love future proofing myself but I'm hoping that in 10 years we will be able to utilize 60-80A EVSE so the suggested 50A would be insufficient in that scenario. Or have some sort of home based Chademo/DC fast charger/Supercharger option if you need/want a quick 50-100 miles without waiting on L2 charge rates.

In summary charging a BEV at L2 at 32A equates to around 20-22 miles/hour of charging which is more than enough for all but the most extreme commuters & they are already in a 80kwh or greater car if they are using a BEV for that commute so greater than 32A charging IMO is moot.

I have a 200 amp box, so adding the 50 amp should not be a problem. The only appliances that draw a lot of amps in my house would be the AC and the electric dryer, both on a separate 30 amp breaker. I would charge between 12 midnight and 6 am so should not be a problem.

I looked at the 2018 Leaf Owners Manual, and agree I saw "50 amp" mentioned twice, not a half dozen times. This was in the Charging section only. Perhaps mentioned elsewhere.

I think doing the 50 amp vs. the 40 amp breaker is good insurance for future electric cars. I lease for 3 years, so who knows what will be the next car and its requirements.

As an update:

Installed the 240 volt line, NEMA 14-50 receptacle, 50 amp breaker, No. 6 AWG wire.
Cranked it up the other night, used the delay on my car to start after midnight when rates are the lowest, came out in the morning and charging all done, 100%. Woo hoo!

HerdingElectrons,
Can I set the climate timer through the car display or do I need the EV Connect app for that?
thanks

Through the car is how I do it.

Turn the car on to by dbl pressing the power switch but don't hold the brake so it's on but not ready to drive. Then cycle through the dash menu until you get to the settings tab & scroll down to the climate timer 1 or 2. Incidentally this is also the area where you can set a charging timer as well so it finishes charging right before you leave. Technically that's better for the battery since your keeping the car at the highest SOC for the least amount of time AND in colder weather charging right before you leave has the side benefit of preheating the battery which has several potential positives for energy/range savings as well as energy flow depending on how cold the ambient temp is, garaged or not, etc..

In the climate timer section you can choose a departure time & the car preconditions the interior to your set temperature 30 min before departure when plugged in & 15 min if using the battery IF you enable that option. I personally don't precondition the interior if not plugged in.

Back