SageBrush
Posts: 2841
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:47 pm

powersurge wrote: Where will brand loyalty and brand confidence be then?

About where it is now, in the sewer.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

JohnBysinger
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:16 am

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:26 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:Another option for those who bought and not ready to jump into another car payment. Fenix Power will start offering lease options in Fall 2019. If you are happy with your "new LEAF" range and plan to hold onto your car for at least a few more years, this might be something you will want to start tracking.


http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2018/10 ... ttery.html


I can address people's questions about this product, I'm the founder of Fenix, we've had a ton of questions about how our solution works and have updated our FAQ to address them. But that doesn't cover everything, so let me know if there's something else you'd like to know. https://fenix.systems/faq

Lothsahn
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:35 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:16 am

powersurge wrote:I am really sorry to hear of this price increase. I have always assumed that, like computers, tech gets better, as the prices fall. I cannot believe that the same batteries (24KWH) have GONE UP I price, unless they were made in 1) low volume, and 2) are discontinuing manufacturing.

With price tags like this, an owner of a 24KWH car should be given the option of the higher volume, more current, higher capacity batteries. However, It seems that this may be a strategy to take the cars away from the owners, just like Apple has done to the Iphone. Old phone--- bad, new phone---- good...

A better business model, IMO, would be to charge $8500 for a 40KWH battery, and keep Nissan EV numbers high on the road. Old Leaf owners would have the benefit of improved performance. That would advertise their brand, and reduce he fear of current Gas drivers from trying EVs. When you see more of them, then you think "everybody is doin' it"

There are too few Leafs on the road as it is.... Nissan is cutting its throat if they promote used Leafs to be junked................ Where will brand loyalty and brand confidence be then???????


Agree. If Nissan had told me they hiked the price, but it was for a 40kWh battery, I would have been overjoyed. Now I'm just frustrated. The packs even have the same physical dimensions, so the only barriers here are adapting the VCM to speak the new CAN bus protocol, QA, qualification, and testing.
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
7 bars and really feeling the range squeeze

User avatar
UBUYGAS
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:35 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190
Location: Central NJ
Contact: ICQ Website WLM Yahoo Messenger AOL

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:44 pm

And I was (I think) their 8th customer. I have paid my $150 install cost now instead of $1500 next year.

You can also save 10% by using my discount code: LEAF380

Sal Cameli
aka UBUYGAS



JohnBysinger wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:Another option for those who bought and not ready to jump into another car payment. Fenix Power will start offering lease options in Fall 2019. If you are happy with your "new LEAF" range and plan to hold onto your car for at least a few more years, this might be something you will want to start tracking.


http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2018/10 ... ttery.html


I can address people's questions about this product, I'm the founder of Fenix, we've had a ton of questions about how our solution works and have updated our FAQ to address them. But that doesn't cover everything, so let me know if there's something else you'd like to know. https://fenix.systems/faq
Are you new to Plug-In Vehicles?

Have you charged in public yet?

If not, you really should read the EV Guidelines?

Learn them today by clicking here: http://EVguidelines.com

webb14leafs
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:43 am
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2017

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:40 am

I'm not ready to skewer Nissan just yet. There are worse things than being a victim of early adoption issues. Also, for the overwhelming number of owners, the total cost of ownership is so low that even if the car is a brick in 7 or 8 years, it's still not a huge loss compared to an ICE vehicle.

The real crime is that dealers are so dumb about the car that many buyers can't make an informed decision about range needs and potential battery degradation.

powersurge
Posts: 1096
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:06 am

SageBrush wrote:
powersurge wrote: Where will brand loyalty and brand confidence be then?

About where it is now, in the sewer.


I think that we, as a Leaf-specific group could do something about this battery price increase issue. IMO, this price increase is not the real issue, but a telltale symptom of what Nissan apparently wants to do in the future...

Either the older 24KWH batteries are no longer produced, or the remaining batteries that will ultimately be made will be sold (as rarity factor) for the highest price possible. This reminds me of when computer hard drives were getting bigger and bigger in the 1990s, and it wasn't worth replacing your old computer's hard drive with the original size drive because they weren't made any more. So, we bought and installed newer, larger hard drives into our older computers... Although we kept the old computers running..... The computer companies did not care because there were plenty of NEW Customers to buy the newer, better faster, evolving computers..... And we "early adopters" had the fun keeping our old machines running.

This increase in battery price and limit of installing the "original size" battery is an indication that Nissan's plan is to make perfectly good cars be taken off the road. As it is, Nissan Leafs are still a rare sight on U.S. roads. I would expect that Nissan would like to increase their LEAF EV presence in all communities, as the change from petroleum to electric cars evolves.

Potential new EV owners WANT to see older EVs on the road. It will pique their interest and give them confidence in purchasing one as a long term investment. So it would be good business for Nissan to keep every Leaf produced on the road, and the initial adopters would be rewarded with a "modded out" Leaf with greater range than ever, but using current, more plentiful, easier to find, and cheaper batteries (like my bigger hard drive analogy).

How about we all, either together or individually, send "letters of displeasure" to Nissan about the benefit of them continuing to support every Leaf ever produced... Into the future. I personally would like to be driving my Leaf when it is 20 or more years old....

JohnBysinger
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:16 am

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:41 am

UBUYGAS wrote:And I was (I think) their 8th customer. I have paid my $150 install cost now instead of $1500 next year.

You can also save 10% by using my discount code: LEAF380

Sal Cameli
aka UBUYGAS

I can address people's questions about this product, I'm the founder of Fenix, we've had a ton of questions about how our solution works and have updated our FAQ to address them. But that doesn't cover everything, so let me know if there's something else you'd like to know. https://fenix.systems/faq


I want to add to this and update people who are interested, as some have asked if we're using deposits to fund the business like a Kickstarter or similar. To do what we're doing takes a bit more resources than the average crowdfunded watch or drone, and early deposits simply won't work as a source of funding. What they do serve as is a measure of confidence for our investors in the need that the market has for a solution like ours. Many have also asked why we're not doing a zero-dollar deposit, and in the words of one of our seed investors "Anyone can sign up to something for free, that doesn't make them a customer." So here we are, looking to measure the market with quantifiable customer interest. To demonstrate this further, we've created a new discount code, which if you combine it with a referral code like Sal's above, makes the signup a simple $99 for the next 25 customers. Additionally, we've worked out some of our backend fee issues and have reduced the refund processing fee to $10 from $25 (We hope to get that lower, still working on it.)

As always, we've received great feedback here and in other forums, we want to make our product and service the best we can when we get to market, so any questions and comments are always welcome. If you're ready to put down a deposit and use this discount, take note of Sal's above and use the additional coupon of "Get99" here: https://fenix.systems/product/nissan-le ... eplacement

-John

Astros
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:21 am
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2018
Leaf Number: 306739
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:35 pm

JohnBysinger wrote:
I want to add to this and update people who are interested, as some have asked if we're using deposits to fund the business like a Kickstarter or similar. To do what we're doing takes a bit more resources than the average crowdfunded watch or drone, and early deposits simply won't work as a source of funding. What they do serve as is a measure of confidence for our investors in the need that the market has for a solution like ours. Many have also asked why we're not doing a zero-dollar deposit, and in the words of one of our seed investors "Anyone can sign up to something for free, that doesn't make them a customer." So here we are, looking to measure the market with quantifiable customer interest. To demonstrate this further, we've created a new discount code, which if you combine it with a referral code like Sal's above, makes the signup a simple $99 for the next 25 customers. Additionally, we've worked out some of our backend fee issues and have reduced the refund processing fee to $10 from $25 (We hope to get that lower, still working on it.)

As always, we've received great feedback here and in other forums, we want to make our product and service the best we can when we get to market, so any questions and comments are always welcome. If you're ready to put down a deposit and use this discount, take note of Sal's above and use the additional coupon of "Get99" here: https://fenix.systems/product/nissan-le ... eplacement

-John


Hi John,

I think this is a very interesting service you will be offering, and if I still had my 30kWh Leaf I would probably sign up. Earlier this year I traded it in for a 2018 Leaf, which suits us perfectly except for the potential battery degradation and the lack of thermal management for long trips. Would it be possible to sign up now, but wait to take advantage of your service once you can support 2018 and later Leafs?

Also, it would be a great demonstration and advertising of your service if you could outfit a 30kWh Leaf with one of your packs, and take it on a 500 mile road trip in a single day. If your pack could sustain ~50kW charging for the whole trip that would be very enticing to us Leaf drivers.
Jade Frost 2018 SV

Lothsahn
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:35 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:20 pm

JohnBysinger wrote:
UBUYGAS wrote:As always, we've received great feedback here and in other forums, we want to make our product and service the best we can when we get to market, so any questions and comments are always welcome. If you're ready to put down a deposit and use this discount, take note of Sal's above and use the additional coupon of "Get99" here: https://fenix.systems/product/nissan-le ... eplacement


I tried to put down a deposit but your website doesn't seem to work. The paypal window just closes and never asks me to enter the paypal information. I sent you an email with more details (and what I think is the solution).
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
7 bars and really feeling the range squeeze

JohnBysinger
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:16 am

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:56 am

Astros wrote:
JohnBysinger wrote:
I want to add to this and update people who are interested, as some have asked if we're using deposits to fund the business like a Kickstarter or similar. To do what we're doing takes a bit more resources than the average crowdfunded watch or drone, and early deposits simply won't work as a source of funding. What they do serve as is a measure of confidence for our investors in the need that the market has for a solution like ours. Many have also asked why we're not doing a zero-dollar deposit, and in the words of one of our seed investors "Anyone can sign up to something for free, that doesn't make them a customer." So here we are, looking to measure the market with quantifiable customer interest. To demonstrate this further, we've created a new discount code, which if you combine it with a referral code like Sal's above, makes the signup a simple $99 for the next 25 customers. Additionally, we've worked out some of our backend fee issues and have reduced the refund processing fee to $10 from $25 (We hope to get that lower, still working on it.)

As always, we've received great feedback here and in other forums, we want to make our product and service the best we can when we get to market, so any questions and comments are always welcome. If you're ready to put down a deposit and use this discount, take note of Sal's above and use the additional coupon of "Get99" here: https://fenix.systems/product/nissan-le ... eplacement

-John


Hi John,

I think this is a very interesting service you will be offering, and if I still had my 30kWh Leaf I would probably sign up. Earlier this year I traded it in for a 2018 Leaf, which suits us perfectly except for the potential battery degradation and the lack of thermal management for long trips. Would it be possible to sign up now, but wait to take advantage of your service once you can support 2018 and later Leafs?

Also, it would be a great demonstration and advertising of your service if you could outfit a 30kWh Leaf with one of your packs, and take it on a 500 mile road trip in a single day. If your pack could sustain ~50kW charging for the whole trip that would be very enticing to us Leaf drivers.



Thanks for your interest Astros, and I love the suggestion of the 500 mile trip. We, of course, will be doing DCQC validation, but I like the real-world suggestion. We should be able to provide something like this to share long before we get to production.


And to Lothsahn, thank you for working with us, your troubleshooting help in email was great! I've reached out to the Paypal plugin authors to try to get that bug corrected, but our long-term solution is to move to Square as our payment processor. Thanks again!

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”