2018 leaf Automatic Headlights

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komondor5

Hi

I am looking at purchasing a 2018/9 Leaf trading in my Ford CMAX PHEV, but there are a couple of nits that are issues.

One is something that I hope I can get a definitive answer on:

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that with the auto headlight system on you cannot turn the high beans on below 30 MPH.
You have to put the lights back on manual to use the high beams below 30 MPH?

The other issues I am sure others have stated:

Telescoping steering wheel

Dual Zone Heat/AC

Anyone in Denver have a 2018

Thanks

From the 2018 manual:

The High Beam Assist system will operate when the vehicle is driven at speeds of approximately 19 mph (30 km/h) and above. If an oncoming vehicle or leading vehicle appears in front of your vehicle when the headlight high beam is on, the headlight will be switched to the low beam automatically.

and...

When the vehicle speed lowers to less than approximately 12 mph (20 km/h), the head- light remains the low beam.

By the way, I believe Hi-Beam Assist is only available on SV and SL trims as part of the Technology Package.

Replying to your question, "Anyone in Denver?"

I bought a 2018 Leaf S from Boulder Nissan just before the Xcel $3000 rebate ended October 30 (if I understood things correctly). I traded in my 2010 Kia Soul ($6000) and will have ended up paying about $12000 for the car after the $7500 federal tax credit next year. Frankly, I did no research at all...I just decided I never drove the Kia more than 150 miles at a time and thought an electric car would be interesting. Also, I had a 240V outlet in my insulated garage. What I got was a great looking gun metal gray car with the Charge Package, the All Weather Package, Protection Package, and carpeted floor mats and cargo area mat for a total sticker price of $33,360.00. That was just the way the car was configured.

The really nice sales rep drove it out, peeled off all the protective plastic, and charged it up for a test drive. I bought it. I have the Nissan charger more or less permanently installed in my garage. I don't see any point in carrying it around in the trunk of the car. When the battery gets down to where the estimated range is less than about 50 miles we plug it in and charge until all the lights above the dash go out.

My wife drives it most of the time and loves the heated seat and steering wheel. In fact, she likes the Leaf a lot better than the Kia Soul.

At night I just turn on the headlights and use the high beam in dark neighborhoods...just like I did with all my old cars. I use the Auto setting and have never noticed anything unusual.

I don't think my car has High Beam Assist:

"High Beam Assist (if so equipped)
The High Beam Assist system will operate
when the vehicle is driven at speeds of approximately
19 mph (30 km/h) and above. If
an oncoming vehicle or leading vehicle appears
in front of your vehicle when the
headlight high beam is on, the headlight
will be switched to the low beamautomatically"

Finally, the All Weather Package includes Rear Heater Ducts. On really cold days when I plan to drive, I put a small electric heater in the trunk area to warm up the car for half an hour or so.

The S likely doesn't have Auto headlights as an option. Unless you drive it right after charging, you might want to try for an 80-90% charge most of the time. That is better for the battery, and since you plan to keep the car you don't want to be losing capacity unnecessarily...

I thought the third charge light flashing meant the 12V battery was charging. Therefore, unplugging the charger before all lights were out would interrupt the 12V battery charging.

"When the indicator light 3 flashes
The indicator light 3 flashes when the 12-
volt battery is being charged. For additional
information, refer to “Charging the 12-volt
battery” in the “EV overview” section of this
manual.
The indicator light will also flash for up to
5 minutes if the electrical power from the
EVSE or charging device is interrupted during
charging. Charging will restart automatically
when the electrical power from
the EVSE or charging device is restored if
the normal charge connector is connected.
The charge start beep will not
sound when charging restarts.
The indicator will also flash when the following
systems are operating:
• Climate Ctrl. Timer
• Remote climate control (if so equipped)
• Li-ion battery warmer (if so equipped)"

The vast majority of 12 volt battery charging occurs when the car is on. You are confusing what happens when the car decides to add charge to the little battery (third light flashes) because it is low with what happens while the car is charging (the 12 volt battery gets a little charge but not a lot). You can unplug the car whenever you want to limit the charge. In fact, unplugging it is pretty much the ONLY way to limit the charge to less than 100% indicated. Just calculate or observe how much your charging station adds per hour, and try to unplug when it gets to around 80%.

wIu6oq.png

It isn't clear to me when this light would flash...while driving or when charging?

Light #3 will flash once in a while while the car is sitting and OFF. Charging the accessory battery while driving is a completely invisible process, as it is with a normal car.

Answering 2 of your comments in original post:

I have SL model, no dual control for heating/AC

Tilt steering wheel, no telescopic.......I think they made a mistake by not offering telescopic, but then again its all relative, when I test drove the Bolt:

- I did not like the way it drove compared to the Leaf. (personal taste)
- No power driver seat
- No Adaptive Cruise Control.

Back