LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: two-phase 50amps electric switch for EV charger

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:03 pm

IIRC, the NEC requires a disconnect for EVSEs if the breaker box is distant from the 240 outlet (I don't remember if it's line of sight or a set distance) but in that case you don't use the switch normally - it's for emergencies and to make servicing easier and safer. If you have a breaker panel somewhere near your 240 outlet, that's all you need. Remember than an EVSE isn't sitting in a tub full of water in which you will be bathing, and that the better EVSEs have GFCI built in.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Baltneu
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2018
Leaf Number: 313633

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:54 am

I keep my EVSE supplied by Nissan plugged in all the time to the 14-50 NEMA receptacle.
Never heard of unplugging when not in use. It does not draw any power until plugged into the car.
Good luck.
2018 Gun Metallic Gray, SL, Technology Package, etc.

theothertom
Delivery Date: 19 Sep 2018

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:45 am

Baltneu wrote:I keep my EVSE supplied by Nissan plugged in all the time to the 14-50 NEMA receptacle.
Never heard of unplugging when not in use. It does not draw any power until plugged into the car.
Good luck.

I live in a lightning prone area and sometimes it's a good idea to unplug the EVSE when not in use. Otherwise you're correct...it doesn't draw power just sitting there.

wwhitney
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:37 am

Tagar wrote:Better examples though - hot tub that has similar to EV voltage/ amperage, and The National Electrical Code (NEC) specifies
installation of an approved manual disconnect device adjacent to the hot tub, at least 5 feet away, and within line of sight.

I think NEC hasn't caught up yet with EV chargers, and IMO it might be mandated later by the National Electrical Code to have
a similar to hot tubs disconnect device.

Actually, the NEC has had language in it governing disconnect requirements for an EVSE for a while. It says (625.23) "For electric vehicle supply
equipment rated more than 60 amperes or more than 150 volts to ground, the disconnecting means shall be provided and installed in a readily accessible location." Note that standard US 120V/240V household electrical service is 120V to ground.

So the NEC says that a disconnect in not required in your situation. It would be required for, e.g., a Tesla Wall Connector installed on a 70 amp or larger circuit, though.

Cheers, Wayne

Baltneu
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2018
Leaf Number: 313633

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:08 pm

theothertom wrote:
Baltneu wrote:I keep my EVSE supplied by Nissan plugged in all the time to the 14-50 NEMA receptacle.
Good luck.

I live in a lightning prone area and sometimes it's a good idea to unplug the EVSE when not in use. Otherwise you're correct...it doesn't draw power just sitting there.

Isn’t that one of the reasons we install circuit breakers in the panel?
2018 Gun Metallic Gray, SL, Technology Package, etc.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:29 pm

Baltneu wrote:
theothertom wrote:
Good luck.

Lightning just jumped 1,000 feet through the air.... if it direct hits your house, the breaker will not matter. Unplugging may not matter.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
I-Pace on order for end of 2018 delivery

Tagar
Delivery Date: 23 Sep 2018

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:19 pm

smkettner wrote:
Baltneu wrote:
theothertom wrote:I live in a lightning prone area and sometimes it's a good idea to unplug the EVSE when not in use. Otherwise you're correct...it doesn't draw power just sitting there.

Lightning just jumped 1,000 feet through the air.... if it direct hits your house, the breaker will not matter. Unplugging may not matter.

Lightning is a threat without directly hitting your house.
If it was somewhat close, electric lines can have induced a good amount of voltage there too.

Tagar
Delivery Date: 23 Sep 2018

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:20 pm

wwhitney wrote:
Tagar wrote:Better examples though - hot tub that has similar to EV voltage/ amperage, and The National Electrical Code (NEC) specifies
installation of an approved manual disconnect device adjacent to the hot tub, at least 5 feet away, and within line of sight.

I think NEC hasn't caught up yet with EV chargers, and IMO it might be mandated later by the National Electrical Code to have
a similar to hot tubs disconnect device.

Actually, the NEC has had language in it governing disconnect requirements for an EVSE for a while. It says (625.23) "For electric vehicle supply
equipment rated more than 60 amperes or more than 150 volts to ground, the disconnecting means shall be provided and installed in a readily accessible location." Note that standard US 120V/240V household electrical service is 120V to ground.

So the NEC says that a disconnect in not required in your situation. It would be required for, e.g., a Tesla Wall Connector installed on a 70 amp or larger circuit, though.

Cheers, Wayne

Good point. Didn't know about 625.23

Thanks Wayne

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:46 am

Tagar wrote:
smkettner wrote:
Baltneu wrote:

Lightning is a threat without directly hitting your house.
If it was somewhat close, electric lines can have induced a good amount of voltage there too.

Lightning hit a tree about 3 meters away from a house we were living in many years ago.

It was amazing all the things that needed replacement. Several incandescent light bulbs, one that was switched off. Every power strip we owned. Many things plugged in, TVs radios, clocks and such. The telephones. Nothing unplugged, however.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:08 pm

Nothing unplugged, however.

Yeah, lightning isn't Bad Magic - it can't plug things back in and then fry them, and it can't jump several feet or more inside the house from plug to socket. Maybe if the EVSE were unplugged but the plug was still just inches away from the socket, and aligned with it...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”