Eco Mode vs. non-Eco Mode?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltneu

I saw a YouTube video of a driver stating and showing a graph of better efficiency while driving without Eco mode on.
Anyone have experience on this especially with a 2018 model?

It all depends on how you drive and under what conditions. Eco is usually better in stop and go driving, and for highway driving with the heat blasting. D mode can be better for freeway cruising, if you have a gentle foot.

Baltneu said:
I saw a YouTube video of a driver stating and showing a graph of better efficiency while driving without Eco mode on.

Some people may experience improvement, but it's not because the motor becomes any more efficient, it's just that the flat throttle response may help them reduce their habit of over-accelerating. You have the full range of 0%-100% power available in either mode, you just have to move your foot further in Eco mode. Eco mode will also put a cap of 3KW on the amount of energy the HVAC can command but that doesn't usually amount to much saving in my experience, as it's offset by the HVAC simply running longer to catch up.

Short answer: people with poor situational or kinesthetic awareness may experience a minor efficiency gain in Eco mode. For me, I just vastly prefer the linear throttle-response you get in Eco.

+1 & QFT!

Nubo said:
Baltneu said:

Some people may experience improvement, but it's not because the motor becomes any more efficient, it's just that the flat throttle response may help them reduce their habit of over-accelerating. You have the full range of 0%-100% power available in either mode, you just have to move your foot further in Eco mode. Eco mode will also put a cap of 3KW on the amount of energy the HVAC can command but that doesn't usually amount to much saving in my experience, as it's offset by the HVAC simply running longer to catch up.

Short answer: people with poor situational or kinesthetic awareness may experience a minor efficiency gain in Eco mode. For me, I just vastly prefer the linear throttle-response you get in Eco.

Back