value of my 2014 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawlins02

I'm thinking of selling my 2014 S, with charge package.. I'm finding the range with the 24kWh battery in the relatively cold climate of Massachusetts to be too limited for my needs. Thinking of moving up. It is late 2014 build in very good shape, 48k miles, all 12 bars on battery capacity. I bought it from a dealer in Feb 2017 for $8400. I'd probably consider selling for 7k. Worth that much?

Yes, easily, but you may have to advertise out of state. Someone from a warmer climate would be more likely to enjoy the car. Or someone more local with a 20-30 mile round trip commute who doesn't take trips.

You'll have to ask yourself why the car only cost $8400 in Feb 2017. In general the LEAF depreciates quite a bit more than $70 a month.

SageBrush said:
You'll have to ask yourself why the car only cost $8400 in Feb 2017. In general the LEAF depreciates quite a bit more than $70 a month.

Prices of used LEAFs have risen as well as fallen.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/Nissan-Leaf-d2077

A 2014 LEAF dropped to all time low of $9,630 in Feb 2017, and rose to $11,275 by June of 2017.

OP, are you within driving range of CarMax's store in Westborough? If so you may want to have them appraise your car, even if you don't sell it to them it can give you an idea of what you might be able to get for the car.

Westborough has no Leafs in stock, but they're willing to transfer cars from as far away as Atlanta for $249, perhaps there might be some demand for EVs there.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:

A 2014 LEAF dropped to all time low of $9,630 in Feb 2017, and rose to $11,275 by June of 2017.

That's an average of around $10,600. Pretty good.

RonDawg said:
OP, are you within driving range of CarMax's store in Westborough? If so you may want to have them appraise your car, even if you don't sell it to them it can give you an idea of what you might be able to get for the car.

Westborough has no Leafs in stock, but they're willing to transfer cars from as far away as Atlanta for $249, perhaps there might be some demand for EVs there.

Thanks all for the help.

@RonDawg : It's just out of range. But there's a Level 2 charge station on the way, and quick chargers in Worcester. Will see what they have to say, sometime in the next few weeks.

rawlins02 said:
WetEV said:
SageBrush said:

That's an average of around $10,600. Pretty good.
It does not work that way.

Your car (at the dealer, no less) was priced $1,200 less than the CarGurus average when you bought the car. Unless the reason(s) for that lower price have changed, you can expect them to be in play. The break-down looks like this:

Car appreciation/depreciation unrelated to time
Dealership cut
Depreciation related to time (about $125 - $150 a month)

---
Let us know how it goes. My guess is that the dealership that sold the car will offer ~ $5,000.

Here is the current dealer auction wholesale value of a 2014 LEAF S:

2014_LEAF_S_Wholesale_11-20-18.jpg

@rawlins02 why not privately sell your 2014 S yourself? Admittedly, it's a bit of a hassle and work, but we'll worth the effort in my experience. Based on autotrader.com results for a 200 mile radius of Boston for 2014/2015 LEAFs, you should be able to get 10k easily, perhaps 11k, if you sell it yourself.

rawlins02 said:
I'm thinking of selling my 2014 S, with charge package.. I'm finding the range with the 24kWh battery in the relatively cold climate of Massachusetts to be too limited for my needs. Thinking of moving up. It is late 2014 build in very good shape, 48k miles, all 12 bars on battery capacity. I bought it from a dealer in Feb 2017 for $8400. I'd probably consider selling for 7k. Worth that much?

I'd like to make that deal with you - but located in Houston, TX, just will not work. I need the bidirectional protocol enabled in the CHAdeMO - that apparently is only in the 2013 and later. Question - do you have LeafSpy? so that we would know the actual amp-hours of the battery? If that Leaf had been in Houston, it would likely be close to a battery replacement under warranty - certainly not 12 bars! BTW, I'm up to 43,000 miles and about to lose the first bar - on the replacement battery.

rawlins02 said:
I bought my 2013 with quick charging about a year and half ago with about 36K mileage for around $6,000, the battery was already degraded to a certain degree and I got a replacement battery last year just before the warranty was up.

Marktm said:
rawlins02 said:

I'd like to make that deal with you - but located in Houston, TX, just will not work. I need the bidirectional protocol enabled in the CHAdeMO - that apparently is only in the 2013 and later.

If distance is the only reason you wouldn't buy the car, why not get a quote from a car shipping service?

Marktm said:
rawlins02 said:

I'd like to make that deal with you - but located in Houston, TX, just will not work. I need the bidirectional protocol enabled in the CHAdeMO - that apparently is only in the 2013 and later. Question - do you have LeafSpy? so that we would know the actual amp-hours of the battery? If that Leaf had been in Houston, it would likely be close to a battery replacement under warranty - certainly not 12 bars! BTW, I'm up to 43,000 miles and about to lose the first bar - on the replacement battery.

I do not have LeafSpy. My assumption that 12 bars on display is accurate is supported by the fact that ChargePoint station displays indicate that the car receives ~20 kWh when going from around 5% to 100% charge. On a full charge and in warm weather I can go about 70 miles on highway at around 60 MPH. Seeing 12 bars, at 48k miles, is good enough for me right now.

I'll add that I'm very pleased that there have been no problems in the nearly 22 months. These truly are low maintenance vehicles.

rawlins02 said:
The battery accepted 21.1 kWh the other day going from turtle to 100%. I'm assuming that makes sense with a dash display capacity of 12 bars. Appears to be excellent relative to average, based on this study:

https://pushevs.com/2018/03/20/nissan-leaf-battery-degradation-data-24-vs-30-kwh-batteries/
Good test, and good result. An L2 EVSE has about 12% losses during charging so your test implies ~ 18.6 kWh usable, very close to losing the 12th capacity bar. Everybody should evaluate their cars the way you have done.

SageBrush said:
rawlins02 said:
The battery accepted 21.1 kWh the other day going from turtle to 100%. I'm assuming that makes sense with a dash display capacity of 12 bars. Appears to be excellent relative to average, based on this study:

https://pushevs.com/2018/03/20/nissan-leaf-battery-degradation-data-24-vs-30-kwh-batteries/
Good test, and good result. An L2 EVSE has about 12% losses during charging so your test implies ~ 18.6 kWh usable, very close to losing the 12th capacity bar. Everybody should evaluate their cars the way you have done.

Thinking about selling car to my sister who lives about about 500 miles to the south. Not quite as cold there. She does not tend to do 35-40 mile one-way drives like I've been making. I'd probably sell it to her at about 2/3 value. Still assuming this car might be valued at $8,000 to someone living in northern part of Mid-Atlantic region. Maybe sell it for $5400, as part of a birthday gift.

SageBrush said:
rawlins02 said:

If the battery wasn't cold. I'd bet it was, this time of year.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
rawlins02 said:

If the battery wasn't cold. I'd bet it was, this time of year.

I'd only driven about 2 miles to charger. Yes battery probably cold. So if cold, what would be different? Not a good test? Not a good result? No 12% loss during charging?

Back