How disappointed should I be that Nissan did not include liquid battery cooling on the Leaf E-Plus?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
cwerdna said:
Back to used S, one problem is that once out of warranty, they can become money pits too.
Of course, and the same is true for the LEAF.
Ok, but a Leaf that has declined in value to $18K likely still has some of its warranty left and isn't very old and high mileage vs. a Model S that has fallen to $18K in value, which I didn't even find any of when quickly searching the other night.

Tesla Model S long term reliability has not exactly been stellar and is questionable even while under warranty.

Both of us bought Leafs for well under $18K. I don't recall your story but my $9,325 + tax and license used Leaf I bought in July 2015 was ~25 months old so I still had ~11 months of 3 year/36K basic warranty left and over 2 years of EV system/powertrain warranty left. Currently, I still have over 2 years remaining for battery defects warranty and I wouldn't say at Leaf is at end of life at 63K miles (where I'm at now).

cwerdna said:
Tesla Model S long term reliability has not exactly been stellar and is questionable even while under warranty.

This. Even out of warranty, reliability wise, you're much better off with a used Leaf than Model S. The Model S has an overall reliability of 2/5 while the Leaf has an overall reliablity of 5/5 according to Consumer Reports. This means that you're far less likely to need repairs on a Leaf than a Model S, if you are out of warranty. Many of the Leaf failures reported to CR are related to the 12v battery, yet it still has a 5/5.

The obvious exception to the exceptional Leaf reliability is the main battery, especially before April, 2013.

If you are very concerned about reliability, the Leaf is one of the best cars you can buy. Avoid 2012, 2014, and 2016 MY's. Avoid a car with a main battery built before 2015.

The obvious exception to the exceptional Leaf reliability is the main battery, especially before April, 2013.

If you are very concerned about reliability, the Leaf is one of the best cars you can buy. Avoid 2012, 2014, and 2016 MY's. Avoid a car with a main battery built before 2015.

A Leaf built after 3/2013 and before the Lizard pack stopped being used in 2016 - excepting the 30kwh cars - should be fine as long as the battery health is good. The "Wolf" pack seems to hold up about as well as the Lizard pack in cooler climates. It's true that 11 or 'barely 12' bar cars don't have a huge amount of range, but that isn't needed by quite a few people. If you are referring to a CR rating of less than 5/5, that is, as you wrote, most likely because of failed 12 volt batteries, and the occasional PTC heater replaced under warranty.

Lothsahn said:
cwerdna said:

This. Even out of warranty, reliability wise, you're much better off with a used Leaf than Model S. The Model S has an overall reliability of 2/5 while the Leaf has an overall reliablity of 5/5 according to Consumer Reports. This means that you're far less likely to need repairs on a Leaf than a Model S, if you are out of warranty. Many of the Leaf failures reported to CR are related to the 12v battery, yet it still has a 5/5.

Thanks. For my particular needs, anything under 50-60 kWh (when new) is probably a non-starter, but I do (also) highly prioritize reliability. I'm hoping when Bolts come down to my price range that folks are reporting them to be reliable and well-supported by the manufacturer, whether within warranty or out.

FYI:

Here is a diagram of the LEAF Plus's battery architecture. They have moved to a three cell low-resistance model that manages heat quite a bit better.

leafbatteryevolution.png

OrientExpress said:
FYI:

Here is a diagram of the LEAF Plus's battery architecture. They have moved to a three cell low-resistance model that manages heat quite a bit better.

leafbatteryevolution.png
This is precisely what I was expecting they had done by adding more cells and how I figured they would be ok without a TMS. I still don't think no TMS is a good idea and I won't be buying another non TMS EV as I've seen my pack get extremely hot when I need to do a lot of driving and a QC or 2 on a hot day. Maybe this 62kWh car will prove better in maintaining temperature and cell capacity... But I won't be buying one to find out.

As we all know, Nissan is fanatical when it comes to vehicle costs. Their thinking is if there is a satisfactory way of doing something that is cheaper than another more elaborate way, they will always pick the cheaper way. They are to polar opposite of companies like BMW or even Tesla that know they can offer product at a premium because they are not just selling transportation, they are selling status and exclusivity.

As we all know, Nissan is fanatical when it comes to vehicle costs. Their thinking is if there is a satisfactory way of doing something that is cheaper than another more elaborate way, they will always pick the cheaper way.

The problem, of course, is in how one defines "satisfactory." I really, really want the 40kwh pack to prove durable and resistant to degradation, because I can buy my car when the lease ends if it is. I just wish I had more confidence that this will prove to be the case...

OrientExpress said:
Their thinking is if there is a satisfactory way of doing something that is cheaper than another more elaborate way, they will always pick the cheaper way.
Certainly if at all possible, they screw the customer. I'm sure it keeps costs down but it is penny wise and pound foolish.

SageBrush said:
Certainly if at all possible, they screw the customer. I'm sure it keeps costs down but it is penny wise and pound foolish.

That is certainly one way to look at it. There will alway be a minority of whiners that feel that no matter what, that they are being screwed.

Another way to look at it is that the more value one can offer in a product, the more of those that aspire to drive an EV but are of limited means can achieve that aspiration.

Another way to look at it is that the more value one can offer in a product, the more of those that aspire to drive an EV but are of limited means can achieve that aspiration.

Yes, Nissan has definitely ensured that those of limited means will be able to afford a used Leaf - sometimes even a late model one.

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, Nissan has definitely ensured that those of limited means will be able to afford a used Leaf - sometimes even a late model one.

That certainly is true, and was really an unintended artifact of all of the incentives that were heaped on the first gen LEAFs that accelerated those cars depreciation. Of course those that made the decision to buy rather than lease the early cars probably have a different opinion of the outcome.

But keep in mind that Nissan has always been the king of low priced transportation, so it's in their DNA to squeeze out every ounce of cost they can from their vehicles.

Nissan still hasn't released their pricing of the LEAF Plus (I do expect it no later than the 1st of March), but I am pretty sure that just as they have the lowest priced 155 mile BEV, that they will do the same for their 200 mile+ offering as well.

Tsiah said:
This is precisely what I was expecting they had done by adding more cells and how I figured they would be ok without a TMS. I still don't think no TMS is a good idea and I won't be buying another non TMS EV as I've seen my pack get extremely hot when I need to do a lot of driving and a QC or 2 on a hot day. Maybe this 62kWh car will prove better in maintaining temperature and cell capacity... But I won't be buying one to find out.

What would you gain with a TMS?

How many hot days per year do you do a QC or 2? What outside temperature? What battery temperatures do you see? Do you have a set of LeafSpy logs you could reference or share to answer questions?

Salt Lake City is hot in the summer, and without any QCs would gain about 10% battery life with a TMS. I've added it to

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27677&p=547072#p547072

OrientExpress said:
There will alway be a minority of whiners that feel that no matter what, that they are being screwed.
You pretty much parrot the Nissan approach to customers: Nissan screws their customers, and any customer who is unhappy about it is a whiny minority.

What a miserable company.

Tsiah said:
OrientExpress said:
FYI:

leafbatteryevolution.png

Thanks to OrientExpress for the diagram and to Tsiah for the comment.

On personal buying, I also am unlikely to buy another vehicle without TMS, at least unless or until I see some years of evidence that it is holding up better than we have seen. Even though I live in a relatively hot area, the concern would not completely go away even if I lived in a different area.

On Industry discussion, around 2006-2010, I feared that Nissan was establishing a pattern of erring on the side making the battery show that it wouldn't hold up. I don't know as much about them, in general, as some here seem to, but I do know they already had the experience with the Lithium Ion vehicles around 2000 in California. During the mid-2000s, Chevy seemed to be taking a rather admirable amount of time, money and effort to build some protection for their battery going into the Volt, and Tesla seemed to do the same for their vehicles. So, those companies were offering added up-front cost but the possibility that the vehicles would hold up better, and thus in some equations be less costly, in the long run. It's true that many consumers may prioritize the short run in their buying decisions, but I thought it would be an interesting thing to see this play out.

- Here we are about eight years after the Volt and Leaf launched and I'm ok with the extent to which my six year old battery seems to be holding up on the Volt, and there seems to be some related decent valuation put on the used vehicles. Having watched the Volt development around the mid-2000s, I'm not surprised at these developments.

- On the other side of things, It became apparent not long after the Leaf launched that in some cases the Lithium Ion batteries, with passive air cooling, were not holding up well, and for some years overall the values on used Leafs have been pretty modest. The valuation issue is also tied in with the inevitable valuation drop of a gen1 short-range BEV. The failure of the batteries to hold up more consistently and to a higher level across the Leaf fleet didn't surprise me. However, Nissan's apparent decision (though I may have it wrong) in declining to move to a different angle on this.... an angle where they could err on the side of over-building (for want of a better word) the system and not under-building it, ....is potentially disappointing to me. It depends on a few things, including whether I am badly mis-perceiving how Nissan has approached this, or just maybe being too concerned.... maybe their architecture and other measures will bear out. I'm hopeful their view has become that it is important to protect the battery for all customers, and (thus) the long-term value of the car.

One peripheral thought - I don't know as much about some here seem to about some claimed tendency in general for Nissan to be cheap, but I wonder if it would be a good idea for Nissan to take some folks from their GT-R program (if they haven't already done) and put them on the Leaf and other EV programs. I say this because the GT-R appears to be (from what very little I know) a vehicle where the effort was made to build to world-class standards, and leave no qualitative make-or-break "Achilles' Heel" that might bring down the long-term customer satisfaction. Even if the price to the customer was extraordinarily high, the vehicle seems to be a good halo vehicle with (as far as I know) decent durability for a vehicle of its type, and it appears to have satisfied customers. I don't say that the Leaf should be a halo vehicle (it should be a mainstream decent-volume profit-maker), but I do think it would be a good idea for Nissan to move to address the two significant make-or-break issues they put in place with the Gen1 vehicle (range and degradation). As I say, maybe they have done this, I guess we'll see.

I'd also like to see them and other manufacturers of 200+ mile BEVs (Tesla, GM, Hyundai, Kia, Jaguar) put a higher price on things, if that's what they think they need to do to break even or make a profit.

SageBrush said:
jlsoaz said:
Well, care to elaborate? What am I not getting?
Only available during charging. It is meant to mitigate rapid-gate, not be a solution to degradation

Thanks for the response. It would be useful to have a link (I am not asking to make work for you, or out of doubt that this is correct), but assuming this is correct then yes, it would seem to show Nissan is continuing to take an approach of inching toward addressing the Achilles Heel they have left in place rather than just bolding getting on top of it.

I guess if they have built the hardware in to allow for some air conditioning of the battery during charging, maybe this could (with some programming?) also be used during driving?

I have not given air-conditioned battery cooling that much thought, but if I ask myself to envision an EV driving down the street with a hot battery and the battery-powered air-conditioning working extremely hard to cool the battery, then it is interesting IMO to ask how much energy does it use, what is the net impact on range during that drive.mileage, and what is the net impact on battery life.

jlsoaz said:
I guess if they have built the hardware in to allow for some air conditioning of the battery during charging, maybe this could (with some programming?) also be used during driving?
I'm sure they could but you would not care for the A/C performance in the passenger cabin, the fuel economy, or the car range.

Toyota actually does what you describe in the Prius Prime by pulling conditioned cabin air to the battery before it is exhausted outside. I owned that car for a year, and IIRC saw battery temps peak at ~ 40C in EV mode. There are also European EVs that use air cooling although I do not know technical details. For one reason or another though (BEV vs PHEV, long range Vs short range, climate, physics), an air cooled system is something of a hack and accelerated battery degradation is to be expected -- just not as crappy as a LEAF.

If you cannot find the Nissan system for their upcoming LEAF, search for the NV-200. I've read that it is the same kludge.

Back