Lothsahn
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Re: In the market for a used Leaf.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:21 pm

krush40 wrote: Plus having the longer range to start with kind of offsets the loss when compared to a 2015. The warranty claims you’ll have at least 70% capacity after 8/100,000. That would be a range of at least 75 miles in 2023. And if it doesn’t hold up, while being annoying, the warranty will “fix” it.

Or is that not a correct way to look at things?
I think it's a good way to look at it. The 30 and 40 kWh packs have a longer warranty than the 24, and the increased range makes them have to go further down before needing replacement. Cell failures would be warranty covered as well.

Personally, I'd buy a 30kWh over a 24 for exactly the reasons you state, price being equal. Also, if you DO decide to ever buy a replacement pack, Nissan will ONLY install the original capacity battery. If you have a 30 kWh, you'll get more capacity AND a longer warranty. Nissan currently charges the same price regardless of capacity for replacement packs... Making the 30 a much better deal.
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
Battery swap 2019/04/24 (87% SOH, 12 bar)

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:28 am

krush40 wrote:The warranty claims you’ll have at least 70% capacity after 8/100,000.
No,
the warranty in the 30 kWh battery models and later keeps your car above 8 capacity bars for the earlier of 8 years or 100k miles.
Last edited by SageBrush on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:38 am

^^^
Correct. The verbiage of the US warranty is strictly by bars. Whatever that maps to in terms of capacity, Nissan hasn't been really forthcoming, esp. on 30+ kWh Leafs.

OP can d/l the warranty booklet via https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/na ... nualsGuide to see for himself.

There was a mapping of capacity bars to approx remaining capacity in the '11 Leaf service manual. See http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/wiki/battery-d1/ under Battery Capacity Behavior. Unfortunately, it was removed from later service manuals and I don't know if it ever returned.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

krush40

Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:24 pm

cwerdna wrote:^^^
Correct. The verbiage of the US warranty is strictly by bars. Whatever that maps to in terms of capacity, Nissan hasn't been really forthcoming, esp. on 30+ kWh Leafs.

OP can d/l the warranty booklet via https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/na ... nualsGuide to see for himself.

There was a mapping of capacity bars to approx remaining capacity in the '11 Leaf service manual. See http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/wiki/battery-d1/ under Battery Capacity Behavior. Unfortunately, it was removed from later service manuals and I don't know if it ever returned.
I thought I had read somewhere that the 9-bar tipping point was around 70%, but am aware it’s not as black and white as with straight numbers.

BUT, I sold my car today so I am officially on the hunt. I thought I found my winner but it sold last night.

For those with SV vs SL: Do the LED headlights make a big enough impact on battery life to care? Or are they powered by the 12 volt?

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:13 pm

For those with SV vs SL: Do the LED headlights make a big enough impact on battery life to care? Or are they powered by the 12 volt?
They are 12 volt, with power coming through the pack, DC-DC converter, and then 12 volt battery. They do not significantly affect range. And the high beams are still the terrible halogen bulbs - same as the non-LED Leaf. Don't consider them a deal breaker either way.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:17 pm

krush40 wrote: I thought I had read somewhere that the 9-bar tipping point was around 70%, but am aware it’s not as black and white as with straight numbers.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13192 mentions 70 percent.

IIRC, there have been UK Leaf pages in the past that also referred to approx 70 percent, but the actual warranty booklet doesn't specify. Warranty booklet only talks about bars.

LED headlights are more efficient and they're powered by the 12 volt bus, but that comes from the big battery via DC to DC converter. The efficiency difference is negligible in terms of range impact. The problem is the halogen headlights suck. They're dim. I can tell you that firsthand from having gone from '13 SV w/both packages (which had LED headlights as part of the QC + LED headlights package) to a '13 w/premium only (no QC + LED headlights package).

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:22 pm

The problem is the halogen headlights suck. They're dim. I can tell you that firsthand from having gone from '13 SV w/both packages (which had LED headlights as part of the QC + LED headlights package) to a '13 w/premium only (no QC + LED headlights package).
Everything I've seen says that the "LED" option high beams are the same old halogens. I haven't had both like you, but for me the halogen low beams were just fine - it was the high beams only that sucked. The 2018 finally has good high beams.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:15 pm

For me, the '13 halogen low beams sucked and were a big step down from the '13 factory LED low beams. I don't think anything was changed or improved on this front for '13 to '17 model years.

'19 Bolt Premier

LeftieBiker

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:56 pm

cwerdna wrote:For me, the '13 halogen low beams sucked and were a big step down from the '13 factory LED low beams. I don't think anything was changed or improved on this front for '13 to '17 model years.
I wonder if this is the general consensus, with me being an exception, or if you got bad headlights...
BAFX OBDII Dongle

krush40

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:36 pm

Luckily I don’t drive a lot at night. Beyond just the idea of LED headlights, some of the other SL features might be nice as well.

There are lots of SVs around me, but not a lot of SLs. I keep going back and forth on which features I think I’ll care about and unfortunately can justify everything. lol

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”