Staque
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:11 am
Delivery Date: 24 Apr 2013
Location: Albany, NY

Re: LEAF Manager, alternative carwings app for android

Tue May 07, 2013 4:49 pm

Is the charging timer function part of the Leaf API, or does the app (or server) just send the regular "start charging" command at the specified time?

The question is basically if I set the remote timer to 4:00am in Leaf Manager, what has to be "up" at 4am? My phone? A server somewhere? Or does the car perform the timer function and the command is sent to the car, and the car starts charging at the right time on its own?

Staque
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:11 am
Delivery Date: 24 Apr 2013
Location: Albany, NY

Re: LEAF Manager, alternative carwings app for android

Sat May 11, 2013 9:42 am

Bonk? Anyone know? Gyathaar??

Scribbious
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:04 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2013

Re: LEAF Manager, alternative carwings app for android

Sun May 12, 2013 6:48 am

The car just needs to be plugged in. The command is sent when you set it and the car wakes up.

Staque wrote:Is the charging timer function part of the Leaf API, or does the app (or server) just send the regular "start charging" command at the specified time?

The question is basically if I set the remote timer to 4:00am in Leaf Manager, what has to be "up" at 4am? My phone? A server somewhere? Or does the car perform the timer function and the command is sent to the car, and the car starts charging at the right time on its own?

User avatar
lpickup
Posts: 1139
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:14 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16138
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact: Website

Re: LEAF Manager, alternative carwings app for android

Mon May 13, 2013 6:41 am

Scribbious wrote:The car just needs to be plugged in. The command is sent when you set it and the car wakes up.

Staque wrote:Is the charging timer function part of the Leaf API, or does the app (or server) just send the regular "start charging" command at the specified time?

The question is basically if I set the remote timer to 4:00am in Leaf Manager, what has to be "up" at 4am? My phone? A server somewhere? Or does the car perform the timer function and the command is sent to the car, and the car starts charging at the right time on its own?


This doesn't answer the question, and I too am looking for the answer.

You said "The command is sent". But what triggers the send? The app on the phone? Does the app register the timer with a server somewhere and the server sends the command to the car at the appropriate time (implying that the phone itself can be off). If the app on the phone is what actually triggers the command to be sent, does the app need to be actually running or is there an alarm of some kind on the phone that will cause this to fire?
...Lance

Deep Blue Metallic 2018 Tesla Model 3 (31849) (delivered: 7/13/18)
Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310) (bought: 12/23/16 sold: 7/5/18)
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138) (delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16)
NOGA$4ME Blog

Staque
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:11 am
Delivery Date: 24 Apr 2013
Location: Albany, NY

Re: LEAF Manager, alternative carwings app for android

Mon May 13, 2013 7:26 am

Yes, that's the gist of my question. I have used the feature and it works well, I just want to know what technology I'm relying on.

Scribbious
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:04 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2013

Re: LEAF Manager, alternative carwings app for android

Mon May 13, 2013 7:41 am

I didn't write the program but I'm pretty sure that the command is immediately sent via the Nissan Network to the car and the car holds it in memory and fires at the appropriate time just as it does with the daily timer. The same function is available via the stock Leaf app so presumably this one just uses the same API call to immediately send a 'start charging at (time)' command.

It would be a trivial matter to do a controlled test to see for yourself. It doesn't have to be at 4:00am.

Set it for an hour in the future, turn your phone off and see what happens.

gyathaar
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:41 am
Delivery Date: 17 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 009107

Re: LEAF Manager, alternative carwings app for android

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:05 am

Sorry I didnt see the question before.

The phone dont need to be on.

When you send the command in the app, it sends the call with the time to the carwings servers.
What happens further I dont really know.. but I assume one of the following:

1) the carwings server immediately contacts the car with the time to turn on
or
2) carwings servers waits until the specified time, and then sends the command to the car

The same applies when you set a time for when to start charging.

Staque
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:11 am
Delivery Date: 24 Apr 2013
Location: Albany, NY

Re: LEAF Manager, alternative carwings app for android

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks.

If I were to guess, I'd say the Nissan server holds the command, and sends it to the car at the specified time. I'm guessing that because if I send a remote command to immediately charge, I get a text message back that says "charging started." If I set the timer for 5AM, then I get the exact same text message at 5AM, so I'm assuming the car doesn't know the difference. Either way it gets a "charge now" message. When charging starts because of the in-car timer, I don't recall getting any kind of message.

But of course, I am guessing. :)

I like the feature, though, because I'm able to set a 24 hour timer to charge to 80%. Then, if I'm lying in bed and I decide I'm going to leave the house at 8:30AM, I just send a remote charge command to start at 6:30, since a 80%->100% charge takes about 2 hours. In this way, the car is always "ready enough" (80%) to go at any moment, but always at 100% in the morning for a full day of whatever comes. The once or twice a month that I've come home with less than 20%, I've really appreciated being able to do this.

venk25
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:45 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Jan 2013
Location: Southern NH

Re: LEAF Manager, alternative carwings app for android

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Staque wrote:I like the feature, though, because I'm able to set a 24 hour timer to charge to 80%. Then, if I'm lying in bed and I decide I'm going to leave the house at 8:30AM, I just send a remote charge command to start at 6:30, since a 80%->100% charge takes about 2 hours. In this way, the car is always "ready enough" (80%) to go at any moment, but always at 100% in the morning for a full day of whatever comes. The once or twice a month that I've come home with less than 20%, I've really appreciated being able to do this.

This is exactly what I do - 24 hours charge to 80% and set a charge timer via app the previous night to start charging 1.5 hours before departure time in the morning. Occasionally, I've forgotten to set charge timer the night before. Wish the app allows setup of recurring charge timers for every week-day ... :) gyathaar - can this go into the nice-to-have list?:)

wbp
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:04 am
Delivery Date: 09 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 324528

Re: LEAF Manager, alternative carwings app for android

Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:07 am

Really nice app, thanks!

If possible, could you change this app so that it does not report invalid username/password when the server is down? Hopefully you can detect this and report an appropriate message.

Thanks,
William

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”