Headlights... LEDs vs. Halogens

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EngravEER

Martinsburg, WV (approx. 75 miles west of Washingt
Asked this elsewhere without a response so figured I'd ask here...

Currently considering lease offers for a SV with Premium Package only. Have seen a post or two though encouraging folks to spend the extra $$$ and tack-on the LED/QC Package due to the brightness levels between the LED's and halogens. I'm in West Virginia... there won't be a DC Quick Charger coming to my neck of the woods anytime soon. But it does get awfully dark out here in the Blue Ridge, so "weak" headlights would be a concern.

I test drove a SV with the LED/QC Package back in March and the LEDs were nice (although it was dusk and not completely dark). Figured the halogens on the Premium Only Package would be a step down but not by much. Perhaps I'm wrong in that assumption.

Would love to hear feedback from current owners on the LED vs. halogens issue before deciding whether to spend the extra bucks.

If they are like the 2011/2012s, only the low beams are LED, so I don't think it is worth it without the need for a QC port.

EngravEER said:
Would love to hear feedback from current owners on the LED vs. halogens issue before deciding whether to spend the extra bucks.
I don't know how well the halogens work on the LEAF, but I really like the LED headlights on my 2011. Best headlights I've had on a car and far better than all my previous cars with halogens.

We're upgrading from a '12 to a '13 and made sure to get the LED/QC package, mostly for the LED headlights since there are no L3's anywhere nearby right now. Love 'em so much and didn't want to go back to halogen.

drees said:
...I really like the LED headlights on my 2011. Best headlights I've had on a car...
+1
I want LED headlights on my other car too, but can't find any drop-in replacements that are bright enough (most are meant for DRL only). The LEAF headlights seem to be custom.

Another happy LED owner. The cool thing about these is that you can adjust the height level on these headlights, so your dark
West Virginia locale would be perfect for these.

Spend the extra money. You won't regret it.

I suspect the performance of the halogens (at least the high beams on my 2012 SL) is rather poor due to being under-volted. * The color temp seems pretty orange-y.

Whether this is due to the DC-DC converter output or chintzy wiring I haven't looked too deeply since I won't be modifying this in my leased vehicle. But the output could probably be boosted considerably by either better wiring, or a voltage booster depending on what the underlying deficiency is. LEDs get around the problem because their output is current-dependent instead of voltage-dependent.

* - incandescent bulb output is very dependent on voltage. You can verify this by turning on one of the dome lights and then starting the car. You'll likely see a distinct brightening going from the battery's resting voltage to having the charging voltage applied.

lamplife.gif

The LED upgrade is worth it IMO. It's a safety device, and is one of the few things I refused to 'settle' on. If you plan on commuting in this car, you'll appreciate these lights, especially during the fall/winter mornings and nights.

Nubo said:
I suspect the performance of the halogens (at least the high beams on my 2012 SL) is rather poor due to being under-volted. * The color temp seems pretty orange-y.

Whether this is due to the DC-DC converter output or chintzy wiring I haven't looked too deeply since I won't be modifying this in my leased vehicle. But the output could probably be boosted considerably by either better wiring, or a voltage booster depending on what the underlying deficiency is. LEDs get around the problem because their output is current-dependent instead of voltage-dependent.

* - incandescent bulb output is very dependent on voltage. You can verify this by turning on one of the dome lights and then starting the car. You'll likely see a distinct brightening going from the battery's resting voltage to having the charging voltage applied.
This is very interesting, Nubo. Thanks!

I think it is clear that the issue is voltage from the DC/DC converter. Normal vehicles run their alternators at 14.4V. While the LEAF can also produce this voltage, it rarely does that and when it does, it quickly drops back to 13.1V where it normally runs.

So the question I have is this: Are the high beams in the 2011/2012 LEAF halogens or HID? If they are HID, then this does not apply and the power converter for the lamps will correct the voltage. But if they are halogens, then the voltage will make a difference in color. Of course, at 13.1V, the halogens should last forever!

If you care about low-beam color, then this could be a reason to choose the LEDs over Halogens for the 2013s.

Thanks again!

No, it is almost entirely due to dismal reflector design.

Nubo said:

If you go with the regular Halogen high and low beams, then you could replace the stock bulbs with high end Halogens, though they have a shorter lifetime and more expensive. Also, you could put in aftermarket 55w HID kits for the low and or high beams if you wish, with a lifetime warranty (DDMtuning), and the initial price isn't that much more than high end Halogens, though the housings won't properly distribute the light but may work well for you (but glare for others)

Question, can you adjust the headlight height if you have the Halogen lowbeam lights? Or only if you have LED low beams?

GeekEV said:
drees said:
...I really like the LED headlights on my 2011. Best headlights I've had on a car...
+1
+1 for me too. I love the low beam LED headlights. The level adjustment is interesting, have used it a few times.
The low beam LEDs power draw is very low. Power draw for them and the four non-LED 5 watt bulbs that are on when lights are on are <50 watts. As the US LEAF doesn't have daytime running lights, I run with the low beam LEDs on all the time. I need to change a lot of the other non-LEDs to LED.
Lots of details at these links:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2773#p62425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Post with replacement #s:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=135465#p135465" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I haven't tried out the 2013 halogen low beams.
But the H9 halogen high beams are dreadful.
Color is awful, possibly due to the LEAFs low voltage from the HV DC to nominal 12V DC.
But also the reflectors are poorly design.
No one has been very successful with a "good" replacement for the high beams.
Based on that, I'd be a little skeptical that there is a good low cost replacement for the halogen low beams on a 2013 LEAF.
Probably better to go with the LED/QC Package, although it is quite a bit of $ just to get LED low beams if you can't use the QC.

TomT said:
No, it is almost entirely due to dismal reflector design.

Nubo said:

I don't think the reflector design can account for the reduced color-temperature. That is a voltage phenomenon.

Whether or not the reflectors are dismal, they would probably benefit from more lumens.

RegGuheert said:
So the question I have is this: Are the high beams in the 2011/2012 LEAF halogens or HID? If they are HID, then this does not apply and the power converter for the lamps will correct the voltage. But if they are halogens, then the voltage will make a difference in color.

They are halogen (H9). Very good high-beam bulbs. But the color is an indication that they're undervolted and performing well below their rated output.

Nubo said:
RegGuheert said:
So the question I have is this: Are the high beams in the 2011/2012 LEAF halogens or HID? If they are HID, then this does not apply and the power converter for the lamps will correct the voltage. But if they are halogens, then the voltage will make a difference in color.
They are halogen (H9). Very good high-beam bulbs. But the color is an indication that they're undervolted and performing well below their rated output.
Quick test would be to see if you can tell the difference between when you first turn the car on (voltage will be 14V+) compared to after the car has been on a bit (voltage will be 13V). Could be that the bulbs are designed to run at 14V of your typical automobile...

Would also be interesting to see what the voltage at the bulbs is. Often the stock wiring can result in significant voltage drop at the light bulb.

My 2015 Leaf S headlights are too dim.
I am thinking I will benefit greatly from replacing the halogen bulbs with LED bulbs.
How much does it cost to replace the low beams?
Any website/ seller recommendations?

Thanks.

I looked at the headlight assembly and I don't think I will put in LED bulbs because it will blind the oncoming traffic.

I wonder if SL LED headlight assembly will be plug and play.

tesleaf said:
I looked at the headlight assembly and I don't think I will put in LED bulbs because it will blind the oncoming traffic.

I wonder if SL LED headlight assembly will be plug and play.

The first gen Leaf had LED low beams only - the high beams were halogen, and terrible. I don't know what the 2018 uses for high beams, but they are much better.

Back