2012 Nissan LEAF Tire Replacement Research

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoVAEV

2012 Nissan LEAF Tire Replacement Research: 8/24/13

Michelin Energy Saver A/S (Specs)
• New Tire Size: P205/60R16 91V SL Green X 480 A A 51 psi max (-21 lbs. 25.7" 810 US)
• Load Rating (Per Tire): 1356lbs
• Weight (Per Tire): 21lbs.
• $70 Rebate if purchased from an authorized dealer (08/22 thru 9/24/13).

Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 (Specs)
• 4” of tire shoulder and into tread worn at 10,200 miles (Tires will not pass state inspection)
• OEM Tire Size: 205/55/R16
• Load Rating (Per Tire): 1279lbs
• Weight (Per Tire): 20lbs.

Price Research:
• Costco - $686 with everything - $154 per tire after $70 rebate (Purchased: 08/24/13)
• Tires Plus - $615.00, - $154 per tire, Not a Michelin dealer so no rebate ($27 per tire to mount mine own).
• TireRack - $528 w/shipping + rebate = $458 or $142 per tire
• Virginia Tire and Auto - $986.00 for set of 4 <- Funny
• NTB - $748.00 with everything - $187 per tire after rebate ($35 per tire to mount mine own).

Roll resistance tests from Consumer Reports: “These tires scored Excellent for rolling resistance in our tests while achieving a Good or Better overall score.”
Performance all-season (H speed rated)
• Michelin Primacy MXV4
• Dunlop SP Sport 7000 A/S
• Bridgestone Ecopia EP422
Performance all-season (V speed rated)
• Bridgestone Ecopia EP422
Winter
• Michelin X-Ice Xi3

Good Rating – (Reviews from single forum readers)
• Firestone Affinity Touring
• Continental ECOpro Sport

Chevy Volt OEM Tire:
• Goodyear Fuel Max (Owners seem to have had some problems with sidewall bubbles)

Quick review/search performed:
• Bridgestone Turanza (Web reviewers/forum readers say they’re no good!)
• Michelin Defenders (Expensive and forum users say there is a noticeable drop in range)
• Michelin Primacy MXV4 (User replaced Ecopia with this tire.) (Drop in range)
• Toyo NanoEnergy2 (No research performed)
• Pirelli Cinturato P7 (No research performed)
• Goodyear Efficient Grip (No research performed)
• Continental ProContact with Ecoplus (No research performed)
• Goodyear TripleTred (Owners seem to have had problems with out-of-round tires)
• Goodyear Fuel Max (Owners seem to have had problems with out-of-round tires)

I was able to make a decision on the Michelin Energy Saver A/S relatively quickly based on the information I found in this forum and elsewhere on the net. Seem like it’s the best all around tire for the LEAF and I need to get the Ecopia’s off the car ASAP.

I don't recommend the Goodyear Assurance Touring tires. I have two on my Leaf. I had a flat, and it was the only tires that Sam's Club had in stock at the time. I should have shopped around further, but was stuck without a spare. The tires seem to have good wear, but they are loud and vibrate the front end at 50+mph. I thought the vibration was something else, but I can see that the two remaining Ecopia tires are quite a bit quieter, now that they have been rotated to the front.

One tire I don't see in your list is the Kumho Ecowing KH30. I replaced my Ecopias with them at about 27K miles and have been very happy so far (after putting 8K miles on them). Average efficiency only dropped .1 m/kWh (from 4.4 to 4.3) and they are quiet, grippy, and seem to be wearing well after one rotation. On sale ($100 rebate card), they were $467 at Discount Tire for all 4 w/ tax, mounted and balanced w/ TPMS rebuild kits (and free rotation, balancing, and repairs for the life of the tire).

TT

Two good tires added to the list and thank you for the additions!

I had the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires (205/60/R16) installed yesterday and all I can say is WOW, what a huge difference they've made! Road noise is greatly reduced and the overall ride, steering and stability of the car has improved greatly. I'll update if anything changes but one day in and I'm very pleased.

NoVAEV said:
Two good tires added to the list and thank you for the additions!

I had the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires (205/60/R16) installed yesterday and all I can say is WOW, what a huge difference they've made! Road noise is greatly reduced and the overall ride, steering and stability of the car has improved greatly. I'll update if anything changes but one day in and I'm very pleased.

These came on my 2013 LEAF SL, in size 215/50 R 17, V rated. I'm very happy with the combination of handling, steering feel and economy afer 2,400 miles.

I've been satisfied with the Ecopias, especially since I increased the tire pressure form ~43 to ~48 PSI.

As that may indicate, I am primarily interested in getting the maximum efficiency tires available, to replace them.

Anyone know of any options that might give better efficiency than the Ecopias?

Only if you don't want them to do any of the things that are expected of decent tires... :lol:
Look at CR's report: The Ecopias were dead last in every category except rolling resistance!

edatoakrun said:
Anyone know of any options that might give better efficiency than the Ecopias?

I have a new leaf with ecopias. I've put 3500 miles on them and they have been good so far. About what mileage can I expect to begin seeing problems?

johnrhansen said:
I have a new leaf with ecopias. I've put 3500 miles on them and they have been good so far. About what mileage can I expect to begin seeing problems?

If you drive mostly on the freeway, apparently At about 90,000 miles...

TaylorSFGuy said:
I wouldn't say they are all bad - my set getting changed out at 90K miles - just in time for the fall rain. Pretty much all freeway driving and not aggressive. Might move to a set of Michelins though.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4370&start=80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michelin Energy Saver A/S - Update!

I have just over 1,200 miles on the Michelins at this point and again, all I can say is WOW! We had a 3 day rainy spell last month here in VA where I had a chance to really push the tires to see what they could do in the rain. Wet performance, resistance to hydroplaning and overall dry traction with the A/S' is impressive. Granted the Michelin's are new, I'm accounting for how the Ecopia's performed when new in my layman's evaluation. It's also important to note that a few days after installing the Michelin's I increased the tire pressure to 50psi across the board which in theory should have hurt the wet performance but it doesn't seem to have affected it at all. I really do love my new Michelin's and I'm glad I made the change.

Actually, since hydroplaning speed goes up by roughly the square of the inflation pressure, I'd expect an improvement in the wet... I'd not recommend going over the maximum cold pressure on the tire sidewall, however...

NoVAEV said:
It's also important to note that a few days after installing the Michelin's I increased the tire pressure to 50psi across the board which in theory should have hurt the wet performance but it doesn't seem to have affected it at all. I really do love my new Michelin's and I'm glad I made the change.

Sorry to bump this thread, but the last thing we need is another tire thread.

Quick question: Anyone here with the Michelin MXV4 have anything to report on winter weather performance?

I'm debating whether I should dump money into a set of snow tires or just buy these and be done with it.

There are 18000 miles on my LEAF now. The ECOPIAs on front were rotated to the rear around 17500. The tread on those tires as been erased from about 2 inches in from each sidewall. It was recommended at that time that the car be aligned, which I had done a couple of weeks after the tires were rotated.

I have increased the tire pressure to improve energy efficiency in addition to using more of the center tread but I will have to replace them very soon. I plan to replace the two worn tires in March when it is time to rotate the tires again.

I am not convinced that the ECOPIAs are the best ones to get for replacements. So I am trying to determine what to buy when the time comes. I don't want to over spend but I don't want to replace the tires again before my 4 year lease is up.

Does anyone have experience with the Michelin Energy Saver tire mentioned earlier in this thread? Or have any other good, relatively inexpensive, options?

Put GY Triple Tread on my 2011. Great tires except for the efficiency penalty.
But anything will hurt compared to the baloney skins I took off.
Hoping these tires will help slide inside the 60/60 battery warranty.

I can't comment on snow or ice, but the MXV4s are great in the rain - far better than the Ecrapias...

kubel said:
Quick question: Anyone here with the Michelin MXV4 have anything to report on winter weather performance?

Nothing short of studs works on ice. I would think that good performance in rain would translate to better than summer treads in snow. I always used all season radials on my ICE cars until Mrs wanted snow tires a few years ago. I live in Georgia now so no need for snows.

How are those MXV4s as far as energy eficiency is concerned?

I made it 37000 miles on my ecopias. The rear ones are ok but the front tires are bald on the outside 2 inches. I guess I will go with the energy tires. I drive pretty agressive when cornering and when I'm off the freeway in general so I think I made it pretty far. I like to accelerate quickly as well which has definitely left a lot of tire on the road.

Anyone have an idea how many miles the energy tires will last?

EVDrive said:
I made it 37000 miles on my ecopias. The rear ones are ok but the front tires are bald on the outside 2 inches. I guess I will go with the energy tires. I drive pretty agressive when cornering and when I'm off the freeway in general so I think I made it pretty far. I like to accelerate quickly as well which has definitely left a lot of tire on the road.

Just curious how many times you rotated them in that time?

braebyrn said:
EVDrive said:

Just curious how many times you rotated them in that time?
I rotated mine twice and they went 41,000. Probably could have gone 45,000 if it was dry season. After many reports of shoulder wear and economy I ran max pressure starting at maybe 7500 miles. I tend to be poky around corners.

Back