The New Tire Replacement Post

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wennfred

Well guys, it's time for some new shoes as these Stock Ecopia tires are worn, especially around the edges, could be that the Original owner had them under inflated.

I've looked all over the Internet, read many reviews on Tire Rack and elsewhere that my head is spinning. The List below came from Consumer Report best test LRR tires.

Like to hear from you guys which route you went with and did you notice an increase or decrease in MPGe.

Please List:
1. Tire Name
2. +/- MPGe
3. Any Comments on your selection.

All-season (T speed rated)
Michelin Energy Saver A/S
Cooper GFE

Performance all-season (H speed rated)
Michelin Primacy MXV4
Dunlop SP Sport 7000 A/S
Bridgestone Ecopia EP422

Performance all-season (V speed rated)
Bridgestone Ecopia EP422

*Nokian enTyre not listed but are pioneers in LRR.
I would like to go with Nokians EnTyres but these are special order.

Fred, San Diego, CA

Every time I have read about changing the tires, the new tires decrease the range of the car by varying amounts.

Will any of these tires actually increase range ?

KJD said:
Every time I have read about changing the tires, the new tires decrease the range of the car by varying amounts.

You might get lucky and have the same range with another LRR tire, but I wouldn't expect more.

LeftieBiker said:
KJD said:

You might get lucky and have the same range with another LRR tire, but I wouldn't expect more.

Lots of reviews on these tires but most reviews and esp consumer reports have been paid off to fix their reviews, can't trust these companies any more. Besides hardly any good reviews from Leaf owners out there,

I might just go with the Nokians since they wrote the book on LRR tires years ago.

Perhaps pertinent to range and new tires - have folks who have purchased new tires had their odometers recalibrated? If so, how?

For example, the stock Ecopias (on a 2011) are supposedly 837 revolutions per mile. I'm hoping to get a set of the Michelin Energy Saver A/S P205/60R16 91V SL Green X as replacements, assuming my local Discount Tire can order those (they don't show on their website, but do show on tirerack.com).

If my thinking is right, that tire change with no odometer modification would result in underreporting of distance/speed (and therefore efficiency), no?

I'm not too concerned, mainly curious.

I'm definitely interested in whether anyone has procured the Energy Saver in P205/60R16 from Discount specifically...?

I replaced the original tires at 93K miles with Michelin MXM4. I drove with them for 500 miles and exchanged them for the Ecopia tires under the Costco Customer Satisfaction Program.

As soon as I put the Michelins on, I could feel the car trying to overcome the tires.

My experience with both: Same route - 49.4 miles. With Michelins I started with 182 GIDS. At the end, I had 13. With the new Ecopias I started with 183 GIDS and ended with 30. Similar driving conditions for both with less truck following on the Ecopia tires.

Pressures up at 40 on both types.

TaylorSFGuy said:
I replaced the original tires at 93K miles with Michelin MXM4. I drove with them for 500 miles and exchanged them for the Ecopia tires under the Costco Customer Satisfaction Program.
The MXM4s take at least 1000 miles to break in, probably longer with your driving.

Some of the replacement Ecopias seem better than the OEM models. OEM tires are usually cheap downgrades like the energy saver AS.

Yep. I have about 25,000 miles on my MXV4s now and my efficiency is within a tenth of what it was on the Ecopias at 15,000... The difference is down in the noise, really; about 2 percent...

pchilds said:
TaylorSFGuy said:
The MXM4s take at least 1000 miles to break in, probably longer with your driving.

Do you have a tire efficiency report for the same trip on your factory Ecopias?

I'm trying to decide how long to hold onto mine.

Only 22+k miles, but most all very hard mountain roads, which has worn the shoulders significantly.

TaylorSFGuy said:

As soon as I put the Michelins on, I could feel the car trying to overcome the tires.

My experience with both: Same route - 49.4 miles. With Michelins I started with 182 GIDS. At the end, I had 13. With the new Ecopias I started with 183 GIDS and ended with 30. Similar driving conditions for both with less truck following on the Ecopia tires.

Nubo said:
TaylorSFGuy said:
I replaced the original tires at 93K miles...

9 3 , :eek: :eek: :eek: !?

You, sir, are gentle on tires!

Honda and Pontiac before it over 100K every time (both of these cars went over 300K each).

We are getting to rainy season and I wanted some good rubber on the wheels if the weather turned cold. All my driving is on the freeway. My Sons would say I drive in a conservative style.

To me the Michelin MXM4 impacted my range more than 15% and closer to 20% below the factory tires. I couldn't wait for them to smooth out over 1000 or more miles. I didn't order the MXV4 because others have said the loss was around 10%. I was prepared to walk away from the Michelins and pay for the Ecopias if Costco wouldn't have done the exchange.

These new Ecopias may be better than the older ones for efficiency.

OK so I will be buying Goodyear replacements. (don't bother with other brands for me)

I am choosing mostly between Assurance Fuel Max and the Triple Tread. Price is close enough to call it the same. Fuel Max has less tread wear warranty.

I think I would like the Triple Tread better for handling but Fuel Max I assume would be slightly better on range.

Any thoughts?

TaylorSFGuy said:
To me the Michelin MXM4 impacted my range more than 15% and closer to 20% below the factory tires. I couldn't wait for them to smooth out over 1000 or more miles. I didn't order the MXV4 because others have said the loss was around 10%.
Interesting, because the MXV4 should be better than the MXM4 in terms of efficiency.

TaylorSFGuy said:
These new Ecopias may be better than the older ones for efficiency.
Wow - so not only did you not suffer from any "new tire range hit", but they are doing better than your stock tires? Nice!

smkettner said:
I am choosing mostly between Assurance Fuel Max and the Triple Tread. Price is close enough to call it the same. Fuel Max has less tread wear warranty.

I think I would like the Triple Tread better for handling but Fuel Max I assume would be slightly better on range.
On my Prius the Fuel Max are similar to the OEM tires in efficiency, so they're pretty good. But I did have some issues with two tires being out of round and now two of them have scalloped a bit making them very noisy. Don't think it's an alignment issue as I got 40k out of the stock Prius tires with pretty even wear and took the car in for an alignment and it checked out. The issues I had with them make me hesitate to use/recommend Good Year tires again. Don't have any experience with the Triple Tread, but IIRC on Prius Chat people noted a hit in efficiency with them compared to the Fuel Max.

Went to my local discount tires to order the Nokian enTyres but their distributor on the East coast was closed on a Thursday. Waiting for a call if nothing by Tuesday I will get them online somewhere else.

Fred

Lots of good info over on the Golf TDI forum on the Nokian Entyres, I ordered a set of 4 online with "Tires by Web" hope to have them installed by Friday. Stock size 205-55-R16. Stats to follow...

Currently my stock rear Ecopias are worn on the edges and the fronts are fine. The car came like that when I got it back in August. My commute from home to work and back, roughly 40 miles at 60 MPH averages me 4.2KWH on the dash and 4.6KWH on the Carwings display, so this is the bench mark I set with these old tires. Current PSI for those wondering is set at 44PSI.

Fred

TaylorSFGuy said:
Thanks for the data on the tire comparison. I may do the same thing when my originals wear out.

When you have the time would post your current stats in the Battery Aging Model thread ?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back