Power Inverter and Space Heater in Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcfranson

Has anyone used a power inverter inside the Leaf's cabin to power a small space heater? It's cold here in Chicago area in the Winter and I was looking for a way to heat the inside of the Leaf without using the cars heater. A power inverter running off the 12vdc battery might use less energy.

A couple people have reported using 12V heaters while operating the car, but not purely off the small 12V battery while the car is off. Caution: Regardless of the charge state of the traction battery, running down the 12V battery will disable the car and require a jump or recharge to get going again. I don't recall precisely, but I believe this was of greater interest for MY2011 cars where vehicle heater control was more limited.

I'd love to find a 12V radiant heater to stick above my shins. I can run 'no heat' in the cabin with heated seats and steering wheel, but my shins/feet get cold.

Harbor Freight carries a small 400 watt 12 volt heater, and it even has a good review from a Leaf owner. But he uses a solar power/storage setup to run it. There is no more efficient way to heat the car from its own power than using the heat pump, if present. The 12 volt battery is far too small for the job. A bigger accessory battery might run that or a similar heater, but resistance heat sucks juice.

LeftieBiker said:
Harbor Freight carries a small 400 watt 12 volt heater, and it even has a good review from a Leaf owner. But he uses a solar power/storage setup to run it. There is no more efficient way to heat the car from its own power than using the heat pump, if present. The 12 volt battery is far too small for the job. A bigger accessory battery might run that or a similar heater, but resistance heat sucks juice.

yes, but small (couple hundred watts) directed at the driver is better than trying to heat the whole interior of the car. Even better than heating air would be radiant...

lcfranson said:
A power inverter running off the 12vdc battery might use less energy.
Same energy. Unless inverter is located in the front compartment you will lose 10% due to inverter heat losses.

If your LEAF has the heat pump (SV & SL) the resistance heat will always be less efficient.

Resistance heater is always 100% efficient.

Besides you will get about 1000w max from the inverter where you will get up to 4500w out of the LEAF system. Or just run the LEAF at lower power to save energy. Inverter will never create someting for nothing.

I have a 12 volt electric lap blanket. Not sure of it's draw, but not maybe not too much. It warms the legs and lap very nicely. This type of a warming device might work for you.

Haven't had the need to use it in the Leaf, but the wife liked it in the VW diesel Passat, which is pretty much garaged in the winter as we use it only for long trips.

essaunders said:
LeftieBiker said:

yes, but small (couple hundred watts) directed at the driver is better than trying to heat the whole interior of the car. Even better than heating air would be radiant...

The heat from one of those heaters isn't really "directed at the driver." It is in fact trying to heat the whole cabin along with the driver. But hey, feel free to try it! When the experiment fails, get a 12 volt throw blanket.

http://www.duracellpower.com/backup-power/uninterrupted-power/powersource-1800.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was thinking of getting this and using it with a heater. Maybe 750 watt, maybe 400 watt.

LeftieBiker said:
essaunders said:
LeftieBiker said:

The heat from one of those heaters isn't really "directed at the driver." It is in fact trying to heat the whole cabin along with the driver. But hey, feel free to try it! When the experiment fails, get a 12 volt throw blanket.

The 12 volt DC lap throw will draw about 7 amps.

What amount of time would it be safe to use this in the Leaf without the 12 volt battery being in trouble?

(Perhaps the 12 volt battery is resupplied by the traction battery in the '13 SV and SL models?)

essaunders said:
I'd love to find a 12V radiant heater to stick above my shins. I can run 'no heat' in the cabin with heated seats and steering wheel, but my shins/feet get cold.

So, after doing a search on here about cold feet/legs/shins, a board member posted that if you hit the mode button so it blows out the upper vents, your feet/legs/shins won't be cold anymore. It works! No more cold legs!

braebyrn said:
So, after doing a search on here about cold feet/legs/shins, a board member posted that if you hit the mode button so it blows out the upper vents, your feet/legs/shins won't be cold anymore. It works! No more cold legs!
That doesn't sound right... Blow hot air into your face, and your shins won't be cold anymore?

I've seen people use 75W infrared heat bulbs (like ones used for reptiles cages) which take up very little power, and the spot heating works very well.

I think the advice above was meant simply to keep cold air from blowing on the legs and feet when the ventilation system was on but the heater off. Speaking as someone with terrible circulation, I have to have heat. I can ration it a bit, but can't just drive without it. I'm going to try the heated blanket option myself, but only as a way to lower the temp setting to 72F. ;-(

charge said:
http://www.duracellpower.com/backup-power/uninterrupted-power/powersource-1800.aspx

I was thinking of getting this and using it with a heater. Maybe 750 watt, maybe 400 watt.

I would be afraid of it going airborne and striking a passenger in case of an accident and wouldn't want to haul around 60 pounds for, primarily, just a heater.

My local Costco sells this product for $16.99. It's designed to be sat on, but works well in the LEAF on my lap.

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/outdoor/camping/airbeds+-+cots+-+furniture/300998_3136603.do

braebyrn said:
essaunders said:

Right, essaunders said he can run 'no heat' in the cabin with the heated seats............ but his shins/feet get cold. Not with the heat on I'm talking about.
Some of us drive our Leafs to the extreme limits of the battery capacity each day and by limiting the power depleting heating strips coming on, we can drive a little more in comfort without the cold air blowing from outside onto our legs. It works this way in my 2012 anyway.

However, I am going to look into the heat pump system on the 2013 and see if it runs on 12 volts or another power source. I live in a mild climate. The lowest temp this year was like 19F. But thats not too common. So I think a mini heat pump would be good here.

However, I am going to look into the heat pump system on the 2013 and see if it runs on 12 volts or another power source. I live in a mild climate. The lowest temp this year was like 19F. But thats not too common. So I think a mini heat pump would be good here.

IIRC I saw a Leaf heat pump assembly on Ebay for about $300.

energy is energy you are burning it no matter what, you are just wasting more by going through yet another inverter, turn the fan way down and it will draw 1.5kw once the cab is near temp, no half assed inverter/heater combos bouncing around inside!.

12v heater sare near useles in any real cold, unless deicing the windshield, even then mediocre at best.

get a 50w heater blanket and use the heated seats.

greengate said:
I have a 12 volt electric lap blanket. Not sure of it's draw, but not maybe not too much. It warms the legs and lap very nicely. This type of a warming device might work for you.

I was thinking about getting one of these, but don't know how much it will deplete the range as compared to running the heater. Anyone have any guesses?

Back