Publius
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 025447

Am I wrong to be angry?

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:47 pm

I have a question about charge cord etiquette and workplace charging. I agreed to teach a few classes this semester at a college that requires a 70-mile round-trip commute (note my location: it was -12 one morning a couple weeks ago). I knew that it would be difficult, but I only plan on making this a regular thing. Before the semester started I asked if I would be allowed to use an outlet on campus until the weather warmed up. I was told that there aren't any outside outlets. However, in a moment of desperation (on a day when my typical fallback location was iced) I walked around campus and found a 20 amp outlet on a large paved surface near a courtyard. Perfect. I received permission before trying to use the outlet. I offered to pay for electric and provided my phone number in case of a problem. Security was notified that this was to be a recurring thing. Everything seemed good, although I knew that it may not last when the right-- or wrong-- people got wind of it. Fast forward a few days to today, I received a visit from security around Noon informing me that I would not be allowed to charge on campus anymore. The officer was nice about it and said I did not have to move my car today. Fair enough. However, when I went out to my car I found that it had been unplugged while charging (from the outlet, not the car) and the cord was sitting in a snowbank next to the outlet. There was also a lock on the outlet, as if I was trying to steal something. My phone tells me that the car was unplugged this morning, so I didn't get much charge and barely made it home. When I stop at charge stations en route I leave early to charge in the AM because I have to be home in the afternoon for my daughter. Am I wrong to be angry that my car was unplugged without calling me and that my cord was left sitting in the snow?
2015 Pacific Blue e-Golf SEL
Former 2012 Cayenne Red LEAF SL
Member of the 100 Mile Club

desiv
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 018850

Re: Am I wrong to be angry?

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:56 pm

Publius wrote:Am I wrong to be angry that my car was unplugged without calling me and that my cord was left sitting in the snow?

You're not wrong to be angry / frustrated.
Whoever did that should have called or at least left a note, but as for who to be angry at??
It wouldn't surprise me if you aren't allowed anymore because someone complained, and that it might have been that same someone who unplugged you... Or they might have been the ones who pressured security to unplug you if they did..

I'd look for someone driving a really big pickup truck.. ;-) :-) Kidding about that.. (although..)

Someone probably assumed you were taking the electricity that "they" pay for...
Probably wouldn't even matter to them that you offered to pay..

People..

;-)

Just don't be too frustrated / angry.. Not worth it in the long run..

desiv
2012 Leaf SL - Silver (gone - traded in)
2017 Bolt LT - Red

Publius

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:01 pm

desiv wrote:
Publius wrote:Am I wrong to be angry that my car was unplugged without calling me and that my cord was left sitting in the snow?

You're not wrong to be angry / frustrated.
Whoever did that should have called or at least left a note, but as for who to be angry at??
It wouldn't surprise me if you aren't allowed anymore because someone complained, and that it might have been that same someone who unplugged you... Or they might have been the ones who pressured security to unplug you if they did..

I'd look for someone driving a really big pickup truck.. ;-) :-) Kidding about that.. (although..)

Someone probably assumed you were taking the electricity that "they" pay for...
Probably wouldn't even matter to them that you offered to pay..

People..

;-)

Just don't be too frustrated / angry.. Not worth it in the long run..

desiv

Thanks, it is a rural college with a lot of big trucks... ;-)

davewill

Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:22 pm

No, you're not, but there's also not much point to it. Yes, the one who unplugged you on the spot was being a jerk, but he probably doesn't know just how much of a jerk he was.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

jpadc
Delivery Date: 20 Dec 2014

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:54 pm

Okay I have to ask what college campus (I'll stereotype too), especially in NY, would be so unfriendly to EVs? Most college campuses raced to get charging stations and special parking on their campus to promote hybrid and electric vehicles. If you note my location at least one (some might argue both) of them is not in a "blue" state. I'm just a bit surprised by such an attitude on a college campus.
2013 Leaf S /w Charge Package - Purchased new in Iowa City Dec. 2014
My previous car was a 2008 Prius Touring Package 5 - 73k Miles, 43 MPG lifetime

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:14 pm

New York, while often viewed by people in other states as a "Blue" state, is actually "Purple", with more conservative folks occupying most of the land area, and the Liberals concentrated in a few large cities. Even SUNY Albany installed exactly one charging station, and then blocked it for outside use for months. SUNY Cobleskil (sp?) could be dropped right into Kansas and would fit nicely.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Turnover
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 410371

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:30 pm

I have done several hundred hours of volunteer trail work at a nearby state park. Occasionally, my wife and I had been going up and picking up trash in the park for a couple of hours at a time while plugged in to one of the seldom used RV 14-50 outlets leaving a sign that it is okay to unplug. I recently introduced myself to the new ranger at a trail volunteer recognition function. He said the outlets were for RV's only and that I was never again to use one. Pretty much a letter of the law man.

I am a spirit of the law type. He can pick up his own trash. ;)

You might see the person who signed off on your contract with the college and see if you can get an addition or amendment to it allowing you to use an outlet. Its my understanding that community colleges have a need for competent part time instructors and you have some clout here.
2012 SL:
03/30/16 43,300 mi - 383 QC's & 2467 L1/L2's 79% SOH
2013 SV (#410371) - Purchased 4/25/2016:
4/28/16 18,115 mi- 4 QC's & 705 L1/L2's 97% SOH
2/18/17 28,756 mi- 66.17 AHr, SOH 100%, Hx 101.45% 284 GiDs

Publius

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:14 pm

jpadc wrote:Okay I have to ask what college campus (I'll stereotype too), especially in NY, would be so unfriendly to EVs? Most college campuses raced to get charging stations and special parking on their campus to promote hybrid and electric vehicles. If you note my location at least one (some might argue both) of them is not in a "blue" state. I'm just a bit surprised by such an attitude on a college campus.

The rural communities of Upstate NY are often quite conservative. Let's just say that the college is in one of those areas. My car is also the first EV on the campus-- they may have a couple hybrids, though (and I'm not talking about the Volt). However, it's not just rural colleges that have failed to embrace EVs, few in my area have. Upstate NY might as well be on a different planet than NYC.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:26 pm

I think you should have talked to your boss as soon as security brought up the issue.
Just explain the job is not going to work out as well as you thought.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

johnrhansen
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409445

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:41 pm

I think the person who unplugged you was probably the same person who complained to security about it.
2013 S model with quick charge package.
AV 30 amp level 2 EVSE, Bosch PowerMax 30 Amp EVSE, EVSE upgraded EVSE.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”