UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Proper EV Etiquette - Charging/Parking

Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:43 pm

Please remember that if you use a Charging Spot for your Electric Car to move it once you are done charging.

This is to make sure other EV Drivers can charge too.

Remember, Good Charging Etiquette starts with you!

Share you experiences and thoughts about Proper EV Etiquette at the following Facebook forum http://www.EV-Etiquette.com/
(if you don't belong to FaceBook then you can share below)

If you don't want to contribute or have no desire to make the world a better place for your fellow EV drivers then your car may be listed on the http://www.EV-HOLE.com Website! LOL :lol: :D

#UBUYGAS #NissanLEAF #TeslaMotors #TeslaModelS #ChevyVOLT #PriusPIP #evEtiquette #EVHOLE

Last edited by UBUYGAS on Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do you know the EV RULES?

Learn them today by clicking here: http://EV-RULES.com

garsh
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2012

Re: Proper EV Charging Etiquette

Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:04 am

The fact that we have a "charging etiquette" that requires people to move a car at their inconvenience will be a strong reason why EV's don't become mainstream. I understand the need for it now when demand for charging stations is higher than supply, but it really is going to hurt adoption.
2012 Black SV w. G35 wheels, 8 bars, 86,000 miles

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:54 am

garsh wrote:The fact that we have a "charging etiquette" that requires people to move a car at their inconvenience will be a strong reason why EV's don't become mainstream. I understand the need for it now when demand for charging stations is higher than supply, but it really is going to hurt adoption.
Not necessarily. As the range of EVs increases, the need for routine opportunity charging should decrease, making congestion at local L2 charge stations moot. This could be a problem that goes away in a few years.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

desiv
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 018850

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:04 am

garsh wrote:The fact that we have a "charging etiquette" that requires people to move a car at their inconvenience will be a strong reason why EV's don't become mainstream..

I don't think it "requires" people to move their car. ;-)
1: It's asking people to move their cars, not requiring it.. That's the thing about etiquette.
It's ICE driver etiquette not to stay in the mini-mart too long after your fill is done (if you're "shopping in the mini-mart", you park). Especially in the smaller stations. And most people do that. But not always.
Sometimes you see a car all full, but the driver nowhere to be seen. Infrequently, I've been behind that person in line. Now, with the number of gas stations and pumps, it's less of an issue than with EVs, but it's still proper etiquette.
2: It's not always that clear cut. For instance, if it's a charging spot where you can plug in from more than one spot, a placard saying "when I'm done, you can unplug me" is also sufficient. (or just the understanding that you will be unplugged if done)

Although I'm not sure any of it really matters..
Fact is, we really don't need reminders for charging etiquette tho..
People who are thoughtful will just do that..
People who aren't, won't.
Posting pics is fun, but it's not going to change anyone's behavior.

I don't understand why anyone would ever think proper etiquette in any situation is a bad thing, but that's me.. ;-)
(Note: that doesn't mean I "always" use proper etiquette.. But I still think it's a good thing.. :-) )

desiv
2012 Leaf SL - Silver (gone - traded in)
2017 Bolt LT - Red

garsh
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2012

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:45 pm

desiv wrote:
garsh wrote:The fact that we have a "charging etiquette" that requires people to move a car at their inconvenience will be a strong reason why EV's don't become mainstream..

I don't think it "requires" people to move their car. ;-)
1: It's asking people to move their cars, not requiring it.. That's the thing about etiquette.
Exactly. In order to follow the etiquette, you are required to move your vehicle to free up a charging space. I don't understand why you're trying to be contrary when you obviously understand & agree.

That's a hard thing to do when you're at work & busy. It requires you to take time out of your work to go to the parking garage, move your car, and hope you can find another parking space. it can be a pain if it's a full lot/garage. It's certainly the proper thing to do while charging stations are scarce, but most people aren't going to want to put up with that hassle every day.
2012 Black SV w. G35 wheels, 8 bars, 86,000 miles

desiv
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 018850

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:54 pm

garsh wrote: In order to follow the etiquette, you are required to move your vehicle to free up a charging space. I don't understand why you're trying to be contrary when you obviously understand & agree..

I said specifically you are NOT required to follow it.
Not sure why you don't understand that.. I was very specific that it's NOT required. ;-)

I also don't think it's matters...
Etiquette isn't something that you can require, and is just how people will behave.

Long gone are the days that people feel they "have" to follow etiquette.

desiv
2012 Leaf SL - Silver (gone - traded in)
2017 Bolt LT - Red

UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:40 pm

Do you know the EV RULES?

Learn them today by clicking here: http://EV-RULES.com

latitude500

Re: Proper EV Etiquette - Charging/Parking

Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:45 am

Would it be a smart idea to keep your charging port open to tell other people that you need them to charge your car next. Here in Austin TX we have unlimited charging for $5.00 a month. I was at a charging station that had two chargers and I was only using one. But when I was about to leave I noticed that they had a Nissan Leaf with the charging port open. I just turned on the charger again with the phone APP and plugged them in. I noticed on Carwing, they charged for 30 minutes or so and then unplugged the car.

I'm sure this wouldn't work if we had to pay for other peoples charging, but it's an idea.
Michael
Central Texas
Purchased 9.1.2015
White, 2013 LEAF SV
20,591miles
1 bar down 11 to go.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:06 pm

I believe that signs like this are totally and completely counterproductive... All they do is piss off people and make them more likely to do exactly the same thing next time...

Lasareath wrote:Image
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier. Model 3 configured.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: Proper EV Etiquette - Charging/Parking

Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:44 pm

I think the Golden Rule pretty much covers it. As an EV owner I appreciate it when people move in a timely manner so I can have a charging space. Why wouldn't I try to provide the same courtesy? Obviously not always possible in every situation as any reasonable person understands.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”