UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Re: Proper EV Charging Etiquette

Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:27 am

Tom,

The only person this would piss off is the #EVHOLE, And who cares if that pisses them off. They are the A$$es in this situation, The People who move their EV after they are done charging would never be labelled an #EVHOLE.

Have You registered for FaceBook Yet?

If you have then come on over and Join the other 263 people who have signed up: http://www.evhole.com/

Sal
aka Lasareath
aka #UBUYGAS

TomT wrote:I believe that signs like this are totally and completely counterproductive... All they do is piss off people and make them more likely to do exactly the same thing next time...

Lasareath wrote:Image
Do you know the EV RULES?

Learn them today by clicking here: http://EV-RULES.com

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:19 am

Lasareath wrote:The only person this would piss off is the #EVHOLE, And who cares if that pisses them off.

If your goal is to change their behavior, then this is not a good approach.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

kaikara
Delivery Date: 24 Oct 2013

Re: Proper EV Etiquette - Charging/Parking

Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:45 am

With a quickcharger I can understand being right near there to move the car. With L2 it just might not be possible. For example we regularly drive to another city and park at a specific parking lot that has L2 EVSEs. We plug the car in and then take a ferry to where we want to go and spend the day. I am not going to get back on the ferry to come back once the charge is complete just to move the car. I assume situations like this for L2 spots is pretty common unless it is a workplace charger or something you use on a very consistent basis.

UBUYGAS
Gold Member

Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:14 am

My Goal is to mock the small percentage of people who are EVHOLE's. To have fun and get a laugh and then the people who are enjoying themselves by laughing at these people will most likely not do this themselves because they don't want to be an EVHOLE as well.

But if you think you have ideas on how to teach more people and get the word out then by all means come and join my facebook group and post all you want.

I am on Instagram too, posting away trying to teach people that they shouldn't be an EVHOLE.

Sal

GetOffYourGas wrote:
Lasareath wrote:The only person this would piss off is the #EVHOLE, And who cares if that pisses them off.

If your goal is to change their behavior, then this is not a good approach.

UBUYGAS
Gold Member

Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:19 am

In this situation it's completely understandable that you wouldn't come back to move your car.

But, if there was a sign that said 4 hours max charging time. Would you come back or not park at all?,

Would you be upset if you got a ticket and the car was towed?

kaikara wrote:With a quickcharger I can understand being right near there to move the car. With L2 it just might not be possible. For example we regularly drive to another city and park at a specific parking lot that has L2 EVSEs. We plug the car in and then take a ferry to where we want to go and spend the day. I am not going to get back on the ferry to come back once the charge is complete just to move the car. I assume situations like this for L2 spots is pretty common unless it is a workplace charger or something you use on a very consistent basis.

kaikara
Delivery Date: 24 Oct 2013

Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:30 am

In this lot the chargers are free and you are allowed to to park for as long as you pay for so their is no chance of getting towed/ticketed. If the signage stated that parking was only 4 hours or there would other rules I would follow them. I was just pointing out that with L2 chargers it is not always possible to be nearby to move your vehicle.

Lasareath wrote:In this situation it's completely understandable that you wouldn't come back to move your car.

But, if there was a sign that said 4 hours max charging time. Would you come back or not park at all?,

kaikara wrote:With a quickcharger I can understand being right near there to move the car. With L2 it just might not be possible. For example we regularly drive to another city and park at a specific parking lot that has L2 EVSEs. We plug the car in and then take a ferry to where we want to go and spend the day. I am not going to get back on the ferry to come back once the charge is complete just to move the car. I assume situations like this for L2 spots is pretty common unless it is a workplace charger or something you use on a very consistent basis.

UBUYGAS
Gold Member

Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:44 am

Thanks.

EVHOLE's are people who do not abide by the rules. Who don't care about #EVsigns

The very same people who park in Handicap parking Spots and are not handicapped or do not have Handicap License Plates or tags.

Basically An A$$hol3 driver who just happened to buy an EV.

kaikara wrote:In this lot the chargers are free and you are allowed to to park for as long as you pay for so their is no chance of getting towed/ticketed. If the signage stated that parking was only 4 hours or there would other rules I would follow them. I was just pointing out that with L2 chargers it is not always possible to be nearby to move your vehicle.

Lasareath wrote:In this situation it's completely understandable that you wouldn't come back to move your car.

Last edited by UBUYGAS on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjblazin
Delivery Date: 11 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 405999

Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:58 am

If you cannot get back to your car after it finished charging within 5 or 10 minutes, you really have no business leaving your car in the spot. Just because the situation is difficult does not make it acceptable. Everybody can find reasons why they are special. Find a paying spot or a hotel type spot where you pay for parking and the hotel throws in the charge. We have a surprising number of hotels in Dallas that offer it though I don't think many EVs use it.
2013 SL Blue Ocean
Bought used, March 2015 12,764 miles
11/12 bars. 235 gids 18.2 kWh
Appears fully loaded
Condo home, Using public charge except in emergency
Dallas, TX downtown, shaded non-temp controlled garage

davewill

Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:18 pm

mjblazin wrote:If you cannot get back to your car after it finished charging within 5 or 10 minutes, you really have no business leaving your car in the spot. Just because the situation is difficult does not make it acceptable. Everybody can find reasons why they are special. Find a paying spot or a hotel type spot where you pay for parking and the hotel throws in the charge. We have a surprising number of hotels in Dallas that offer it though I don't think many EVs use it.

Just isn't so. If that were so, then charging stations wouldn't be put at airports, train stations, theaters, restaurants, etc. At all of those places, you're going to leave your car and not come back until you're done. I'm certainly not going to abandon a steak for 20 minutes, or miss part of a movie just to move my car. Even at a shopping mall, I'm probably not going to interrupt my shopping to do it. It's just not reasonable. That's not to say you shouldn't have some judgement. If you don't need the charge to get home and you know you're going to be gone significantly longer than the car will actually spend charging, just don't charge.

This makes the stations that bill for the entire time you're plugged in a problem at some locations. One of the local train station/transit centers has a bunch of Blink EVSEs, but if I take a train or a bus from there, I'm obviously not going to be back for a long time...so I probably can't use it.

Of course if there are posted parking limitations, those MUST be obeyed.
Last edited by davewill on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

desiv
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 018850

Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:59 pm

mjblazin wrote:If you cannot get back to your car after it finished charging within 5 or 10 minutes, you really have no business leaving your car in the spot..

In general I kind of agree, but not totally.
It's still pretty situational..

There's a spot where I charge frequently. Almost never another EV there, but it can happen.
I almost always stay with the car, but sometimes if my wife is with me, we might stop to grab a bit to eat.

When that happens, there's a change the car will get full before we're done.

But the layout there is great in that the charger can reach multiple spots.
I park there and plug in and charge and we go eat. However, I have a note printed up that says that if my car is full, you can unplug me. If the 3rd bar is flashing and you need a charge, you can unplug me.

I also include my phone in case someone needs to text/call me...
(And I always check in with Plugshare so I can be messaged there as well.)

There's another guy I run into infrequently there who does something similar. He doesn't leave a note, but I've chatted with him a few times.. He's totally OK with me unplugging him if he's full.

That's a nicely designed spot tho, where the cord can reach multiple spots..
That's not always the case, and if it won't I make sure I'm back when it's done charging (or stay with the car).

I do agree tho, that if it's going to be hours, you should be able to move your car to a non-charging spot.

desiv
2012 Leaf SL - Silver (gone - traded in)
2017 Bolt LT - Red

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”