Delivery Date: 27 May 2015

Re: Tire Registration

Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:33 pm

Arlington
Delivery Date: 29 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 414434

Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:17 am

- My "check tire" yellow warning light is on.
- My old-school pressure gauge shows perfect readings from 4 tires.
- Leaf Spy shows that the two back tires are "N/A".

Simplest cause seems like tire guys forgot to sync/reset (I bought used from a trusted dealer who'd put on new tires, probably at Costco)

Has anyone tried these $25 ring magnets (or like this) or initiating a reset/synch?

Seems like it'd be worth a try before stepping up to one of the $120 electronic thingies.

TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:41 am

Arlington wrote:...
Has anyone tried these $25 ring magnets (or like this) or initiating a reset/synch?

Seems like it'd be worth a try before stepping up to one of the $120 electronic thingies.

Does not work with the Nissan TPMS system.

When I went back to Costco they had a proximity device and used it to register the sensors.
Not the same brand that Turbo 3 listed.
But it worked.
It has a OBDII wireless device that plugs into the OBDII port.

Then selected proper vehicle from a list and put it next to each wheel TPMS as instructed.
About 30 seconds to one minute for each to register before moving to the next one.

They had just failed to do it when they installed the tires initially when they were very busy.

But if you don't have a device or don't want to spend that much, the LEAF Spy Pro setting the four pressures does work.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:07 am

Arlington wrote:- My "check tire" yellow warning light is on.

Simplest cause seems like tire guys forgot to sync/reset (I bought used from a trusted dealer who'd put on new tires, probably at Costco)

Since Leaf Spy displays two pressures and N/A for the other two, it is possible that the tire shop damaged 2 sensors or replaced them with plain valve stems. Since the functional sensors could be in any position, you will need to check all 4 tires (you could adjust the tires to 4 different pressures and determine which ones are displaying correctly after driving a short distance).
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

Arlington
Delivery Date: 29 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 414434

Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:18 pm

GerryAZ wrote:
Arlington wrote:- My "check tire" yellow warning light is on.

Since Leaf Spy displays two pressures and N/A for the other two, it is possible that the tire shop damaged 2 sensors or replaced them with plain valve stems. Since the functional sensors could be in any position, you will need to check all 4 tires (you could adjust the tires to 4 different pressures and determine which ones are displaying correctly after driving a short distance).

My Nissan Dealer, as part of scheduled maintenance, re-registered all 4 tires "for free"* (so I don't know how it was fixed, but am happy it was)

*Nothing a dealer does is really free. It was clearly priced into the overpriced brake fluid change ($100) and multipoint inspection ($60), but hey, I was getting the brake Service Campaign done at the same time.

BuckMkII

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:13 am

Got new Ecopias a couple of weeks ago at the nearest Firestone store. On Sunday I started down the street and saw the tire pressure warning on dash after three blocks. LeafSpy shows front-left is flat. Actually, right-rear is flat.

Found drywall screw in edge of tread. Pumped up tire with Zefal floor pump and drove to Firestone shop. They replaced tire ("unrepairable" although I jammed a plug into one of my Subaru's tires in the same location on the tread and it's held for years :roll: ) Still registered to wrong location on car.

Do shops not routinely re-register after remounting wheels? I guess I'll have to call them and harass them about this.
2013 SV no QC, manufactured July 2013
car grew up in San Jose CA, purchased 5/31/17 in Seattle
on 6/16/17: AHr = 56.4; SOH = 86%; Hx = 84.3; ODO = 39,250
on 9/29/17: AHr = 55.3; SOH = 84%; Hx = 81.6; ODO = 41,492
bar 12 lost 8/21/17

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:59 am

When I got new tires earlier this year, they didn't put the sensors back in the same position. I just fixed it by doing a tire position registration with Leaf Spy Pro this past weekend. It was really simple to do.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:39 am

i took my leaf to have new tires on that I ordered online.. this place had guys who knew what they were doing. I stood by and watched them, I like watching people work..anyway I saw them take the wheels off and with a tiny chalk like marker, write on the wheel to note where they came from, now that is wisdom of the job. They didn't know that in fact the wheels were all in the wrong place anyway because I messed that up a year ago when I swapped them and didn't bother to use leaf spy relearn and me re-program the locations.
Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:09 pm

All this worry about where the wheel should go is ridiculous. Who cares which wheel has what location pressure. As long as the car recognizes all 4 tires and the warning light is off, who cares??

The TPMS goes on when ONE of them goes below a certain point. That ALERTS YOU that a tire is below pressure, and you should check ALL of them. Without having Leafspy, no one would even care about individual pressures and just check all tires themselves with a gauge... Total time... 30 seconds. Also, the sensors are not expected to be accurate to a decimal pound figure.

I personally hate those sensors because I hate that I am obligated to change those damn sensors for $200+ when they go bad. I was perfectly happy before they invented those things.

All this computer and phone app crap is turning us into a society of obsessive compulsive pussy willows that have to get their data just the way they like it or they have an embolism. They are probably the same ones that get their meal ingredients ordered by mail so they don't have to cut their own vegetables... As proof, there is even a guy that posted he is going to harrass the shop about it.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:13 pm

I have two vehicles with TPMS and would add it to my other vehicles if I could find good aftermarket kits. The low pressure warning before the tire is flat enough to feel the effect on handling has saved me from damaging several tires which developed leaks that were repairable. Knowing the position of the soft tire is beneficial because the low pressure warning comes on before the tire is soft enough to be obvious. My SUV displays all four pressures and comes with a magnet to program the sensor positions (quick and easy with no need to change pressures)--I wish Nissan would display all four pressures on the dash, but at least Leaf Spy does.

I have not yet needed to replace sensors on my 2004 SUV or on the 2015 LEAF. The original sensors were working fine on the 2011 when it reached the end of the road.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”