Attention to small details

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gudy

It was raining today (and the noise from the tires is much higher with rain).
When I turned the car off, I hadn't turned off the windshield wippers. They automatically go back to their "rest" position.
I know that many cars do that today, but it's nice to see that Nissan has thought about details like that for the LEAF.

Thanks gudy for that info! My two car's wiper blades stop at the point when ignition is turned off, annoying. Wanted to ask you if the interior light turns off automatically after a certain time if for example left turned on accidentally? My sienna van does not and we sometimes wake up with a dead battery because of kids leaving the light on the whole night. Just wondering, this is one of those good to have features.

Nice to know, gudy. Does the rain noticeably increase drag as it does in other cars? You should be getting a good deal of rain the next week or so. :)

Nice touch! My ODC side has issues with wipers stuck halfway on parked cars. Yes, crazy me I am very detail oriented :roll: .

trentr said:
Wanted to ask you if the interior light turns off automatically after a certain time if for example left turned on accidentally? My sienna van does not and we sometimes wake up with a dead battery because of kids leaving the light on the whole night. Just wondering, this is one of those good to have features.

This is from interior "map" lights, right? Usually those stay on because their turned on manually... We had the same problem and forbid the kids from using them, buying them small LED book lights to read by... :D

I haven't tried that. They must be running of the 12V battery, but honestly, I don't see small interior lights draining a 24kWh battery overnight ;)
They are really bright by the way.

I've already mentioned it, but the beams will stay on for about 30s after turning the car off (if set on auto, which is an SL only feature), which is really convenient for plugging the car at night.

I've also found how to tell that the car is correctly connected and waiting for the timer to start charging : the 3 blue LEDs indicating current charge when charging are actually turned on in sequence (1 then 2 then 3 then 1, ...). When charging you'll either get 1 to blink (1st third of the battery charging), or 1 on, and 2 blinking (2nd third charging), or 1,2 on and 3 blinking, or all 3 on (fully charged).

Interesting. That would be devastating in my Nissan Murano, as the "rest" position is tucked down too far under the hood. If you want to lift the wiper arm up to replace the blade or even clean the window, you have to turn off the ignition mid-swipe so that the wipers are stopped vertical instead. It's the only way you can bend them out.

I assume that on the Leaf you can still lift the wipers to clean under them when at the rest position?

garygid said:
It looked like these first 5 LEAFs had a super high gloss to the paint when they were delivered.

Was that some special treatment for the TV cameras?

Ya, Gudys black one looked real good!

garygid said:
It looked like these first 5 LEAFs had a super high gloss to the paint when they were delivered.

Was that some special treatment for the TV cameras?

One one of the close-ups you can see a normal amount of "orange peel". They may have detailed it, but nothing extraordinary to perfect the paint.

blorg said:
Interesting. That would be devastating in my Nissan Murano, as the "rest" position is tucked down too far under the hood. If you want to lift the wiper arm up to replace the blade or even clean the window, you have to turn off the ignition mid-swipe so that the wipers are stopped vertical instead. It's the only way you can bend them out.

I assume that on the Leaf you can still lift the wipers to clean under them when at the rest position?

Just for you, blorg - from today's drive event in Austin. There's PLENTY of room to work on the wipers when parked. :D

parked_blades.jpg

The car was 'very parked' - and enjoying some electrons courtesy of an AV L3 unit on a generator trailer.
parked_l3.jpg

parked_l3_AV.jpg

blorg said:

On my car flipping the wiper stalk after shutdown raises the wipers to the full up position for blade changes. Maybe double check your manual?

Both ceiling and map lights will turn off automatically after 15 mins. Nice attention to detail, Thanks Nissan!

From the manual:
"The light will automatically turn off after 15 minutes when the light remains illuminated to prevent the battery from becoming discharged."

gudy said:
It was raining today (and the noise from the tires is much higher with rain).
When I turned the car off, I hadn't turned off the windshield wippers. They automatically go back to their "rest" position.
I know that many cars do that today, but it's nice to see that Nissan has thought about details like that for the LEAF.

Not a plus for those of us in snow country. I often turn my car off with the wipers in their most vertical position (most opposite the "rest" position) - makes it much easier to unstick them and get the snow and ice cleaned off before going again.

LakeLeaf said:
Not a plus for those of us in snow country. I often turn my car off with the wipers in their most vertical position (most opposite the "rest" position) - makes it much easier to unstick them and get the snow and ice cleaned off before going again.
Well, you can't to to the opposite position, but you can go mid-position - from the manual:
To pull up the wiper arm, pull the lever within one minute after the power switch is turned off. The wiper operation stops in mid-operation...

trentr said:
Wanted to ask you if the interior light turns off automatically after a certain time if for example left turned on accidentally? My sienna van does not and we sometimes wake up with a dead battery...

All Nissan's have had what's called a battery saver timing device for many years now. All interior lights will be turned off in 15 minutes (even if turned on manually), and the headlights will be turned of after 5 minutes (even if turned on manually). This is a great feature, of which very few Nissan owners are aware.

Back