WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:00 am

Levenkay wrote:For public charging that you don't NEED to use (like plugging in while you buy some groceries), L2 is fine. But if you're "having to wait" for a public charge, you should be using a DC fast charger.

Having made a fairly long trip with only L2 charging, I'd like a 20kW L2 option. Sure, someday DCQC will be many places, but I suspect the more remote areas will never have anything but L2.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

be236
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2018
Leaf Number: 309258

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:10 pm

Levenkay wrote:
be236 wrote:I bought a used CPO Nissan LEAF 2017 S red colour with about 6000 miles at my local Nissan dealer in Kirkland WA. Has Quick Charger and was made in May 2017. Pretty cool. Fun driving it... though trying to get used to having to wait so long for public L2 charging.
For public charging that you don't NEED to use (like plugging in while you buy some groceries), L2 is fine. But if you're "having to wait" for a public charge, you should be using a DC fast charger.

First there are not that many public QC stations near me that are free... And most (near me) are expensive, around $8 per QC session. So I'm stuck at L2 for awhile... just waiting 45 minutes to charge at L2 to gain 20 miles is a pain, but I guess I have to accept it. Thankfully, I dont drive many miles for my daily commute yet, so I typically charge up once-a-week or so.
Nissan LEAF 2017 S.

be236

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:12 pm

WetEV wrote:
Levenkay wrote:For public charging that you don't NEED to use (like plugging in while you buy some groceries), L2 is fine. But if you're "having to wait" for a public charge, you should be using a DC fast charger.

Having made a fairly long trip with only L2 charging, I'd like a 20kW L2 option. Sure, someday DCQC will be many places, but I suspect the more remote areas will never have anything but L2.

Yeah, 20kwh L2 charging would be nice... 6kwh L2 is just bearable, and I feel sorry for those with just 3kwh L2 charging...
Nissan LEAF 2017 S.

be236

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:41 pm

I noticed a lot of people here are "placing orders for their new 2018 LEAFs."

That's strange, since in WA here, most of the Nissan dealers I've visited have a ton of 2018 LEAFs sitting in their parking lot waiting to be bought/sold...

Plenty of them for sale here for immediate pickup the day you buy them...
Nissan LEAF 2017 S.

Levenkay
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 308382

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:02 pm

be236 wrote:Yeah, 20kwh L2 charging would be nice... 6kwh L2 is just bearable, and I feel sorry for those with just 3kwh L2 charging...

Everyone lacking a physics/engineering background goes through this as a new EV driver, but the "speed rating" of various vehicle charging arrangements should be stated simply in watts (or kilowatts), not watt hours (or kilowatt hours).

Going even farther off-topic, I think EV manufacturers have an opportunity to address all of these issues: 1) eliminating the expense of having extra onboard electronics for charging, 2) the expense of manufacturing DCQC fast charging equipment, 3) Increasing charging rates from AC mains supplies, and 4) providing the benefits of "vehicle - to - grid" (or to-home) power delivery, by exploiting the vehicles' main power conversion systems, which are already capable of serving all these functions. Seems to me that all of these could be done at the trivial (compared to the onboard charger cost) cost of one additional contactor relay, some additional software, and some badly needed legislatively-enforced specifications for the vehicle's external power connectors.

be236

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:03 am

Levenkay wrote:
be236 wrote:Yeah, 20kwh L2 charging would be nice... 6kwh L2 is just bearable, and I feel sorry for those with just 3kwh L2 charging...

Everyone lacking a physics/engineering background goes through this as a new EV driver, but the "speed rating" of various vehicle charging arrangements should be stated simply in watts (or kilowatts), not watt hours (or kilowatt hours).

Going even farther off-topic, I think EV manufacturers have an opportunity to address all of these issues: 1) eliminating the expense of having extra onboard electronics for charging, 2) the expense of manufacturing DCQC fast charging equipment, 3) Increasing charging rates from AC mains supplies, and 4) providing the benefits of "vehicle - to - grid" (or to-home) power delivery, by exploiting the vehicles' main power conversion systems, which are already capable of serving all these functions. Seems to me that all of these could be done at the trivial (compared to the onboard charger cost) cost of one additional contactor relay, some additional software, and some badly needed legislatively-enforced specifications for the vehicle's external power connectors.

Yeah, I tend to mix-up "kwh" and "kw."
Nissan LEAF 2017 S.

LakeLeaf
Delivery Date: 04 Aug 2018

Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:41 pm

Thought I'd post and let everyone know that I found a 2013 Leaf with 12 bars showing and decided to buy it. Perhaps the original owner is a member. Whoever it is took great care of the car, so I'm quite pleased to be the second owner and will take just as good care of the car.

Rockytherock
Delivery Date: 12 Jul 2018

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:36 pm

I too just got a new leaf. It’s a 2015 S with 605 miles (now about 640 after the driving around over the weekend). This is my first experience with an electric car. So far I love how it drives and how quiet it is. I’ve got this big ol smile on my face most if the time. Seriously I think driving this car will lower my blood pressure. Tomorrow I will be taking it to work. It’s a short trip but about a mile of it is up a pretty good hill, so I’m curious what that will do to the range. I’m charging it now though I’m sure It will be fine for a few days of driving.

Steve

Grheault
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:08 am

be236 wrote:I noticed a lot of people here are "placing orders for their new 2018 LEAFs."

That's strange, since in WA here, most of the Nissan dealers I've visited have a ton of 2018 LEAFs sitting in their parking lot waiting to be bought/sold...

Plenty of them for sale here for immediate pickup the day you buy them...

most (if not all) dealer in canada don't have anything in stock and is waiting for the 2019 to come. I've place an order in may and i should received the 2019 in october

henrydehoja
Delivery Date: 12 Sep 2018

Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:01 am

Hey guys,
New to the forum and EV ownership. Wanted to say Hi!

I got my 2018 Leaf S in September and have been enjoying it. I got the charge package on mine. I kind of regret not getting the trim with navigation, since I can't use the Connect EV app or communicate with the car via my phone to check on charging. But, I'll get used to it.

I got mine through the Massachusetts's energy program. They only deal with a handful of local dealers that are knowledgeable on EVs. Through the program, I got a $6.5K instant discount on the $32K MSRP; I watched the discount increase each month as I waited to buy at the end of Summer. The state offers another $2.5K rebate, and then there's the federal $7.5K credit, so I managed to get some great discounts on the price.

I already had over a year's worth of research on EVs, so I was prepared going into the dealership. I just needed to take a test drive for the real world experience. The dealership had 1 salesperson whose only job was to sell/lease the Leaf to consumers, companies, and cities/towns. I found that he was very knowledgeable on EVs; he had been selling the Leaf since 2012. There was also no pressure from him of the dealer's finance Dept during the purchase. This was the best car buying experience I have ever had.

A lot of the state Nissan dealership's had been dumping their Leaf's on this dealer, since they could not sell them; I see this as a common problem with EV dealers. The dealership had just received 3 Leafs after Labor Day, one of which was the exact color (blue) and base model that I wanted. He reserved one for me. I saw that it still had a lot of the plastic wrap on it when I came for the visit, so we did the test drive on a SV model. It all went well, as I expected. A few days later, I picked up my Leaf, and promotional Leaf baseball hat & coffee cup and, drove into the sunset.
2018 Nissan Leaf S w/QC
Placed in action: 9/2018

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”