LeafMuranoDriver
Posts: 351
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 8:15 am
Delivery Date: 01 May 2015
Leaf Number: 323189
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Thu May 12, 2016 8:47 am

BudT wrote:My wife and I are happy with the Leaf so far. All of the features and operational aspects are fairly intuitive to us. I'm looking forward to playing with data from the car (I'm a data neRd), and am considering getting LeafSpy and a Bluetooth OBD-2 interface.
If the bold part is true (like myself) then you shouldn't even think twice about the red part. :mrgreen: :ugeek:

You will enjoy it. It's worth every $.
2015 Leaf S w/ QC
Mfg: Jan. '15 // Pur: May '15
Best: 6/27/15 - 1,416 Miles - 292 GIDs - 63.11 Ahr - 22.6 kWh - 100% SOH - 97.2% Hx - 4 QC, 29 L2
Worst: 12/12/15 - 4,616 Miles - 259 GIDs - 55.02 Ahr - 20.1 kWh - 99% SOH - 82.8% Hx - 17 QC, 96 L2[/size]

BudT
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 12:51 pm
Delivery Date: 09 May 2016
Leaf Number: 310204
Location: Louisville, CO
Contact: Twitter

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Thu May 12, 2016 3:02 pm

LeafMuranoDriver wrote:
BudT wrote:My wife and I are happy with the Leaf so far. All of the features and operational aspects are fairly intuitive to us. I'm looking forward to playing with data from the car (I'm a data neRd), and am considering getting LeafSpy and a Bluetooth OBD-2 interface.
If the bold part is true (like myself) then you shouldn't even think twice about the red part. :mrgreen: :ugeek:

You will enjoy it. It's worth every $.
Yup. Ready to get my R on with some Leaf data. Need to drive more first ;)
2016 Leaf SV
4.9 kW PV @home
Bikes
Running shoes

Jedlacks
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:10 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 303628
Location: Kennesaw, GA

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Thu May 12, 2016 5:41 pm

I finally jumped off the fence and bought a 2015 SV with 8,000+ miles. It was and still is an Atlanta car that is parked inside at home, and in the basement at work. This first week I have been trickle charging, but I just ordered the Juicebox 40 that is to be delivered in 2 days.

The car comes with QC, and I already ordered all the cards from the major providers. It's not on a monthly subscription, as it is for emergencies. My daily commute is at least 54 miles, so I need to take care of it while the cost of the batteries continue to fall.
2018 SV
Deep Blue Pearl

gncndad
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:02 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Feb 2016
Location: Ft. Worth, TX

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:23 pm

I've been here for a couple of months, still a newbee, thought I'd post my question here, since I can't figure out which "leafspy pro" thread to post in.

I purchased Fineed super Mini ELM327 OBDII plug-in. I can't figure out how to register as new user, as it asks for email address, then a password. It won't accept my password, says "not correct format", but doesn't tell me what's wrong with the format.

Any ideas? I've sent the same question to the seller ("lizebest" ...Amazon)
2015 LeafS
2013 Ford Cmax
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited
2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Energi

bigbluebear
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:42 pm
Delivery Date: 08 May 2016

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:49 am

Officially finally purchased my own Leaf! Just a few days ago, I picked up a 2013 Leaf S with QC port and 29k miles. Strangest thing happened though... when I test drove the car, it showed 12 bars but two days after taking ownership, it now shows 11. I don't mind though since I got a great deal on it ($7.3k). I had some range anxiety over the weekend when the car ran to empty. In the long run, I"m sure it'll be fine... just something I need to get used to.

So I've noticed that Nissan removed the 80% charge feature in the 2014. However, this feature is still available in the 2013. From reading the boards, many believe the second half of 2013 manufactured Leafs have better batteries than the first half (didn't think to check but I do indeed have one from the second half). Is there any consensus on whether leaving the charge to 100% in the 2013 hurts the longevity of the battery?

If it matters, I'm in the camp that batteries will continue to lower in price so that eventually when we all do need to change the battery, it will be affordable.

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 12790
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:11 am

Leafs built Jan-March of 2013 generally show faster degradation than Leafs built from 4/13 on. Since you have the charge to 80% option, I suggest you use it when you don't need a full charge. When you do, try to time the end of charge with a time near your departure. Finally, if the car loses another bar soon, you have been scammed by someone who reset the BMS to show 12 bars - for a few weeks. If that is the case I suggest you get them to take it back. LeafSpy can tell you more about that.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Posts: 9584
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:13 am

bigbluebear wrote:Officially finally purchased my own Leaf! Just a few days ago, I picked up a 2013 Leaf S with QC port and 29k miles. Strangest thing happened though... when I test drove the car, it showed 12 bars but two days after taking ownership, it now shows 11. I don't mind though since I got a great deal on it ($7.3k). I had some range anxiety over the weekend when the car ran to empty. In the long run, I"m sure it'll be fine... just something I need to get used to.
Welcome!

Hope you didn't get a vehicle with a reset BMS (one that actually was done a couple bars where some unscrupulous person/dealer reset it to read 12) which will decline within a few weeks or months to its true reading. Where did the vehicle reside before?

I take it you didn't use Leaf Spy to get the AHr, Hx and SOH values, right?

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

bigbluebear
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:42 pm
Delivery Date: 08 May 2016

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:30 am

cwerdna wrote:
bigbluebear wrote:Officially finally purchased my own Leaf! Just a few days ago, I picked up a 2013 Leaf S with QC port and 29k miles. Strangest thing happened though... when I test drove the car, it showed 12 bars but two days after taking ownership, it now shows 11. I don't mind though since I got a great deal on it ($7.3k). I had some range anxiety over the weekend when the car ran to empty. In the long run, I"m sure it'll be fine... just something I need to get used to.
Welcome!

Hope you didn't get a vehicle with a reset BMS (one that actually was done a couple bars where some unscrupulous person/dealer reset it to read 12) which will decline within a few weeks or months to its true reading. Where did the vehicle reside before?

I take it you didn't use Leaf Spy to get the AHr, Hx and SOH values, right?
I read about leafspy on here and was going to purchase the OBD2 but just didn't have the time before. I'm no too upset about it. The car has 29k miles so I'm fine. The car was a lease return so my guess is that the prev owner charged to 100%.

I am about to purchase an OBD2 dongle and have been looking through the boards to figure out which OBD2 dongle to buy. Which one do you recommend? I was thinking this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJRYMFC

Also since you also have a 2013, how is your battery doing? Any suggestions on charging and usage?

jbrad4
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:31 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 318929
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:30 pm

This ODB2 BlueTooth works. This is the one that I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Version-Bluetoot ... 00N2K6M2A/

And it's only $4.49 with free shipping.
-= Jim =-
2015 Cayenne Red Leaf SL w/ Premium Pkg
Delivery Date: 27 Jan 15, Autonation Nissan, Dallas, TX
Leaf No: 318929
Added: Window Tint, Body Side Moldings
http://rowlett.ws/leaf/

cwerdna
Posts: 9584
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:36 pm

bigbluebear wrote: Also since you also have a 2013, how is your battery doing? Any suggestions on charging and usage?
My current '13 is used. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 25#p430825 were my readings at my purchase. Its original in-service date was late 6/2013.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 08#p467208 were recent readings.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 21#p467221 are some of my habits.

Although I'm not religious about keeping the battery SoC low as I'd rather charge for free at work or public charging, I do try to keep the battery cooler, when I can. But, I don't like leaving my car out overnight on work days as a signal to people casing houses/potential house or car burglars. (My house was broken into for the first time ever in Jan 2015 when there was a MASSIVE spike in burglaries in my area (over triple compared to the same period a year before). This house (built in 1979) and every place I've ever lived in had never been broken into until then. We've also intermittently had car break-ins here.)

For longevity, I would definitely not leave it at 100% or high SoC for a long period of time, esp. out in the heat. Keep the car cooler (e.g. in covered parking, shadier areas, w/less sun exposure, etc.) If feasible, charge when it's cooler, since even L2 charging heats up the battery slightly. DC FCing can really heat it up.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”