Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:12 am

enjoy xickx!!!
2019 Pearl White Tricoat SL

ccoopa
Delivery Date: 12 Jan 2019
Leaf Number: 422911

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:31 pm

Just got a 2013 Leaf S. My first EV, inspired by practicality and my Earth conscious grandkids! Loving the experience: Quiet quiet quiet! Plenty of power and room enough to haul my stuff!

Diesel10
Delivery Date: 20 Jan 2019
Leaf Number: 306924

Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:54 am

Did it! Picked up a 2015 S last night! Now, to make sure I can keep the thing charged....

thefarcanalian
Delivery Date: 05 Oct 2018

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:33 pm

Picked up a 2016 Leaf last month. Just found this forum and already it had helped me figure out how to have the heat on what plugged in.

Great forum guys.

Love the car, love the silence, love driving past petrol stations without stopping.

lebikerboy
Delivery Date: 03 Jan 2019

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:31 pm

Picked up our 2019 SV two weeks ago and really love it.
Both cars in our family are now EV's... :mrgreen:
2019 Leaf SV

"If a situation requires your undivided attention, it
will occur simultaneously with a compelling distraction."
:roll:

badq45t
Delivery Date: 12 Apr 2011

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:05 pm

While I am still a believer that Nissan needs to liquid cool their batteries, when it came time to find a temp replacement for the 2011 essentially useless Leaf I went with another one. The wife (who drives daily) was completely against Volt and Bolt feels too chincy.

So bought 2019 Red SV model and drove today.

First, I missed out on a few features on SV that SL had like autodimming mirror and home link. I think that is something that should be on the base model! The comfort is okay, maybe I will get more comfortable in the seat over time. The new dash layout is a change, more conventional with standard speedo, not more tree building, and a layout that is less Nissan Parts throw together.

The driving experience is excellent. The car has more pickup for sure and it is clear that the stronger motor has an easier time keeping the car at highway speeds without blowing threw the battery. I drove about 42 miles from home to work, most at 65-75 MPH, started off with 160 (10 more than advertised) and pulled in with 75% battery left and estimated range of 120 miles. Nice surprise there and didn't even bother to look for a charging point to get home.

Overall the Leaf is a great car. I wish Nissan would switch to liquid cooling, why o' why not? The battery now has a 8 year warranty for keeping a charge, with of course Nissan's disgression on what level you NEED to lose to cash in. i have no doubt that in 3 years the battery will still be close to new car, but I will be probably giving it back vs. paying the $13k residual.

I am giving my 2011 Leaf to a new company Fenix Power that plans to use my car as a test mule for a new 65kilowatt battery pack that will be liquid cooled, should give the car well over 200 miles. He's giving it back to me with that battery! More on that as I know.

papayaparty
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2019

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:29 pm

I have been a lurker in this forum for quite some time, but I finally decided to register.

I had never owned a car. I live in Tokyo, which has excellent public transportation, so for my general transportation needs, I had never needed to own a car.

For the past 5 years I've driven more and more, always on rental cars. I have rented Leafs several times since 2012, and even four times in 2018 for road trips. It is by far the most interesting and exciting car I've ever driven.

Nevertheless, even though the charging infrastructure is excellent here in Japan, 40kWh was still a bit lacking for road trips, which is my main interest in getting a car.

But that all changed this year. Two weeks ago, I finally decided to take the leap, and bought a brand new 62kWh Yellow-Black Nissan Leaf e-plus, G grade. The car is expected to leave the factory on February 26, and delivered a few days later.

Last weekend, I did a test drive on the newly delivered test car at the dealership, and apart from definitely having greater acceleration, and the range display showing 650+km left on 99% charge, it is surprisingly similar to the 40kWh model. The G grade has leather seats as standard though.

I'll let you know how it goes once I get the keys.

FAQ

Q: Why not a Tesla?
A: They do have them here in Japan, but are crazy expensive. The supercharger network is pathetic, and the car is simply too large: it won't even fit on most parking spaces.

Q: Why not a model 3?
A: They are still taking pre-orders. They haven't delivered the first one. For all purposes, it is simply vaporware.

Q: Why not a Kona/Bolt/whatever?
A: They're not available in Japan. The only serious EVs in Japan are the model S and the Leaf.

Q: CHAdeMO sux lololol
A: Maybe where you live, but definitely not in Japan. We have thousands of public quick chargers all over Japan, with one in almost every highway service area and rest stop. You can also charge in almost all Nissan dealers, and lots of malls, supermarkets and other public locations. All of these chargers are CHAdeMO, and I get to charge all I want for a flat rate of 2000 yen/month.

Q: What about the lack of liquid cooling?
A: I did notice that charging gets slower after the first charge. I also heard this was resolved with a software update. I suppose they didn't put liquid cooling on the e-plus because doing so would make the car's height over 1550mm (the 40kWh is 1540mm, while the e-plus is 1545mm). 1550mm is a magic number, because many automated parking spaces in Japan (including the one I have at home) have a height limit of 1550mm. If a car goes above this number, it won't fit on a large amount of parking spaces anymore. I prefer to not have liquid cooling, over not being able to have a Leaf at all.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:00 pm

I'd be careful not to overinflate the tires!
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:58 am

papayaparty wrote:
Q: CHAdeMO sux lololol
A: Maybe where you live, but definitely not in Japan. We have thousands of public quick chargers all over Japan, with one in almost every highway service area and rest stop. You can also charge in almost all Nissan dealers, and lots of malls, supermarkets and other public locations. All of these chargers are CHAdeMO, and I get to charge all I want for a flat rate of 2000 yen/month.

Q: What about the lack of liquid cooling?
A: I did notice that charging gets slower after the first charge. I also heard this was resolved with a software update. I suppose they didn't put liquid cooling on the e-plus because doing so would make the car's height over 1550mm (the 40kWh is 1540mm, while the e-plus is 1545mm). 1550mm is a magic number, because many automated parking spaces in Japan (including the one I have at home) have a height limit of 1550mm. If a car goes above this number, it won't fit on a large amount of parking spaces anymore. I prefer to not have liquid cooling, over not being able to have a Leaf at all.

THANK YOU SIR! For you might've provided the single best answer many of us have been wondering about WHY Nissan kept their battery passively-cooled!

Edit: 5mm is less than 1/4 inch!
:: Model 3 LR :: acquired 9 May '18
:: Leaf S30 :: build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
100% Zero transportation emissions (except when I walk) and loving it!

Spacep0d
Delivery Date: 14 Feb 2019
Leaf Number: 309151

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:14 am

Got a Leaf!

I should start with this factoid; I did not intend to get a Leaf, but I ended up with one through a circuitous process and I love it.

The whole story starts with my motorcycle going into the shop, leaving me without a good way to get to work (60 mile round trip from Santa Clarita to Hollywood). I rented a Tesla Model 3 and fell deeply in love with it—from it's minimalist styling inside and out, its amazing speed, the beauty of the free Tesla supercharger network (free for now anyway). The thing feels like a car from the future, more spaceship than car in some ways. This sold me on EVs, or what an EV could be. Using the HOV lane all the way to work was a thing of beauty.

As the temps in California dropped (yes, I rode home on a motorcycle in 39 degree weather where I live) and as the rains came in, I really ratched up my search for my next car, despite my weak credit that I'm building back up (I was without a job for too long, despite trying).

Initially I was looking through Shift.com, where I could sort used vehicles by max cost ($20k), max mileage (40-50k), color, EV, etc. The e-Golf caught my attention, but the range on anything made before 2017 is just too short (83 miles) to cover my 60-mile round trip, considering battery degradation, heat and A/C usage, spirited driving in fast SoCal flow, etc. Also, I read that the 2015 model year wouldn't even let me use the HOV lane solo, which was most of the point of getting an EV (I've already tasted freedom here because I generally commute year-round on a motorcycle in the HOV lane).

A 2018 Nissan Leaf S popped up. Base model, yes, but it has the optional fast-charge kit installed. BINGO. 9069 miles, $20k sticker, clean Carfax, no accidents, one prior owner, external color I like (white) with my preferred interior color (black), and a 151 mile range! It's bigger than I want or need, and a little faster than the e-Golf (not that I'm buying an EV for speed). Also, there's a CHAdeMO charger about 4 miles from my place which I scouted before the purchase, so that is another good thing.

I pulled the trigger on the Leaf and well, here I am! Nice to meet all of you, and I gotta thank the e-Golf forum for urging me to get something with more range. How right they were.

Now I really want a Level 2 charger in my garage. I need recommendations for which brand and model to get, but I'll check the rest of the forum for that. :)
--
2018 Nissan LEAF S
^My First EV!

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”