Levenkay
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:01 pm
Delivery Date: 16 May 2013
Leaf Number: 19196
Location: Portland, OR

Perplexing weather alert misfeature of 2016

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:40 am

On several occasions now, the nav/display system in my 2016 LEAF has given a spoken audio alert, coupled with a popup notifier (that apparently must be dismissed by touching its "OK" box) on the LCD display, urgently notifying me of a "weather alert". That could be of interest, but the warning is only that the dangerous condition ("High Wind", and "Winter Storm" being the two that I can remember) is some specific distance away. Nothing identifies where the condition is, or even gives its relative bearing, so what action is the driver supposed to take? "Golly; there are high winds forty miles away! Guess I'd better park and seek underground shelter!"

When the nav display can annotate the map with little yellow caution markers that can be interrogated to discover things like "Traffic signal inoperative at this intersection", or "Temporary lane closure", would it be so hard to annotate the map to show where these weather events are?

ElectricEddy
Posts: 329
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.

Re: Perplexing weather alert misfeature of 2016

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:03 pm

Levenkay wrote:On several occasions now, the nav/display system in my 2016 LEAF has given a spoken audio alert, coupled with a popup notifier (that apparently must be dismissed by touching its "OK" box) on the LCD display, urgently notifying me of a "weather alert". That could be of interest, but the warning is only that the dangerous condition ("High Wind", and "Winter Storm" being the two that I can remember) is some specific distance away. Nothing identifies where the condition is, or even gives its relative bearing, so what action is the driver supposed to take? "Golly; there are high winds forty miles away! Guess I'd better park and seek underground shelter!"

When the nav display can annotate the map with little yellow caution markers that can be interrogated to discover things like "Traffic signal inoperative at this intersection", or "Temporary lane closure", would it be so hard to annotate the map to show where these weather events are?

Must be something new. "High wind" might blow your Leaf into the neighbor's yard :D
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

powersurge
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Perplexing weather alert misfeature of 2016

Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:06 am

yeah, I also hate it telling me that it is cold outside...

mihird
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:48 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2013
Location: East Bay CA

Re: Perplexing weather alert misfeature of 2016

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:49 am

I got a flash flood advisory on the 2016 Leaf yesterday...I think, they have done some weather integration..which is new to 2016.
1st Leaf : 2013 SV (2013-2016)
2nd Leaf : 2016 SV (2016-?)
3rd Leaf : 2015 SV (2016-?)

joeshaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 7:43 am
Delivery Date: 29 May 2017
Location: Columbus, OH
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Perplexing weather alert misfeature of 2016

Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:33 pm

I've now gotten 4 of these today and it's starting to get annoying. I couldn't find any reference to these in settings. Is it possible to turn them off?

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Posts: 1243
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Perplexing weather alert misfeature of 2016

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Is it an alert coming through a paired cellular phone? I was getting alerts like that through my cellular provider until I disabled them.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

LeftieBiker
Posts: 6302
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Perplexing weather alert misfeature of 2016

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:14 pm

You can turn the spoken audio alerts off in the menu, and get only a beep.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

AlanSqB
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:33 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 300613
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Re: Perplexing weather alert misfeature of 2016

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:56 pm

powersurge wrote:yeah, I also hate it telling me that it is cold outside...
The low temp warning is a mandated thing now with new cars. It has to notify you at 38F as that's the temperature ice can start to form on bridges.
2015 LEAF SV in Gunmetal Gray
"The only gas in this vehicle comes from the driver."
I drive a LEAF, it doesn't have Ludicrous or Insane mode. It only has Slightly Annoyed mode.

silverone
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:29 pm
Delivery Date: 03 Jan 2017
Location: Eastern OH

Re: Perplexing weather alert misfeature of 2016

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:58 am

Levenkay wrote:On several occasions now, the nav/display system in my 2016 LEAF has given a spoken audio alert, coupled with a popup notifier (that apparently must be dismissed by touching its "OK" box) on the LCD display, urgently notifying me of a "weather alert". That could be of interest, but the warning is only that the dangerous condition ("High Wind", and "Winter Storm" being the two that I can remember) is some specific distance away. Nothing identifies where the condition is, or even gives its relative bearing, so what action is the driver supposed to take? "Golly; there are high winds forty miles away! Guess I'd better park and seek underground shelter!"

When the nav display can annotate the map with little yellow caution markers that can be interrogated to discover things like "Traffic signal inoperative at this intersection", or "Temporary lane closure", would it be so hard to annotate the map to show where these weather events are?


This is a Sirius/XM feature and it will probably stop working if/when your trial expires. The weather alerts normally clue me in on when they're giving a free week of satellite radio around Memorial Day and Labor Day.
2013 SL with Premium package - build date 5/13. 12 bar car with 38,000 miles and counting...
2014 Volt - 45,000+ miles

joeshaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 7:43 am
Delivery Date: 29 May 2017
Location: Columbus, OH
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Perplexing weather alert misfeature of 2016

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:29 pm

silverone wrote:This is a Sirius/XM feature and it will probably stop working if/when your trial expires. The weather alerts normally clue me in on when they're giving a free week of satellite radio around Memorial Day and Labor Day.


Thanks for the tip on SiriusXM... that was enough for me to find how to turn them off.

On the nav system, Menu -> Info -> SXM Weather -> Weather Alert switch to off. Much less annoying!

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”