smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Re: Anyone heard of this third party Nissan Leaf battery expansion?

Fri May 06, 2016 4:47 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
smkettner wrote:Great to see the aftermarket getting started.

There have been companies doing these mods for a LEAF for a long time. Many are bankrupt and there are plenty of LEAF drivers that have non operable cars now. Buyer beware and best of luck to anyone that can do this safely and turn any profit to stay in business. The demand is so low and the market is changing so fast it seems like more of a hobby pursuit than a product with any real lifespan.

OK, I have not read a single post of a full aftermarket battery install that failed.

Still glad to see aftermarket getting started. My LEAF never really performed (range) as Nissan implied it would. In that sense I became stranded with a car that did not operate for my needs and that is with a Nissan battery.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

EVDRIVER

Fri May 06, 2016 5:09 pm

smkettner wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
smkettner wrote:Great to see the aftermarket getting started.

There have been companies doing these mods for a LEAF for a long time. Many are bankrupt and there are plenty of LEAF drivers that have non operable cars now. Buyer beware and best of luck to anyone that can do this safely and turn any profit to stay in business. The demand is so low and the market is changing so fast it seems like more of a hobby pursuit than a product with any real lifespan.

OK, I have not read a single post of a full aftermarket battery install that failed.

Still glad to see aftermarket getting started. My LEAF never really performed (range) as Nissan implied it would. In that sense I became stranded with a car that did not operate for my needs and that is with a Nissan battery.

Would you post that you spent a bunch of money and then it messed up your car? Can be embarrassing. I warned one person not to buy one from one particular company and after that person did it never worked properly. Another person here solicited help to remove theirs and get their LEAF working again, I know because it caused a bunch of issues on their car and I know them personally. They got rid of the LEAF and bought another longer range EV, probably would have been a better first decision. I don't see this as a viable business model nor very safe to say the least. I think logic goes out the door when it comes to range extension.

2048Megabytes

Fri May 06, 2016 7:03 pm

That is disheartening to hear that no third party company can presently expand electric car range. No one knows of one that does quality work other than a manufacturer?

Guess I will just have to wait for the 2nd generation of electric vehicles. I likely won't even look at the General Motors Chevrolet Bolt. I am bitter at being treated poorly by General Motors and not impressed by a vehicle I bought in the past that was practically new. (It was a Chevrolet Aveo).

EVDRIVER

Fri May 06, 2016 8:05 pm

2048Megabytes wrote:That is disheartening to hear that no third party company can presently expand electric car range. No one knows of one that does quality work other than a manufacturer?

Guess I will just have to wait for the 2nd generation of electric vehicles. I likely won't even look at the General Motors Chevrolet Bolt. I am bitter at being treated poorly by General Motors and not impressed by a vehicle I bought in the past that was practically new. (It was a Chevrolet Aveo).

They can but it makes no economic sense to do it properly.

Evoforce
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015

Fri May 06, 2016 10:33 pm

I would definitely say that it is not all a forgone conclusion yet. Many people find value in converting older cars in particular, even if it seems to not to hold value in someone else's mind.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

EVDRIVER

Fri May 06, 2016 11:11 pm

Evoforce wrote:I would definitely say that it is not all a forgone conclusion yet. Many people find value in converting older cars in particular, even if it seems to not to hold value in someone else's mind.

Converting older cars to what? Gas:) How many people that thought Prius plug in extension packs were the greatest idea? How many of those companies are thriving today....? I'm confident that this is a non-starter just like the push trailer business posted here that were a "great business idea". That horse is dog food now. Any pizza bets on this one? How about generators that slide into trailer hitches? The drop in range extender gensets? Remember those? Poof.

Evoforce
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015

Sat May 07, 2016 4:37 am

Again... You may see no value in it, but as electric vehicles get older and older there will be more people interested in keeping those cars on the road, and in doing so will want to make them as up to date in capacity (range) as they can. Our current cars are quickly getting behind the curve and I believe many will look for a way to keep them viable. When you can buy the car cheap, you have a lot more room to play with engineering... You personally may just move on to the next new toy, while someone else for other reasons may want to repurpose or add to, what in many respects, could be made to be like new.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

EVDRIVER

Sat May 07, 2016 7:18 am

Evoforce wrote:Again... You may see no value in it, but as electric vehicles get older and older there will be more people interested in keeping those cars on the road, and in doing so will want to make them as up to date in capacity (range) as they can. Our current cars are quickly getting behind the curve and I believe many will look for a way to keep them viable. When you can buy the car cheap, you have a lot more room to play with engineering... You personally may just move on to the next new toy, while someone else for other reasons may want to repurpose or add to, what in many respects, could be made to be like new.

I never said someone would not want to keep an old EV, I have done this before the LEAF was even a known vehicle. Nor am I saying someone would value extended range on an existing or old EV. If you have an old EV you could likely get better range with an improved replacement pack. My point is that making a business out of dropping pack extenders into the passenger cabin is simply not going to be a sustainable business because the cost to do so properly and safely does not leave room for profit, not at a price point that makes sense to the general consumer. Anyone that has experience building an EV knows the costs for materials, NRE and insurance would make this prohibitive. The weight, packaging and engineering issues alone are simply laughable based on cabin based models. This model has been proven to fail over and over in the past and as existing packs get more range it makes the model even less viable.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Sat May 07, 2016 11:53 am

EVDRIVER wrote:Would you post that you spent a bunch of money and then it messed up your car?
People do this all day long.
Not just an EV thing.

Have you not read about the Nissan battery complaints? The original LEAF battery was about the worst screw up ever.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

EVDRIVER

Sat May 07, 2016 12:49 pm

smkettner wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:Would you post that you spent a bunch of money and then it messed up your car?
People do this all day long.
Not just an EV thing.

Have you not read about the Nissan battery complaints? The original LEAF battery was about the worst screw up ever.

What do factory battery complaints have to do with making a decision to buy an aftermarket part from a questionable company and then realizing it was a bad decision? You lost me on that comparison. Since few people even took this leap in the past on other closed companies certainly there are few posted complaints here. I know of two people that actually got burned on this forum but never posted, mostly because they ignored many common sense warnings. Not sure how many other people wasted $4-6k on these type of things. Of course there are also many people here that were warned over and over about the Vegas EVSE scammer and still sent the guy money even after there were repeated people posting here about his scam many times. People will believe what they want because it's what they want to hear and no amount of reason can stop them. Let's see who actually buys a reliable, safe, crash worthy supplemental pack that works from a company that will be here in a year or two. If batteries were dirt cheap and high density then this would make sense and once they are it's all moot.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”