TimLee
Posts: 2810
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: Nissan Battery Replacement Program, Cost

Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:27 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:... but the concerns you list are present in EVERY used car so lets not make this EV specific

But Dave in the 5 year old near 100,000 mile vehicle that JP is discussing, in an ICE vehicle they are not of the same magnitude.

A repair or refurbish matching the vehicle market total price is fairly unique to the EV.

I was fortunate to have put enough usage on my 2011 LEAF to get Nissan to put in a new pack at 34,000 miles when it lost the fourth bar two weeks past five years.

But even with that it is extremely disposable in that it will need another new pack at 75,000 to 80,000 miles.

The Nissan LEAF is markedly more disposable than almost all moderate cost ICE vehicles.

NOTE: I still love the LEAF. But it is unfortunately disposable as JP stated. Still a great local neighborhood vehicle for a long time. But NOT for its original design intent.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 12070
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan Battery Replacement Program, Cost

Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:59 am

yeah that sounds good but seeing a lot of used LEAFs with new packs that are not selling for a price high enough to account for the pack. so yeah, if its free, it works...
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 24,261.3 miles.363 GIDAhr 80.66Hx95.95%kwh28.1QCs205,L2's 226
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1629
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Nissan Battery Replacement Program, Cost

Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:39 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:yeah that sounds good but seeing a lot of used LEAFs with new packs that are not selling for a price high enough to account for the pack. so yeah, if its free, it works...


True. The uneven degradation and the lack of pro-rated warranty seems to be yet another market distortion.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

pweisel
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:07 pm
Delivery Date: 19 Aug 2013

Re: Nissan Battery Replacement Program, Cost

Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:19 pm

Another angle - sell the older Leaf for what ever you can get. Buy a newer used Leaf with the newer battery technology.

ncscenic
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:20 pm
Delivery Date: 07 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 6427

Re: Nissan Battery Replacement Program, Cost

Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:52 pm

Decided to go ahead and purchase a new battery to be installed Thursday. Will be nice to have full range again. As expected, we lost our 4th bar sometime last week, well past the October 26th warranty period. Basically, though, for 6 grand, we'll have what we consider to be a "new" car. We'll see how this experiment goes. The only puzzlement might come if we have an accident, as the car only books for 5K or so.

Reddy
Posts: 1419
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828
Location: Pasco, WA

Re: Nissan Battery Replacement Program, Cost

Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:38 pm

ncscenic wrote:Decided to go ahead and purchase a new battery to be installed Thursday. Will be nice to have full range again. As expected, we lost our 4th bar sometime last week, well past the October 26th warranty period. Basically, though, for 6 grand, we'll have what we consider to be a "new" car. We'll see how this experiment goes. The only puzzlement might come if we have an accident, as the car only books for 5K or so.
No puzzlement needed. It's already happened and been reported here on MNL.com. Spoiler alert: Don't crash it. You won't have any significantly higher value or payout if totaled.
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 46.44 AHr; 40,067 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Posts: 1402
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Nissan Battery Replacement Program, Cost

Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:29 pm

Reddy wrote:
ncscenic wrote:Decided to go ahead and purchase a new battery to be installed Thursday. Will be nice to have full range again. As expected, we lost our 4th bar sometime last week, well past the October 26th warranty period. Basically, though, for 6 grand, we'll have what we consider to be a "new" car. We'll see how this experiment goes. The only puzzlement might come if we have an accident, as the car only books for 5K or so.
No puzzlement needed. It's already happened and been reported here on MNL.com. Spoiler alert: Don't crash it. You won't have any significantly higher value or payout if totaled.


If accident is other driver's fault, you can fight with their insurance company, show receipts, etc. to possibly get some reimbursement for your battery expense. There is little or no chance to recoup the full price paid. I argued with the adjuster for about a month after the other driver's insurance company declared my 2011 a total loss even though it was technically repairable (I drove it out of the intersection after the crash). I ultimately received some compensation for the fact that it was worth more than similar cars because the battery had been replaced by Nissan, but not enough to buy a truly comparable 2011.

Gerry
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

ncscenic
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:20 pm
Delivery Date: 07 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 6427

Re: Nissan Battery Replacement Program, Cost

Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:40 pm

Thanks. Good to know.

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 12070
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan Battery Replacement Program, Cost

Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:33 am

This is something the insurance company simply isn't concerned with due to low number of replaced batteries. As more claims come in, they will develop a standard for it. On any claim there is a place to enter in any mods you have lost including price and date of install. in a replacement battery situation, you need to emphasize that you have a 2016 battery pack in an older car. You might not get the result you wanted but this is how you start the process of getting it later down the road.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 24,261.3 miles.363 GIDAhr 80.66Hx95.95%kwh28.1QCs205,L2's 226
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
JPWhite
Gold Member
Posts: 1751
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:41 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5734
Location: Hendersonville TN
Contact: Website WLM Yahoo Messenger AOL

Re: Nissan Battery Replacement Program, Cost

Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:58 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:This is something the insurance company simply isn't concerned with due to low number of replaced batteries. As more claims come in, they will develop a standard for it. On any claim there is a place to enter in any mods you have lost including price and date of install. in a replacement battery situation, you need to emphasize that you have a 2016 battery pack in an older car. You might not get the result you wanted but this is how you start the process of getting it later down the road.


The only way an insurance company will add a significant amount to compensate for a new battery is if the value of a used LEAF with a new battery pack is worth considerably more on the second hand car market. (currently that's not the case).

Insurance companies will only pay out what the car is worth. If the marketplace does not value a new pack very much the insurance will not pay out much more either.

It's not a question of establishing a new insurance standard, it's a question of real world value.

Be aware that replacing a worn battery is not considered a "mod" that adds value like say a premium sound system, it simply returns the cars battery to its original condition with the same range and charging characteristics when new. A 2016 battery does not add any extra range or otherwise improve the car. The 2016 battery simply wears out more slowly (or so we are lead to believe). Its like putting 60,000 mile tires on instead of 30,000 mile OEM tires. They cost more to buy, but add no extra value over the OEM tires.

The way I have seen insurance work is they start with what they consider to be the retail value of the car in excellent condition, then they start deducting for wear and tear. The best you can hope to get is the cars value in excellent condition.
--
JP White
http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com
Blue SL-e, Res 4/22/10, Ord 3/29/11, Del 7/30/11
110,000 Miles.
Lost 5 Capacity bars
7/18/13 (29,206), 8/25/14 (51,728), 7/12/15 (71.108), 5/12/16 (88,362), 10/17/16 (96,532)
New Battery 12/3/16 (98,956)

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”