Fast charging (DC charge, chademo) timer question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tn77

I haven't used the fast charger yet but I will next week. My question: does it still take the scheduled charging times into account? Or does it bypass that? Anything else I should know?

Thank you for the answer.

As for the previous thread: I did search the forums. Nothing shows up for "fast charge timer" or "chademo timer" or whatever. Again, no one has pointed me to that thread or told me what I should have searched to find it. Don't blame me.

Hey, that's great. Keep criticizing this thread. I just added all the possible keywords I thought would help people.

Meanwhile, if there's an old thread, no one has shown it.

tn77 said:
Hey, that's great. Keep criticizing this thread. I just added all the possible keywords I thought would help people.

Meanwhile, if there's an old thread, no one has shown it.

ignore them. they probably couldn't find it either

Since the title of this thread may get some search results, I will answer the charge timer question and provide additional information for future reference:

The normal charge port (also known as J1772 port) is always supervised or controlled by the active charge timer(s) regardless of the actual AC charging voltage and current. The trickle charge EVSEs supplied with USA LEAFs will allow a maximum of 12 amperes charging current at 120 volts for maximum charging power of 1.4 kW. LEAFs with 3.3 kW onboard chargers will draw a maximum of about 16 amperes at 240 volts (18 amperes at 208 volts). LEAFs with 6 kW onboard chargers will draw a maximum of about 28 amperes at 240 volts (30 amperes at 208 volts).

If equipped, the quick charge port (also known as CHAdeMO port) is not supervised by the charge timer(s). It accepts DC charging current up to about 125 amperes at almost 400 volts for a maximum charge rate of about 50 kW from the external charger.

Gerry

Perhaps I should remove 6.6 from this subject title because I was confused on that part.

Out of curiosity: How does one know if their charger is 3.3 or 6.6?

If you use the Nissan EV app on your phone, it will show you times for charging on trickle, normal 3.6kW or normal 6.6kW. If yours doesn't have 6.6kW, that option won't have a time but instead will have --:--

Perfect, thanks! Mine is --:--

I guess I always thought that meant the DC charge. I assume the 6.6 is an upgrade at the time of purchase? (My leaf is used.) It's still the usual J-type connector, just faster?

If your car has the fast charge port, it is the 6.6kw version (for J1772 port).

OK, so another pretty important feature is to know about the regular onboard charger too, not just the DC Fast Charge. On the leaf it can be a 3.3KW or a 6.6KW. The difference basically is that the 6.6KW charges twice as fast from a regular 240V station, reducing the full charge time down to around 4 hours instead of 8. So, here’s how to tell which models have this.

2011/2012 Year Models – They all have 3.3KW
2013-2015 S models can have 3.3KW unless they have the DC fast charge port, in which case they also get upgraded to 6.6KW.
2013-2015 SV and SL models all have 6.6KW charging.

Source: http://insideevs.com/used-nissan-leaf-buying-guide/

tn77 said:
Perhaps I should remove 6.6 from this subject title because I was confused on that part.

Out of curiosity: How does one know if their charger is 3.3 or 6.6?

well was going to let this one go since I figured there would be several answers but....

if you want the easy method. simply toggle to the charging time screen. it will either list 6.6 time or not

Concerning the problem of not being able to find a subject on this forum. I find much more success using Google. Many times it points to this forum and sometimes it finds the answer elsewhere.

Back