Didn't-Charge Mystery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PianoAl

Can you guys help me solve this mystery?

My wife plugged in the car yesterday, as usual, with about 23% left. The charge timer has always been set to finish at 7 AM.

Today, she unplugs the car, drives off, and discovers that it is still at 23%. She comes back and takes our ICE truck.

I plug the LEAF in, and it starts charging immediately. I check the menus and find that timed charging has been set to off. I set it back to on, and unplug/replug and it displays its normal 1-2-3 waiting-to-charge indicator.

Mystery 1: How did the timed charging get turned off?

It's possible that my wife pushed a bunch of buttons and set it to off, but unlikely. She knows almost nothing about the menu. I'm sure I didn't do it.

Mystery 2: Even if timed charging was off, why didn't it charge?

IOW, even if the timed charging got switched off, it should have charged up when my wife plugged it in.

My wife had a similar issue. I checked things before she unplugged. The plug was in, but not "clicked." She just didn't push it in far enough.
Now that she knows how it feels when clicked, all is well.

qualitytech123 said:
My wife had a similar issue. I checked things before she unplugged. The plug was in, but not "clicked." She just didn't push it in far enough.
Now that she knows how it feels when clicked, all is well.

Right. I was thinking that, but that certainly wouldn't turn off timed charge.

My wife reminded me that I plugged it in yesterday, right when she came home. I'm wondering if I plugged it in before she shut off the car. But I know I plugged it in all the way.

I just experimented. You can't open the charge door if the car is still on, so that wouldn't explain it.

I shut it off, opened the door, turned it on, plugged it in, and it didn't indicate charging timer mode (1-2-3). But when I turn it off, it goes into the timed mode. Huh.

I've complained before that the 1-2-3 LED display should keep going until it starts charging. That way, when we checked the car before going to bed we would have noticed that it wasn't set right.

I am at a loss... The only charge failures I have had were due to an intermittent cable fault or line voltage power outage due to a tripped breaker...

My conclusion is that my wife, in pushing buttons to get from the efficiency display (my fav) to the SOC display (hers), must have happened to hit just the right (or wrong) combination to shut off the timed charging.

Unlikely, but S#&% happens.

Today we went on a drive, charged at a public station, came home, plugged in, and it started charging!

I checked, and timed charging mode had again been turned off. I'm the only one who's driven or touched the buttons.

Something is causing the timed charge mode to be switched off! I can't explain it.

its a long shot. do you have a battery tender? if so connect up to the 12volt and run until it's fully charged. almost all of my leaf gremlins go away when i have fully happy 12v battery

if you have leafspy pro, run the DTC scanner and make you have no codes... if you do clear them once the battery is full.

DuncanCunningham said:
its a long shot. do you have a battery tender? if so connect up to the 12volt and run until it's fully charged. almost all of my leaf gremlins go away when i have fully happy 12v battery

if you have leafspy pro, run the DTC scanner and make you have no codes... if you do clear them once the battery is full.

You may be on to something. I've been leaving my KW902 dongle on. Today, after sitting for ten hours, the 12 V battery was at 11.68V.

Perhaps while waiting to charge, the battery dropped enough, and timed charge got turned off??

Back